Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Us and them Blizzard

Blizzard aparently isnt a company by gamers for gamers anymore. Bad move Blizzard.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/10/bli...ml5-starcraft/

Deleted
    if a company does not defend their intellectual property they are gonna *lose* any copyright on them, expecting any company to just leave something like that alone is highly unrealistic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    if a company does not defend their intellectual property they are gonna *lose* any copyright on them, expecting any company to just leave something like that alone is highly unrealistic
    Nah, it's because its Blizzard. It wouldnt fit OPs narrative if it would be done by more companies.

Erm, don't get me wrong, I have plenty of gripes with Blizzard, but what's the issue here?

7+ Year Old Account
    I dont see any problem with this

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Erm, don't get me wrong, I have plenty of gripes with Blizzard, but what's the issue here?
    You realize that people open 5 of these useless circlejerk trash threads, right?

Post constructively. -Infracted. Lucetia
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2015-10-19 at 09:17 PM.

Instead of embracing their fans, Blizzard only loves their fans that give them money. Besides the code removed from Github is not Blizzards property, the gfx is. Making a game based on someone elses idea isnt something new... Warcraft series was a Dune 2 clone. Were talking about a 17 years old game here...

Quote Originally Posted by staal View Post
    Bad move Blizzard.
    Unlikely. They are a company- their goal is to make money and they must legally protect their copyrights. It is not an option- they must.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Unlikely. They are a company- their goal is to make money and they must legally protect their copyrights. It is not an option- they must.
    Ofcourse, their property. However the Github code was not Blizzards property, the gfx was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ofcourse, their property. However the Github code was not Blizzards property, the gfx was.
    The IP of Starcraft II and such is their property. They are defending it properly. Stop trying to be so petty. It'd be one thing if the game was really really old but Starcraft II? No it's too new.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Instead of embracing their fans, Blizzard only loves their fans that give them money. Besides the code removed from Github is not Blizzards property, the gfx is. Making a game based on someone elses idea isnt something new... Warcraft series was a Dune 2 clone. Were talking about a 17 years old game here...
    You can base a game off another game if you want, to literally recreate a game - from the mechanics down to the visuals - is generally something that no company is going to stand for, especially if it's for one of their important IP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    The IP of Starcraft II and such is their property. They are defending it properly. Stop trying to be so petty. It'd be one thing if the game was really really old but Starcraft II? No it's too new.
    Well Blizzard built their entire IP of Warcraft and Starcraft by mimicing others code. Dune 2. I cant see anything new here only that their gfx was used.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well Blizzard built their entire IP of Warcraft and Starcraft by mimicing others code. Dune 2. I cant see anything new here only that their gfx was used.
    Thats basically like saying that companies ripped off world of warcraft by making new mmos

Copyright for code does not work how you think- you can bring a suit against just functions and it is why a programmer can be sued even if they had no prior knowledge of existing code. The art assets and similarity to Blizzard's Starcraft definitely infringes on their license too.

So Blizzard is personally responsible for the method in which the game was removed?

Or is it more likely that Blizzard filed a perfectly legitimate copyright violation, and in response Github removed the entire project?

But then, since you don't personally like it, logic and legality are completely irrelevant, all that matters is that BLIZZARD IS TEH BAD GAI, right? >.>

Well Blizzard built their entire IP of Warcraft and Starcraft by mimicing others code.
    Source? Yes, Warcraft was inspired heavily by Warhammer, but Blizzard did not use Warhammer assets/details in it.

Dune 2. I cant see anything new here only that their gfx was used.
    Gameplay was similar to that of many RTS games at the time, but similarity doesn't matter. This is an example of taking the entire game and recreating it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah companies take ideas from everyone all the time and they tweak it and change it to form their own IPs. You are splitting fucking hairs here.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

In what fucking way is it a clone? The only thing they have in common is that they are both in the RTS genre. Warcraft and Dune have as much in common as Doom and CoD, the genre.

The HTML5 project used Blizzard's IP and assets directly pulled from their game Starcraft 2. That is a clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Copyright for code does not work how you think- you can bring a suit against just functions and it is why a programmer can be sued even if they had no prior knowledge of existing code. The art assets and similarity to Blizzard's Starcraft definitely infringes on their license too.
    Only problem I see is that Blizzard build their company on the same tactics and then as a enormously huge company they frown upon others doing the same. It gives me and probably many others a bad taste paying them money after.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    In what fucking way is it a clone? The only thing they have in common is that they are both in the RTS genre. Warcraft and Dune have as much in common as Doom and CoD, the genre.

The HTML5 project used Blizzard's IP and assets directly pulled from their game Starcraft 2. That is a clone.
    the game dynamics is the same, collector, strategy build base type game. the gfx are different. Code could be identical afaik.

7+ Year Old Account
    Only problem I see is that Blizzard build their company on the same tactics and then as a enormously huge company they frown upon others doing the same. It gives me and probably many others a bad taste paying them money after.
    Blizzard has never copied another game like what has happened
    All their projects have been original