Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should I upgrade to windows 10?

Hello,

I read different forums and they all say that I should upgrade to Windows 10 but I am currently using my old PC and I am barely having 15-25 FPS while mythic raiding (20 man ). I am worried if I upgrade to Win10 I might lose some FPS.

So my question is, Should I upgrade to Win10?

also, If I decide to Upgrade what are the programs and data that I will lose and need to reinstal?
    "It is always darkest just before the dawn " ~Thomas Fuller

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what you're using now. You're probably using Win 7 or 8, and 10 is a free upgrade. There are some marginal benefits, and virtually no downsides, depending on your hardware.

If you're getting FPS problems, thats likely your hardware, and windows version won't fix that.

If you upgrade, the 'best' solution is to do a clean install, which means you'll need to reinstall most, if not all programs. That means you should back up most of your stuff. Incidentally, WoW can be copied and replaced, but I would reinstall it anyway.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    and virtually no downsides
    Besides the whole operating system acting like malware ?

10+ Year Old Account
    What system do you have where 20 fps is average to you? Seems a bit low by today's standards but what do I know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

Quote Originally Posted by a C e View Post
    Hello,

I read different forums and they all say that I should upgrade to Windows 10 but I am currently using my old PC and I am barely having 15-25 FPS while mythic raiding (20 man ). I am worried if I upgrade to Win10 I might lose some FPS.

So my question is, Should I upgrade to Win10?

also, If I decide to Upgrade what are the programs and data that I will lose and need to reinstal?
    First what OS are you using to begin with?... what is your system spec's... Because 15-20 fps is kinda awfull, worse then my old computer, and that was freaking 6 years old.

But in the end, fuck win 10. Heard nothing but trouble about it.
    If you are dead set on getting win 10, give it some time before getting, still needs optimization....

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    First what OS are you using to begin with?... what is your system spec's... Because 15-20 fps is kinda awfull, worse then my old computer, and that was freaking 6 years old.

If you are dead set on getting win 10, give it some time before getting, still needs optimization....
    I'm getting 20-30 fps in LFR with a pc from 2008 with windows xp service pack 2.
    Personly having only 2 gigs of ram that cannot be expanded because of the motherboard, I would stay away from any newer versions of windows. Windows xp uses almost nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    That's maybe because those of us without issues don't feel a need to cry about it at every opportunity.

Last person I heard complain about Windows 10 then realised it was that his USB port was broken/dodgy.

That is more than a little bit sensationalized...

> In Windows 10, the universal back door is no longer hidden; all “upgrades” will be forcibly and immediately imposed.

Or you get 10 Pro. And you can roll-back updates that don'T work and tell Windows to not install them again. Not to mention Windows creates restore points at every update, making rolling back REALLY easy.

> You might well decide to let a security service that you trust remotely deactivate programs that it considers malicious. But there is no excuse for deleting the programs, and you should have the right to decide who (if anyone) to trust in this way.

Only applies to stuff bought in the Windows Store. And iOS, OSX and Android have this technology too.

> Windows 8's back doors are so gaping that the German government has decided it can't be trusted.

Requires a TPM module on the motherboard

> Microsoft is repeatedly nagging many users to install Windows 10.

Not nice, but not exactly bad either.

> Microsoft informs the NSA of bugs in Windows before fixing them.

Has been there since Windows 98

> Microsoft cut off security fixes for Windows XP, except to some big users that pay exorbitantly.

Like every company eventually does. In fact, XP's extended support was lengthened at least twice to accomodate things like POS terminals and businesses with mission critical programs that don't run on higher versions.

> Microsoft is going to cut off support for some Internet Explorer versions in the same way.

Good. If you're on IE under v10 you might as well not be using any firewalls or malware protection, and hang up a big neon sign saying "hack me!". Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Safari all have forced updates too.

This is the privacy statement for non-insider builds of Windows products: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/
    They removed the requirement to give consent for scanning of personal files and data that is present in the Insider privacy statement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    > Microsoft is going to cut off support for some Internet Explorer versions in the same way.

Good. If you're on IE under v10 you might as well not be using any firewalls or malware protection, and hang up a big neon sign saying "hack me!". Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Safari all have forced updates too.
    Aren't the only IE versions under 10 that are supported 8 and 9 anyway? They cut ties with anything below 8 ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    That site takes paranoia a little far. According to it you shouldn't use any apple product or windows 8/10. Android, iPhones and BlackBerrys also should be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    That site takes paranoia a little far. According to it you shouldn't use any apple product or windows 8/10. Android, iPhones and BlackBerrys also should be avoided.
    They may as well not even use the internet, because it's imposing it's information upon you.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the PC is old the upgrade to Windows 10 will just cause headaches. The biggest one is finding drivers for older hardware. Though I'd like to know more about the PC specs to maybe help fix your fps issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    An OS install should always be fresh anyways.

As for your FPS, upgrading OS won't help. Though for you to have only 15-25 FPS in WoW means you're running either a very old system or you're trying to max everything out.

Knowing your system, resolution and WoW settings would help. Fixing your FPS could be as easy as turning off shadows and lowering the projectile textures to just visible.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    It's not paranoia if it's true. The EULA to use Windows pretty much throws out all of your privacy rights. But it has been this way for so long most people have become desensitized to it.

Doom

Deleted
    No! Win7 is still superior!

i can only recomend it. it runs faster than win 7, from which i upgraded, and all the data gathering can be easily shut down via options.

Problems are support for some older games, which mostly relates to driver problems. Civ 5 wont stop giving bluescreens and shutdowns every now and then, for example, thats why i stil have a win 7 partition. Everything else that i need to work works as good or even better in win 10. Bootup is extremely fast with win 10, its fast like a freight train that fell off mount everest , landed at sealevel, and than started its rocket engines.

Windows 10 is amazing, you won't regret. IT's faster than previous versions. Beautiful and smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Or you get 10 Pro.
    No, that does nothing. I've done the analysis, your setting are pretty much irrelevant, the system does whatever it wants. The forced updates changing settings that I've made, ignoring my own settings (don't update drivers) and installing it's own drivers. It also makes telemetry connections, bypasses firewalls, sends information after you have foribdden it...
    As I said, malware. By every definition of the word.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2015-11-01 at 04:24 PM.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...rly-next-year/

Next year a lot of people that have been holding off on upgrading will find it being installed automatically.