Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I don't know whether this was mentioned here or not.

I actually recently seen the Warcraft Movie trailer in the cinema before a Star Wars screening. The actual trailer looks substantially different on the big screen rather then in Youtube HD videos.

I'm not exactly sure why, but the CGI and everything else translates much better to the big screen.
    Probably just because you tend to take things more serious when you see it advertised by a third party in a legit theater rather than on your screen on YouTube. Make it feel less direct to dvd ish.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CthulhuFhtagn View Post
    And I'm still making more sense than you.

Making sense does not mean pulling facts out of your ass. Nice try tough guy. You've been and continue to be full of hot air.

Still about half a year before the movie is even released, and some people already hate it =P

Guess some people just love to hate, especially anything related to popular/well-known/successful franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Still about half a year before the movie is even released, and some people already hate it =P

Guess some people just love to hate, especially anything related to popular/well-known/successful franchises.
    Hate is a rather strong word.

Dislike what I have seen? yep.
    Dislike what I have read from people like Jones and what they are doing? Yup. still a dislike.

Hate? Nah, a game to movie like wow doesn't get that much emotion. Dislike though it does really well at.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Yes, which is a big mistake in my opinion since it alienates a lot of fans. I never cared much for orcs or humans - and I don't care much for the idea of waiting for them to do two movies in the hope that they'll eventually get around to tackling the Warcraft 3 stuff. ...and let's be honest, even if they do get that far they'll likely fall into the trap of having orcs/humans overshadow everything else anyway.
    News flash! This game wouldn't exist without the millions of fans who supported the 3 RTS games that came before it and set an amazing story foundation for them to fuck up and ruin later down the road. And lets face it, they've already admitted to it multiple times throughout WoW's life, or else they wouldn't be bringing illidan back.

Also, this opens the doors for a trilogy which would include tons of lore/characters/races if it ends up in warcraft 3 territory. At least you aren't in the "when the hell are nagas actually going to do anything?" camp that I've been in since frozen throne.
    Last edited by rasako; 2015-12-27 at 08:23 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spriggs View Post
    Read at your own peril. Apparently, someone that saw an early showing decided to reveal some spoilers. Posted by a user on SoL.

Some larger twists in the movie.
    1.- The betrayal of Garona.
    2.- Medivh being an evil avatar of and "Old" god.
    3.- The invasion of stormwind after the invasion and destruction of the Dark Portal.
    I wonder, "Old evil god" was the real description in the movie, or the dude who watched it simply isnt the fan and mistook titan for some kind of evil god. Cause i doubt the movie specifically will say "Its titan Sargeras". I think all fans will recognize Sargeras, and non-fans will think this is some kind of evil god used Medivh.

Also, 3 makes sense. I like it. Human will destroy the DP, and then Garona shockingly will backstab Llane. Then orcs will burn SW. The movie will be look like standalone flick but still has the build up for the sequels. The bittersweet ending is what it needs.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Making sense does not mean pulling facts out of your ass. Nice try tough guy. You've been and continue to be full of hot air.
    And you've been and continue to be obsessed with my ass and what's coming out of it. I'm flattered, but I'm not into that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbour View Post
    I wonder, "Old evil god" was the real description in the movie, or the dude who watched it simply isnt the fan and mistook titan for some kind of evil god. Cause i doubt the movie specifically will say "Its titan Sargeras". I think all fans will recognize Sargeras, and non-fans will think this is some kind of evil god used Medivh.

Also, 3 makes sense. I like it. Human will destroy the DP, and then Garona shockingly will backstab Llane. Then orcs will burn SW. The movie will be look like standalone flick but still has the build up for the sequels. The bittersweet ending is what it needs.

yeah the "old god" probably is sargeras.
    If the movie ends with SW burning, then it will be fine with me.
    I was worried about them saying they want to be standalone because it sounded it would end with "happy ending" (everyone fine, the orcs defeated etc".
    If stormwind is destroyed it wont only stay true to lore, but will also raise the stakes and have enough drama.

