Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Solar-power plant causing major pollution

http://www.allenbwest.com/2015/11/ba...ngous-problem/

We need to stop this madness! Big solar companies trying to get rich off the backs of Al Gore supporters! We need more clean energy, and we need this energy powered by feelings, and emotions. Nothing else will work because it's causing Global Climate change.

Just today I turned my A/C on. It was maddening. Almost instant climate change. It went from 73 in my house to 70. This madness must stop!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post

We need to stop this madness! Big solar companies trying to get rich off the backs of Al Gore supporters! We need more clean energy, and we need this energy powered by feelings, and emotions. Nothing else will work because it's causing Global Climate change.

Just today I turned my A/C on. It was maddening. Almost instant climate change. It went from 73 in my house to 70. This madness must stop!
    you need to stop making bait threads. please post something of substance next time. rofl @ that awful source.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a little curious to know how often they have to use these gas boilers? I've been to Nevada many times, and it is very, very rarely cloudy in the Mojave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

10+ Year Old Account
    So "only" 75% of the plant's power came from the sun.

Still a net gain, despite the frothing and screaming from Mr. West.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I blame Al Gore, and the Illuminati

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    So "only" 75% of the plant's power came from the sun.

Still a net gain, despite the frothing and screaming from Mr. West.
    The increased the allowable gas to 38%. However, the only number that matters is a gas consumed per kWh electricity generated. And it sounds like its much lower than traditional power plants, which is just awful.

"The same amount of natural gas burned at a conventional power plant would have produced enough electricity to meet the annual needs of 17,000 California homes – about 25 percent of the Ivanpah plant’s total electricity projection for 2014!!"

Is that where you are getting your 25% number from? Thats just based on their projection, and it said they are well below their projection.

So this was a big fail. The thing is, to advance technology, you sometimes have to have fails, and sometimes need government stimilus to support the "research".

But yeah, this is a black eye for green energy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks Obama.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you really just post an allenbwest article?

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Thanks Obama.
    If he wasn't a Muslim born in Kenya, none of this would've been a situation. We must condemn him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    Totally legit source, dawg.

600,000 MWh a year for $1.6 billion? That's the real tragedy. A single AP1000 would produce over 15 times that much electricity at only 5 times the cost.

Solar-thermal is a losing technology now. It can't compete with non-concentrating photovoltaics, which are much more flexible and can better use diffuse sunlight in partially clouded skies.

Solar thermal's only remaining advantage was the potential to use thermal storage (and gas backup, maybe) to provide power in evenings/night, but batteries are advancing fast enough that this advantage will be moot soon.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    Shit you know shit's really hit the fan when TJ is questioning your source lol.

Oh lawd!!! It is Madness!!!
    I don't think I have turned my A/C off since mid February.
    I guess we could build a couple more nuclear plants. Those are pretty "clean".

10+ Year Old Account

Oh sigh.

So because one powerplant fucked up, the entire solar industry is corrupt and bad? Assuming of course, that this terrible and obviously conservatively biased source is even right?

So because Al Gore is a hypocrite the entire global warming theory is a sham?

And if you're smart enough to make a post on the internet, you should be smart enough to know the difference between climate change and a fucking air conditioner and not make a ludicrous false equivalence between the two.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Oh sigh.

So because one powerplant fucked up, the entire solar industry is corrupt and bad? Assuming of course, that this terrible and obviously conservatively biased source is even right?

So because Al Gore is a hypocrite the entire global warming theory is a sham?

And if you're smart enough to make a post on the internet, you should be smart enough to know the difference between climate change and a fucking air conditioner and not make a ludicrous false equivalence between the two.
    Maybe because I made the statement and how the system works maybe I believe it's all bullshit?

Is Climate Change real? Well yes, it's been going on before man came to this Earth.

Will Climate continue to change? Absolutely, and will continue to do so after man leaves this planet.

Does man cause Climate change at an exorbitant rate to where we should raise the piss out of energy so poor people will have to go on assistance to even pay their energy bill and, make the middle class pay more, even though they're already paying high taxes while the government continues to spend TRILLIONS a year on silly shit including this "because one powerplant fucked up." solar panel plant.

Ignorant people like you will in the end break the backs of the middle class. As for the source you can read almost any other news sites. It's starting to come out, and I'm sure we'll hear more to come about it.

If green energy's so popular stop paying for it with tax payer money. Let the market decide if it's popular enough, compared to coal, or nuclear power. They call you guys progressive but all progressives do is take us backwards.
    Last edited by Deathcries; 2015-11-02 at 05:25 PM.

Ignorant people like you will in the end break the backs of the middle class. As for the source you can read almost any other news sites. It's starting to come out, and I'm sure we'll hear more to come about it.
    ..and there's my daily dose of irony. Thanks.

7+ Year Old Account
    Maybe because I made the statement and how the system works maybe I believe it's all bullshit?

Is Climate Change real? Well yes, it's been going on before man came to this Earth.

Will Climate continue to change? Absolutely, and will continue to do so after man leaves this planet.

Does man cause Climate change at an exorbitant rate to where we should raise the piss out of energy so poor people will have to go on assistance to even pay their energy bill and, make the middle class pay more, even though they're already paying high taxes while the government continues to spend TRILLIONS a year on silly shit including this "because one powerplant fucked up."

Mostly because the wool has been pulled over the eyes of the populace by the rich few in control.
    Climate change is serious, and needs to be taken seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

Quote Originally Posted by Korlok View Post
    Mostly because the wool has been pulled over the eyes of the populace by the rich few in control.
    Climate change is serious, and needs to be taken seriously.
    What like Al Gore's net worth going from 2 million to two hundred million? You think anybody in congress gives one single shit about you, and isn't out to try to make a buck off your ignorance?

LoL you need to learn sociology.

It's not off to a great start...no denying that...but let's factor in some of those numbers.

The plant burned 867,740 million BTU of natural gas emitting 46,084 metric tons of carbon dioxide, which is nearly twice the pollution threshold at which power plants and factories in California are required to participate in the state’s cap and trade program to reduce carbon emissions.

On the other hand though If that gas had been used in a conventional fossil fuel plant it would have generated nearly 124,000 MWh of electrical energy. Ivanpah used that gas plus solar energy to produce 524,000 MWh of electrical energy (more than four times that of the referenced conventional plant), all while operating at well below its expected output.

So, while it may be producing about twice as much CO2 as a conventional plant...it's also quadrupling the amount of power provided. In addition, the Q1 Numbers for this year have it performing about 170% better than the same time period of 2014.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.