Thread: WIM chat addon

WIM chat addon

Hi, I wanted to check my chat history but I got following message:

"Your WIM history is damaged beyond repair and must be erased before it can be used again do to having conversation with a realid friend that has no battletag. This bug has been fixed in WIM but your history cannot be repaired"

Anyone know how to fix this?
    I have no idea what caused it since I was checking the history a couple of hours ago and it was working just fine.

Thanks for your help.

Check the date/content of the backed up saved variables at \WTF\Account\[accountname]\SavedVariables\WIM.lua.bak.
    Any text editor such as notepad should be able to open it.

If it appears to contain what you want, could try and copy/delete the current saved variables, and then rename removing the .bak so that the addon will try to load that again.
    If using windows, you could try restoring a previous version of the WIM.lua file by right-clicking and choosing "Restore Previous Versions".
    Make sure to do that when wow isn't running though.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2015-10-15 at 08:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

It's just so annoying WIM freaks out as soon as you delete a person from your real ID and he's in your chat history.
    Just got in touch with the current project manager of WIM and he said the original maker and much more experienced author of it quit WoW during Cata and he has been in charge since but doesn't know how to fix it. He also noted someone more experienced might be able to find a solution. But sadly no one has reached out it seems.

His words:
    Someone smarter could maybe fix problem but unfortunately I only maintain the addon as best I can since original and superior author quit playing wow. I've been maintaining WIM since probably cataclysm which is why it's pretty much gained no new features in quite some time. Just stays working.

Depending on the nature of how you want to access chat history, perhaps take a look at Elephant @ Curse for future use.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I actually only use WIM for the chat history function. Disabled the separate chat windows option it has since I want all chats/whispers to appear in 1 chat box.
    Elephant seems like the addon I have been searching for all along.

Thanks a lot!

Edit: Damn, seems Elephant doesn't filter whispers by character and all throws them in one big chat?
    Last edited by LickMeh; 2015-10-16 at 01:53 AM.

Try opening a chat window in WIM and then click on the little icon in the top right of the window to open the history. It will still spew the errors but open the history window anyways. If you try to open the history window directly it will spew the errors and refuse to open. This is how I have worked around this annoying bug for years.

Quote Originally Posted by LickMeh View Post
    I actually only use WIM for the chat history function. Disabled the separate chat windows option it has since I want all chats/whispers to appear in 1 chat box.
    Elephant seems like the addon I have been searching for all along.

Thanks a lot!

Edit: Damn, seems Elephant doesn't filter whispers by character and all throws them in one big chat?
    I haven't used it extensively, and certainly not as a proper chat log.
    Mostly as a tool to look back on stuff I missed, so couldn't immediately think of a better option.