Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    Civility? Kindness? This is a country whose national sport is ice hockey. It's gonna take more than a dynastic prettyboy to pull themselves back from the gaping hole of ice hockey.

I fail to see why this is even discussed. Liberal have enough elected to be 50/50 easily and enough seat in different provinces to even do it while still being proportional in regional representations? Out of 180+ elected, you gave way more then "1" economist and no clear best. Infact theres 5 amazing choices for economist alone, same goes for pretty much any other department. Merit is not in question, they were all elected for that purpose. So its all up to the leader to decide and its not like non minister depute in the liberal party are gona have no input in anything the government does just because they arent part of the executive. Its a none issue and never was. Thats why most of our provinces also participate in 50/50 minister parity, because its not a competitive company, its all elected people, which means the party pre selected these people very firmly for certain possible jobs. These people are offered positions on their merits before the election even began.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    Civility? Kindness? This is a country whose national sport is ice hockey.
    National winter sport. The national summer sport is lacrosse.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Which is arguably even more violent than hockey, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    So for the three weeks where it's warm enough to do so you guys play lacrosse? That isn't compelling at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Given that the status quo has been a predominance of male Cabinet ministers, Trudeau's promise is implicitly to bring in more women. You're taking issue with that, and the grounds on which you're basing that opposition is "merit". Meaning your position is necessarily based on a presumption that female MPs have generally less merit than male MPs.

Implicit logic is a thing, dude. Just because you didn't come right out and explicitly say something, that doesn't mean it isn't implicitly clear what you're driving at.

I see so by not believing in quotas I failed some purity test...

I don't even know what to say to you. What is there to say?

Happy witch hunting?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    2 People can be qualified Chefs.

Doesn't mean 1 is not a 3 star Michelin Chef whilst the other works in a 4 star Restaurant.

Making a Quota based on only being "qualified" whilst overlooking experience and talent is silly. if 9/10 Women were more Qualified than the Men? Awesome 9/10 should be Women on the board. If 9/10 Men are more Qualified than the Women, then Awesome 9/10 of the Board should be Men.

Making it a 50/50 split and disregarding potentially better people based on a retarded Gender equality Quota is just leaving your business open to lower productivity.
    Well, the other issue is that you start bringing in people who don't have the experience and might not bring the right representation to the job that someone else would. They might not represent the values of all Canadians and might only be in it to push the agenda of say a minority. I mean, we have a bunch of elected First Nations people going to Ottawa and obviously their focus is going to be on representing their people who have been tread on by Harper but still don't want to take full responsibility for their issues among their people. I don't have an issue with these kinds of people being elected, but I can see special interest groups impeding progress on some issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    Civility? Kindness? This is a country whose national sport is ice hockey. It's gonna take more than a dynastic prettyboy to pull themselves back from the gaping hole of ice hockey.
    And yet we are the best at hockey. Silly American

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Well, the other issue is that you start bringing in people who don't have the experience and might not bring the right representation to the job that someone else would. They might not represent the values of all Canadians and might only be in it to push the agenda of say a minority.
    All the candidates to be Cabinet members are already elected Members of Parliament. They've already been elected through popular vote in their own ridings. Their purpose is to be the political leader of various portfolios; the civil service underneath them still has the bulk of the actual legislative power in those portfolios.

Their election means they represent their ridings, as much as any MP represents their ridings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    How is wanting the best person regardless of gender a false dichotomy...?
    This guy must be new to politics for sure.
    Cabinet has never been chosen this way and to all of a sudden expect it to be this time is really naive.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Another person who doesn't know a Damn thing about modern economic theory...

Btw I don't play WoW, hate cheetos, work and go to school full time and more than likely in better shape than you, better looking than you, and all around more fun to be around.

- - - Updated - - -

Idk....look,at the post above yours...lots of anger and jealousy there.
    Well perhaps there is anger in that post but im pretty sure the anger is not at the rich, more on the people (the temporary enbarrased millionaires) that keep not getting it and keep voting against their selfinterest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    This guy must be new to politics for sure.
    Cabinet has never been chosen this way and to all of a sudden expect it to be this time is really naive.
    Naive is expecting positions staffed by women will by default cater more effectively to women's issues.