Imagine for example if before the Dark portal is destroyed, the orcs bring some ogres from Draenor that will wreak havoc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    No in all honesty, it's not like a single opinion from someone you and I don't know, whether it be good or bad, counts for anything.
    He also described "GoT twists" which basically kicks away all the assumptions about the movie being a "cliché-fest" as many people implied and that's what most people feared, unless you want to believe that he lied.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Hate is a rather strong word.

Dislike what I have seen? yep.
    Dislike what I have read from people like Jones and what they are doing? Yup. still a dislike.

Hate? Nah, a game to movie like wow doesn't get that much emotion. Dislike though it does really well at.
    Sorry but this "I'm above hating a videogame movie" attempt of yours looked just hilarious. And hate is just a misplaced word to say "bash".

Yeah, "evil god" is no doubt Sargeras. He also fits the description well, since the Titans are god-like figures (not full gods but pretty close) and Sargeras is definitely evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    He also described "GoT twists" which basically kicks away all the assumptions about the movie being a "cliché-fest" as many people implied and that's what most people feared, unless you want to believe that he lied.
    The main premise of the movie, focusing equally on humans and orcs and showing heroes and villains on both sides is the opposite of fantasy cliches, so I don't see where the worries were coming from.

The main premise of the movie, focusing equally on humans and orcs and showing heroes and villains on both sides is the opposite of fantasy cliches, so I don't see where the worries were coming from.
    In context of high fantasy I agree.
    However with movies like Avatar and the like, we have the reemergence of the trope "they arent all evil even though they are different" or "the noble savage" which wasnt so prominent back in 2003.
    So although i like warcraft for making this spin on the orcs, others may see it as this cliche.

My personal prediction is a critical and box office flop a la Final Fantasy: Spirits Within.

It will however succeed as a giant hype building commercial for Legion. Which I believe is its main purpose.
    F2P: If you don't think it's worth my money, I don't think it's worth my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Saucerian View Post
    My personal prediction is a critical and box office flop a la Final Fantasy: Spirits Within.

It will however succeed as a giant hype building commercial for Legion. Which I believe is its main purpose.
    The problem is Legion has nothing to do with Warcraft (2016) as far as story goes. If WoD was releasing around the time, you'd have a point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Romano View Post
    However with movies like Avatar and the like, we have the reemergence of the trope "they arent all evil even though they are different" or "the noble savage" which wasnt so prominent back in 2003.
    So although i like warcraft for making this spin on the orcs, others may see it as this cliche.
    Spot on and those are the kind of reactions I watched around. People who knows jackshit about Warcraft and merely judged the trailer immediately drawn a parallel with Avatar or Dawn of the Apes, some even saw the equivalent of Caesar and Koba in the trailer (likely referring to Durotan and Blackhand) and many who tried to imagine the potential plot imagined nothing but "orcs come to Azeroth, some want peace but others don't, good human allies with good orc and fight some big ass battle against evil orcs, peace achieved, happy ending". While is not the sole sentiment around, many people got this feeling from the trailer, and I cannot blame them.

Hell, even Warcraft fans weren't fully confident that the movie would have truly remained loyal to the plot, expecting an excess of political correctness to please Hollywood and Universal.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, waste millions just to "hype" the sixth expansion of 10 years old game. What a brilliant idea.
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.

Deleted

While I'm sure Blizzard are hoping it will draw in some business to WoW, it would be foolish to spend 100 million on an advertisement. Moreover an advertisement which outside of the broad setting is fairly unrelated to WoW Legion.

I think that at the very least the Chinese revenue will guarantee financial success. And if the movie is actually of good quality it could do very well indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Romano View Post
    Fair point, the concept in itself isn't new, I just meant that it's virtually unheard of in the realm of high fantasy. Epecially since people spent 3 LotR and 3 Hobbit seeing orcs as pure evil.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Spot on and those are the kind of reactions I watched around. People who knows jackshit about Warcraft and merely judged the trailer immediately drawn a parallel with Avatar or Dawn of the Apes, some even saw the equivalent of Caesar and Koba in the trailer (likely referring to Durotan and Blackhand) and many who tried to imagine the potential plot imagined nothing but "orcs come to Azeroth, some want peace but others don't, good human allies with good orc and fight some big ass battle against evil orcs, peace achieved, happy ending". While is not the sole sentiment around, many people got this feeling from the trailer, and I cannot blame them.

