Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Jesus id ask him for the health of loved ones and myself along with forgiveness if my sins.
    I believe OP is saying what unanswered question you'd ask, not to beg for a request lol

I would ask why you would not save people from death, yet you yourself fear death.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Ignoring the fact that we we don't know what killed him, so we don't know if anyone in particular is to blame...

Alexander was known (and somewhat infamous amongst his Macedonian troops) for his Medising, i.e. adopting Eastern practices, and at the time of his death this wasn't fully accepted or followed by his subjects. Whether that was a policy borne out of admiration or practicality is up for debate - in spite of Greek rhetoric, the Persians were admired for their ability to administer an Empire and the Eastern population was far larger than the Western one.

Had he lived longer, then it's likely Western civilisation would have become more Easternised, thus fundamentally changing our outlook more than theirs. His practical nature would probably have led to Eastern Satraps (administrative governors) in Greece, as they had experience in governing and the Greek ability to spend most of their time quarreling with each other meant they were a pain in the arse as nominally independent states.

Alexander, as brilliant a commander as he was, was a despot, he cared nothing for democracy and challenges to his authority were dealt with ruthlessly. He was also something of a paranoid nutjob.

If by "fuck up western civilization", you mean that we should have become more Easternised, then yes, whatever killed Alexander probably did fuck that up. Personally I'm not a fan of despotism and I prefer that Western civilisation (eventually) decided that the rule of the people was the way to go, especially when you compare it to how the Middle East has turned out.
    Nothing wrong with that.

Ancient 'democracy' was far worse. Far more of an oligarchy than it is now. A despot at least had to appease the people lest he be overthrown. The oligarchs simply repressed the people with mercenary armies and cared nothing for them. To be fair the despots did as well, but the oligarchs often challenged each other with their armies and the people were caught in the middle.

And Alexander brought far more of Greece to the world than vice versa. Just because he adopted many practices of those he lorded over does not mean he had abandoned Greek ways or that the west (as in the Balkans and Europe) would have adopted Eastern ways... As you say, Alexander was a smart man. He did what needed be done to maintain control. It would be rather difficult to rule over what he conquered if he tried to destroy their ways of life and force Greek down their throats (which he still did to some extent).
    Last edited by I Push Buttons; 2015-11-02 at 02:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Nothing wrong with that.

Ancient 'democracy' was far worse. Far more of an oligarchy than it is now. A despot at least had to appease the people lest he be overthrown. The oligarchs simply repressed the people with mercenary armies and cared nothing for them. To be fair the despots did as well, but the oligarchs often challenged each other with their armies and the people were caught in the middle.
    A despot doesn't have to appease the people, he just needs to keep the military on his side, which is often done by paying them from the taxes you enforce on the general population.

Plus any complaint about unfair treatment in their rule is usually suppressed through military means, as dissent can not be seen to be tolerated. Compare that to Ancient Athenian deomcracy, where they spent most of the time arguing amongst themselves.

And Alexander brought far more of Greece to the world than vice versa.
    That is higly debatable. The Successor States were more Eastern in character than they were Greek, which was out of necessity due to the population sizes.

If Alexander had continued his policies then the Greek states would have become more Easternised as well, they were a thorn in both his and his father's side due to their independent nature and one obvious way to extinguish that would be with transplanting populations, which would have the effect of watering down the character of the smaller populations.

The Persians lived an extravagant lifestyle, due to the wealth of their empire, the Greeks more frugally due to their lack of wealth, and luxury is a very powerful cultural influence.

Just because he adopted many practices of those he lorded over does not mean he had abandoned Greek ways or that the west (as in the Balkans and Europe) would have adopted Eastern ways... As you say, Alexander was a smart man. He did what needed be done to maintain control. It would be rather difficult to rule over what he conquered if he tried to destroy their ways of life and force Greek down their throats (which he still did to some extent).
    Very little of what Alexander demonstrated in his later life leads me to believe that he would have been anything other than a Greek Emperor of an essentially Persian Empire.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd raise Barry Goldwater from the dead, and instead of asking him a question, I'd show him the Republican party, and laugh and laugh and laugh...then ask him how he feels and laugh...

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I'd raise Barry Goldwater from the dead, and instead of asking him a question, I'd show him the Republican party, and laugh and laugh and laugh...then ask him how he feels and laugh...
    I'd do that with Abraham Lincoln

i'd ask george washington if he thinks it's moral to hold slaves when simultaneously fighting for freedom for himself.

I'd ask Jack why he didn't get on the damn raft...