Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

"This is why we don't come forward" women say after Ghomeshi not guilty decision

The chorus outside Old City Hall hit its peak once a judge acquitted former CBC Radio host Jian Ghomeshi on all charges of sexual assault and choking, the outraged shouts of "I believe survivors" reverberating off the courthouse steps and in more than 10,000 posts online.
    In rendering a not guilty decision, Ontario Court of Justice Judge William Horkins said he simply could not trust the three complainants, given their shifting memories and evidence that at times strayed into outright lies.

And while he acknowledged that victims of abuse may rely on one another for support, he said the 5,000 messages exchanged between actress Lucy DeCoutere and another complainant sounded like they could be plotting to ruin the former broadcaster.

"While this anger and this animus may simply reflect the legitimate feelings of victims of abuse, it also raises the need for the court to proceed with caution," he said. "Ms. DeCoutere and S.D. considered themselves to be a 'team' and the goal was to bring down Mr. Ghomeshi."

Outside the courthouse, the judge's decision drew an impassioned response. As Crown prosecutor Michael Callaghan stood in front of a stand of microphones giving reporters his reaction, a topless female protester jumped in front of him, yelling "Ghomeshi guilty!" knocking over the stand.

Police tackled the woman to the ground and took her back inside the courthouse as she struggled and kicked the door. She was handcuffed by police and led into the back of a police cruiser.

Other protesters outside the courtroom chanted, "We believe survivors."

Women's groups said the ruling, and in particular the judge's scathing comments about inconsistencies in the three complainants' stories during the trial, shines a spotlight on everything that's wrong with a system designed to find justice in such cases.

University of Toronto law professor Brenda Cossman said witnesses are held to unrealistic standards to prove their cases in the current court system.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ling-1.3505446

Do you think he was guilty?
    Will this case make it less likely for women survivors of sexual violence to come forward?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Oh look, another tennis thread.

Whether he is guilty or not depends on the evidence we have.

10+ Year Old Account
    So wait, women don't come forward since it doesn't guaranty a conviction?

Eh.

Hopefully, the "women survivors of sexual violence" who are also outright liars about it will indeed stop coming forward.

It'd make the world a better place for everyone involved.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

Will this case make it less likely for women survivors of sexual violence to come forward?
    haven't one of those women explicitly said she lied?
    University of Toronto law professor Brenda Cossman said witnesses are held to unrealistic standards to prove their cases in the current court system.
    Amazing - they already get an easier time than everyone else - and this is still not enough.
    Does she want to reinstate the inquisition?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Nope. I think I will go with the outcome of the trial. You know, that thing where people get together to hear all the evidence and not just bits and pieces that are hand picked by whatever media outlet.

And while he acknowledged that victims of abuse may rely on one another for support, he said the 5,000 messages exchanged between actress Lucy DeCoutere and another complainant sounded like they could be plotting to ruin the former broadcaster.
    They should learn how to plot their stuff without getting other people to read it.

Dont use twitter for that you amateurs!

Topless protestor.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Topless protestor.
    Clearly she didn't get the memo. No ugly chic boobs allowed!

[IMG]http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2576667.1458848047!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_635/canada-trial.jpg[IMG]

Topless protestor.

[IMG]http://thumbnails.cbc.ca/maven_legacy/thumbnails/806/691/ghomeshi-topless-protester_2500kbps_852x480_2685884064.jpg[IMG]
    Couldn't they atleast use a sexy one like the "femen" group does? I mean this is just disgusting and that haircut + body + face is really destroying the whole thing.

This is not what I expected for my monthly patriachy membership subscription.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2016-03-24 at 08:52 PM.

"We don't come forward because they don't suspend due process for those accused of sex crimes."

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    "We don't come forward because they don't suspend due process for those accused of sex crimes."
    Lmao, in a nutshell. I fucking love how "justice" is now whatever people personally believe it to be and not what is concluded through trial and jury. "Oh these women were victims!" Okay, let's hear the evidence. Evidence ultimately doesn't add up to 'beyond a doubt' and therefore is not enough to convict the accused. "THE SYSTEM IS OPPRESSIVE HE GUILTY! WUT ABOUT DUH WOMENZ?!"

If this sort of lame ass argument was used in reverse you'd never hear the end of it.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2016-03-24 at 08:57 PM.

Awwww, people have to prove that someone is guilty?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

so not only was there not enough evidence to convict, but on the contrary there was evidence of lying from the prosecution witnesses? I hope they are now charged with lying under oath or whatever the law is.

'this is why we don't come forward' literally just makes them look stupid in a case where they are proven to be lying to further their own goals.. you are simply highlighting what is WRONG with blindly following fuckwits like this
    "There are no substitutes for violence of action and volume of fire. Move forward and shoot, always forward and shooting. The enemy will choose to fight and die or live and run either way move forward and shoot and he will fear you absolutely."
    - Otto Skoernzy

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know the details of the case and the trial, and whether he is guilty or not is not up to me to decide. But regardless, screaming, "He is guilty!", while topless is not the best way to make one's case.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Awwww, people have to prove that someone is guilty?
    IKR, what a terrible injustice, women are so terrible oppressed.

Topless protestor.
    She kind of looks like Chunk from Goonies doing the truffle shuffle.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

I think Ghomeshi is a piece of shit but the evidence against him was laughable. The accusers were caught in outright lies dozens of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    IKR, what a terrible injustice, women are so terrible oppressed.
    Due process is sexist and must be banned.
    Your powers are useless on me you silly billy...

10+ Year Old Account
    "We believe survivors."
    I have no doubt of that. Funny how "belief" doesn't require evidence, unlike the justice system.