Hell, even Warcraft fans weren't fully confident that the movie would have truly remained loyal to the plot, expecting an excess of political correctness to please Hollywood and Universal.
    Maybe I was being overly naive, but Duncan instantly won me over when I saw him speak at Blizzcon last year, so I never doubted he would stay true to the story. He was just so passionate about the Warcraft universe that I immediately thought "This is a guy who wants to tell the story of Warcraft, not a story he made up that just happens to be set in the Warcraft universe like Raimi."

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe I was being overly naive, but Duncan instantly won me over when I saw him speak at Blizzcon last year, so I never doubted he would stay true to the story. He was just so passionate about the Warcraft universe that I immediately thought "This is a guy who wants to tell the story of Warcraft, not a story he made up that just happens to be set in the Warcraft universe like Raimi."
    Don't get me wrong, Duncan won my trust too and I think he has the right ideas in mind, but a degree of skepticism is inevitable I guess and is also important to see how non-Warcraft fans react.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    WCM wont be flop, mark my words. Legendary hits China hard with promotional material. It began this september, so till the June 2016 every chinese movie goer will know about the movie. China alone didnt let Pacific Rim to be flop, with its 190 mln budget. And PR didnt even have a fanbase. Its pretty safe to assume that even if WC has 200mln budget, Asia alone easily will make 400+ mln $. Even if USA will make just 100mln (that the lowest bar i think, cause WoW is pretty popular here), it has Europe+Australia+South America.
    Im pretty sure WC will make at least 600 mln worldwide. At least, cause it still has a huuuuge base (100mln+ people who played WoW once), and has the potential to be critically acclaimed (RT 70+). If it will be acclaimed it will cause the positive buzz.

p.s. Dont get why people even have a scepticism about the story. It make sense when it comes to the visual effects, but the story. I doubt they lied to us saying it will be compressed First War story. It has a potential for a good story. With the death of main protagonist, Llane, Medivh and so on. People will like it. I can predict the titles of articles: "Warcraft brought the GoT blend with Avatar fantasy dish on the big screens", "Warcraft is surprisingly good for a game based movie" and "Warcraft broke the curse".

WCM wont be flop, mark my words. Legendary hits China hard with promotional material. It began this september, so till the June 2016 every chinese movie goer will know about the movie. China alone didnt let Pacific Rim to be flop, with its 190 mln budget. And PR didnt even have a fanbase. Its pretty safe to assume that even if WC has 200mln budget, Asia alone easily will make 400+ mln $. Even if USA will make just 100mln (that the lowest bar i think, cause WoW is pretty popular here), it has Europe+Australia+South America.
    Im pretty sure WC will make at least 600 mln worldwide. At least, cause it still has a huuuuge base (100mln+ people who played WoW once), and has the potential to be critically acclaimed (RT 70+). If it will be acclaimed it will cause the positive buzz.

p.s. Dont get why people even have a scepticism about the story. It make sense when it comes to the visual effects, but the story. I doubt they lied to us saying it will be compressed First War story. It has a potential for a good story. With the death of main protagonist, Llane, Medivh and so on. People will like it. I can predict the titles of articles: "Warcraft brought the GoT blend with Avatar fantasy dish on the big screens", "Warcraft is surprisingly good for a game based movie" and "Warcraft broke the curse".
    Duncan also has a pretty damn good track record with previous movies. Granted it's only 2 movies, but still, 2/2 critically and commercially successful.

Bookmark this post so you can get back to it and see how out of touch you were.

(Eg, something like 80% of the 100 mil once-players figure you cite quit WoW promptly after installing it because they didn't like it, and most of them never got even one char to max level.)