Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    You people are fucking soft.
    I wish no dinner was a offer. When I was growing up it was a pinch to the thigh and ass whoppin if I acted up. But you ppl , I bet you think my parents were monsters for spanking us.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Taking away their dinner entirely could be construed as child abuse.

Giving them green beans and a plain chicken breast while everyone else gets pizza, though, is a perfectly reasonable punishment.
    kid's won't die if they miss a meal.

really shitty kids might if they miss all the meals though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Which isn't starvation. You're using the wrong word and not understanding its definition.
    I don't give a shit about the definition of the word because I'm not talking about the literal process of starving. I'm sure you're not socially inept and understand when words are used to mean something outside the literal definition in order to convey a strong feeling. We do not speak in literal definitions in the normal world. But if you want to be nitpicky, sure, lets call it hunger pains then. It comes into effect pretty damn quickly, especially for kids who burn calories lots quicker than adults due to being generally more active and growing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I'm no parent but I wouldn't do that. I'd do what my mom always did, taking away my favorite toys. Usually that was my playstation 2.
    Or just the controller... so cruel.
    thats why you hide a spare controller

Do I agree with the method? - No

Would I do it ? - No

Is it old fashioned? - No

Is it entirely stupid? - No

Is it too much to call her a bad parent because she would do it? - Yes

Everyone has got their definition of bad parenting, she probably thinks that other parents are bad parents because they don't educate their children the same way as she does. People implying child abuse here should really consider how privileged you might be to even consider calling it child abuse when there is real child abuse being practised everyday.

One day a child is so entitled to internet connection that depriving him of it would be considered child abuse and some people posting here seem be be helping towards this reality.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I just think you were being over-dramatic when you said "threaten your kids with starvation", cause it's really not in any way starvation. It's just a kid that goes to bed hungry.

It's not traumatic. Again, though, I don't agree with it.
    Why does it have to be traumatic to be wrong? It's painful, isn't that enough reason not to do it? You don't punish your kid because you want the child to suffer, right? You do it to get a point across. Why choose a painful way to accomplish that when there are non painful ways that are just as, if not more, efficient?

I wouldn't because you can just send them to their room and take all of their electronics from them. You can also give them shitty food to eat like all vegetables and meat but make the skip dessert. While everyone else gets vegetables, dessert, and meat. Robbing a growing child of a meal is kind of silly.

You can also have them do extra house work and give the person who takes care of the house a day off. I just think their are better alternatives that make the child physically active instead of making them hungry for a couple of hours.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2015-10-25 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    Because being old-fashioned has to do with your age, obviously.
    If she feels the need to make a cheap excuse like that to justify what she said then she knows she was wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Threatening children with punishment or similar = instant horrible parent(s).
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Taking away their dinner entirely could be construed as child abuse.

Giving them green beans and a plain chicken breast while everyone else gets pizza, though, is a perfectly reasonable punishment.
    Nice parenting Endus. Associate healthy food with punishment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emageht Tsoluoy View Post
    kid's won't die if they miss a meal.

really shitty kids might if they miss all the meals though.
    This is like defending beating your kids with a belt, because they "won't die" from a single beating, but if they're shitty, you might beat them to death for being shitty. In other words, it's not an argument, it's just sociopathic.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Nice parenting Endus. Associate healthy food with punishment.
    More like "bland food". There's plenty of ways to eat healthy that don't involve the meal being bland. This is why I said "Plain chicken breast", and why I picked green beans over, say, corn.

This is like defending beating your kids with a belt, because they "won't die" from a single beating, but if they're shitty, you might beat them to death for being shitty. In other words, it's not an argument, it's just sociopathic.

More like "bland food". There's plenty of ways to eat healthy that don't involve the meal being bland. This is why I said "Plain chicken breast", and why I picked green beans over, say, corn.
    sweet corn tastes way better than green beans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    sweet corn tastes way better than green beans.

That was my point.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see a reason to threaten kids. It's just teaching them that threats are a reasonable mechanism for obtaining your what you desire from others.

Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    Both.

Anyone considering being denied a meal torture or criminal as punsihment for bad behaviour.... I dont even.

Its one meal. one. uno. No possible dmg can come from missing ONE meal, its not like shes telling him "no more food for a whole day/several days"
    Mmmm I mean honestly we both could be wrong. We don't know the kid. He could have serious issues that are caused by not eating, or by not sleeping which would be caused by hunger. I have no idea if this would be considered punishment or not, I'm not even remotely close to being a parent, but I just disagree with taking away a meal. Sure it's just one meal, that's wonderful, but there are other ways to punish kids.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    I don't see a reason to threaten kids. It's just teaching them that threats are a reasonable mechanism for obtaining your what you desire from others.
    I completely agree with this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Reasonable no, but effective in many ways. More so with adults than children though.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Depends on when they do their homework. That requires brain power, and being hungry doesn't make that easy.
    kids dont need homework... let them be kids

10+ Year Old Account
    The only time I would do this is if they are misbehaving during dinner. Threatening just not even give them any is a bit odd...kids need food.

Getting sent to bed without dinner is a very old punishment. Most here are probably too young to have experienced real parenting before the world went to shit and parents started letting their kids run wild.

I'll take kids from 50 years ago over the snot nosed brats that are being raised today without any discipline, consequences etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Getting sent to bed without dinner is a very old punishment. Most here are probably too young to have experienced real parenting before the world went to shit and parents started letting their kids run wild.

I'll take kids from 50 years ago over the snot nosed brats that are being raised today without any discipline, consequences etc.
    You can raise disciplined kids without threatening or beating them.