Question Possibility of a Trans-African Maglev Train?

Imagine a Maglev train that traveled from Cairo to Johannesburg in a day's time? What benefits would a many billion dollar investment into any transcontinental Maglev train that could allow you to reach a destination in a day's time.

15+ Year Old Account
    If it transfers goods, sure thing. For people, completely useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Virtually nil. Especially for goods ^^

Takes them days to weeks to clear goods at the border as is.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'd have some dumbass warlord knockout a section of track to rob it not knowing how fast it goes. >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not just fly? You can get from London to Johannesburg in half a day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Imagine a Maglev train that traveled from Cairo to Johannesburg in a day's time? What benefits would a many billion dollar investment into any transcontinental Maglev train that could allow you to reach a destination in a day's time.
    Good luck preventing people from stealing the tracks.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Good luck preventing people from stealing the tracks.

Or this with a 600km/h train....
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I don't think you realize how big Africa is, and how hostile much of the terrain that would need to be crossed would be.

This under the presumption that you can maintain security at the full length of the line. Then there's the issue of the reliable power supply, the actually construction of the line and it's maintenance etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post

Or this with a 600km/h train....
    Yeah, this is a real thing. I encountered a bunch of these in my time in Mozambique. It was a smaller truck and about half as many people, but still formidable as hell. I don't know how they prevent the axles from snapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    You'd have some dumbass warlord knockout a section of track to rob it not knowing how fast it goes. >.<
    It would die a slow death from lack of maintenance in all likelihood.

The british already tried to build a railway across africa ages ago, I think it was south to Cairo, I am not sure how much is left but to this day it fails to be competitive, large sections of the track find themselves pilfered for scrap metal and the sleepers are prized as well. What does remain I don't think has been repaired since independence. I can take some pictures of you want, you will question how they can still run trains on it. High maintenance delicate hardware is just not something you do here.

Oh and let us not forget that SA has not built a power plant since 1996, the rest of africa not much better. In Zambia they are still creaming it from Kariba dam, which is at capacity now. Their big plan seems to be to raise electricity prices>???>profit. The chinese are the ones building a new power plant and it is most likely a handout for more mining rights. How is this thing going to move?

No, this is a spectacularly terrible idea on the best of days on this continent. Never mind that freight is more about volume than speed, and maglevs are not exactly famous for their load bearing capabilities so you are really left competing for passengers, of which there are not that many and they just fly. Better of taking your billions and doing some good old fashion road repair if you are feeling so generous, will be a good couple of years until they ruin it with overloading - AGAIN. Hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I don't know how they prevent the axles from snapping.
    Well that is easy, they don't! I saw a bus on a roundabout a few years ago, the rear axle decided to call it a day and kept going straight, the rest of the vehicle turned. It does not seem mechanically possible but it happened. You had the whole rear end step out of the bus, never seen anything like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    It would die a slow death from lack of maintenance in all likelihood.

The british already tried to build a railway across africa ages ago, I think it was south to Cairo, I am not sure how much is left but to this day it fails to be competitive, large sections of the track find themselves pilfered for scrap metal and the sleepers are prized as well. What does remain I don't think has been repaired since independence. I can take some pictures of you want, you will question how they can still run trains on it. High maintenance delicate hardware is just not something you do here.

Oh and let us not forget that SA has not built a power plant since 1996, the rest of africa not much better. In Zambia they are still creaming it from Kariba dam, which is at capacity now. Their big plan seems to be to raise electricity prices>???>profit. The chinese are the ones building a new power plant and it is most likely a handout for more mining rights. How is this thing going to move?

No, this is a spectacularly terrible idea on the best of days on this continent. Never mind that freight is more about volume than speed, and maglevs are not exactly famous for their load bearing capabilities so you are really left competing for passengers, of which there are not that many and they just fly. Better of taking your billions and doing some good old fashion road repair if you are feeling so generous, will be a good couple of years until they ruin it with overloading - AGAIN. Hopeless.

Well that is easy, they don't! I saw a bus on a roundabout a few years ago, the rear axle decided to call it a day and kept going straight, the rest of the vehicle turned. It does not seem mechanically possible but it happened. You had the whole rear end step out of the bus, never seen anything like it.
    Yeah, people who have never spent any significant amount of time in Africa always either underestimate it, or they concentrate too much on the wrong things, like warlords. The real problems are more like the things you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_to_Cairo_Railway