Windows 10 crashing several times at boot

Greetings!

Since last week, I have been having crashes on a cold boot. It goes something like:

- Initial Start
    - POST through BIOS just fine
    - Get into Windows Icon screen, restarts
    - Reaches Windows Icon screen again, restarts
    - Come to a blue screen, the error code ranges between SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, SYSTEN_UNWIND_PREVIOUS_USER, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION
    - Attempts Startup repair, finds nothing and suggests to just reboot the pc
    - I can boot into Windows now, but sometimes it will BSOD again after 5 minutes. But after that one its totally fine and will run all day without crashing. Even if I restart the computer

Things I have tried to fix this:

- Disable the hybrid hibernation shut down for fast startup
    - Reinstall drivers
    - Uninstall the Windows update on the day it started happening
    - Running Startup Repair, but it says that the current operating system is incompatible so it wont run
    - Trying to fix the boot drive with bootrec.exe, but when running bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd it says the device cannot be found (even though bootrec.exe /scanos finds the OS)

I had not installed any new programs since it started happening, I did however install some new RAM but I have done several memory tests and they all come back clean.

Now I am out of ideas, short of reinstalling Window 10 (which admittedly will probably be quicker, but I dont have time at the moment to reinstall everything).

Some help will be greatly appreciated!

SpaceDuck

Deleted
    You need to reinstall adobe reader.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Apart from the doom posting up above, he has one point. Wipe and do a traditional installation. Multiple BSOD's is hard to troubleshoot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fauier View Post
    You need to reinstall adobe reader.
    what? what does Adobe Reader have anything to do with SYSTEN_UNWIND_PREVIOUS_USER and CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION?
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

Quote Originally Posted by MilitantBadger View Post
    You probably lost power when it was updating. I had a brownout one day while windows 10 was updating and it completly fried my hard drive. I had to get the entire hard drive reformated and had them put windows 7 back on it. Seriously dont use windows 10 it updates like 10 timesa day, you cant tell it to stop cause i set everything up where it would never update without my explicit permession and it still fuckin did it anyways, and if for some reason you lose pwer at all while it does update kiss everything on your hard drive goodbye.
    I guess I must of at some point, because the crashes only happen on a cold boot I clinged to hope that it was a fixable issue. Best set a few hours aside for a reinstall at some point

@Schadow, its from a joke from 4chan greentext things :P long read but a good chuckle

I wish I could offer some advice here but while hard to trouble-shoot, there's always a cause for BSOD. You said you installed new memory, if you can go back to the previous memory, do it. See if it resolves the issue. There are types of memory, that just do not see eye to eye with the Motherboard and would cause unexplained errors. That's the best I can tell you if memory is all you swapped. If there were updates and you can roll them back, try that too. Check and see what the updates changed, etc.
    Last edited by Spiral Mage; 2015-10-28 at 08:59 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDuck View Post
    I guess I must of at some point, because the crashes only happen on a cold boot I clinged to hope that it was a fixable issue. Best set a few hours aside for a reinstall at some point

@Schadow, its from a joke from 4chan greentext things :P long read but a good chuckle
    ah right, I tend to avoid 4chan :/
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

if you install new ram and get problems, uninstall new ram and see if it persists, also check for a new bios, might make the new ram work

Some updates:

- The new RAM I have natively runs at 1600mhz, but thats at 1.6v so I decided to keep it at 1333mhz for now, thought "yolo" and ran it at 1600mhz. Boot fine the first time, but the crashes came back on the 2nd cold boot.

- Swapped back to my old RAM and no issues since >< I had convinced myself that if the RAM was faulty/incompatible it would always crash at every startup, not just the first few and then be fine after that. Even the memory tests came back clean. RMAing back to Amazon now

For those curious:

Motherboard: MSI G45-Z87
    CPU: i5 4670k Haswell
    Old RAM: G.Skill RipJaw 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit
    New RAM: Corsair CMX16GX3M2A1600C11 XMS3 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz

If some one can recommend some 16GB RAM sticks, that would be great! Clearly my motherboard does not like those RAM sticks despite saying it supports 1600mhz.

Thanks,

Space

15+ Year Old Account
    Here's a kit I've so far not had a single issue with across ALL the systems I built using DDR3:

BLT2C8G3D1608ET3LX0CEU <-- Use this part number if you are from the EU
    BLT2K8G3D1608ET3LX0 <-- Use this part number if you are from the US

It's called "Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3-1600 VLP" Which has 1600MHz, CL8 and 1.35V.

Find it, buy it and enjoy it.