Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I run a pair of Sennheiser HD 558's that have lasted me a few years, and I still love them. They travel between home and work daily and get hours of use. They're comfortable on the ears (I used to get rashes from an older pair of cheaper headphones). They're open-back with impressive sound quality and a lovely even mix.

May be a tad over OP's budget, but not by much. It's pretty much the best model of Sennheisers that you're going to get in the 50 ohms range.

i'm using The SteelSeries Siberia V2 Frost Blue, they are ok, one great thing is they have a really long ass cord. its literally like 4 feet long, which is nice cause i like to lay back and watch tv shows on my comp while sitting on my bed. they kinda have distortion issues though so im thinking id probly replace them soon. i think they were like $80 CAD a few years ago. also they fit nice, the headband is snug but not painful

i have a white pair of steelseries i got from best buy.

they sound alright, nice depth to them.

makes gaming sound awesome, specially Witcher 3.

Here is the link.

Cost 40$
    And they sound like what a 100$ pair should sound like.
    Last edited by Emageht Tsoluoy; 2015-11-03 at 05:00 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    Audiotechnica are pretty dope. Iv had the same m50s for like 4 years now with no problems.
    +1 for audio technica

Also, stay the fuck away from the razer shitlord products, its the same deal with beats really. Low quality parts and overpriced.

10+ Year Old Account
    i would stay away from plantronics as well. they make really shitty headsets that have flimsy plastic that breaks in less than a year EVERY FUCKING TIME.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    If you want a cheaper option, go for Superlux HD681/HD668b. Probably the best bang for your buck headphones out there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Avoid headsets unless they are in the same league as the Beyerdynamics MMX 300 and none of the sub-200 € headsets are in that for sure. The best deal is obviously a pair of good headphones for yourself (closed, half-open, open - depending on needs) and separate microphone.
    I got one cheap but good Audiotechnica (ATR 3350) lavalier condenser microphone which for gaming is more than good but for professional use it's lacking some things like appropriate noise suppression. This is but one and certainly not the best example either but in general you are more flexible if you split microphone and headphone demands into two separate gear, that way when one of them breaks you can replace or even upgrade them easier plus you ensure you get the quality you want without having to rely on the same manufacturer which in same cases always gets you a cat in the bag deal (e.g. Logitech: terrible headphones, good microphones).
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnel Snakes Rule View Post
    I'm a fan of Audio Technica ATH-M50x for headphones. They're pricey, but solidly the best headphones I've ever had. If you really need a mic, I'm not sure where to point you, as I've found most headset/mic combos to either have subpar sound or a subpar mic.
    +1 to this.

Alternatively, Sennheiser. I personally have Sennheiser HD 380 Pro headphones. Their frequency response is relatively "flat", which means true to the source - but some other headphones might feel they pack more "punch" because they exaggerate the bass more. They are comfortable, block environment sounds really well (just by covering your ear) and I feel they sound great. No microphone though. They're normally used as monitoring headphones, albeit on the cheap side of the spectrum.

Great headphones for the money. The Audio Technica ATH-M50's get positive reviews pretty much all around as well.

Beyerdynamics is worth looking into also.
    Last edited by mmocbc5645dc6c; 2015-11-03 at 08:24 AM.

Grado Labs. They don't advertise and prefer word of mouth as their advertisement.

SR80e are just awesome. And I highly recommend them.

http://amzn.com/B00L1LXOWS - Here's an Amazon link to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesu christ ppl, 200+ € headphones? Here i am buying 9€ ones every 3 months...

I have the Corsair Void wireless and i love them already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I heard walking off a cliff was also hot stuff. Anyone with Beats, especially those who say they sound great, should try it.
    I've used Seinhessers for years, but decided to give Beats a try and have been really impressed with them. Can't help but feel maybe there's a stigma attached to them in some circles because they're "cool" and fashionable, and very expensive, as it always seems to be the same people hating on them as hate on Apple.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    $200 ones will last you enough years to save you money.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    if i was gonna buy ones atm. i would buy steelseries wireless H. expensive though but still the best wireless headphones for gaming.

Deleted
    Sennheiser HD380 pro's cost 111eu where I live. Very worth it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I've used Seinhessers for years, but decided to give Beats a try and have been really impressed with them. Can't help but feel maybe there's a stigma attached to them in some circles because they're "cool" and fashionable, and very expensive, as it always seems to be the same people hating on them as hate on Apple.
    If you enjoy Beats, then more power to you.

The reason people hate on Beats is 2-fold.

#1 - Dr. Dre and his media empire swindled MonsterCable out of their technology.

#2 - Beats headphones are literally made from about 20$ in poor quality components and are basically overpriced garbage.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean to tell me they swindled some technology to create a better sound, but don't in fact create a better sound? Doesn't that mean the MonsterCable argument a little redundant?

Or, conversely, even if they are made from cheap parts (like basically any electronics) but do use that swindled tech to create a better sound, then that tech alone is worth the mark up?

They're kind of inconsistent complaints to be honest. You either admit they're good, but don't take them on ethical grounds, or you can think they're bad. I happen to think they're good.

15+ Year Old Account
    You don't have to spend 200 € on headphones. There are no best headphones either however some brands like Beats and Bose are overpriced for what they are delivering in certain situations. Someone who's listening to classic music a lot won't take headphones which have a bass-heavy profile, someone who's listening to music with generally more basses may want a clear and precise bass response. Some people maintain a set of headphones for different purposes for that reason. The frequency responsiveness and oscillating behaviour in certain ranges plays a role, e.g. studio headphones may have a neutral and near equal response throughout the supported frequency range making the profile fairly flat and giving you more precise options to finetune your soundprofile on your end rather than having to counter-tune the profile of your existing ones.

However spending 36 €/yr. on headphones may be okay if you are only planning to listen for a year or two but above that I'd have a look around considering that headphones don't really wear out if you care for them well.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

You mean to tell me they swindled some technology to create a better sound, but don't in fact create a better sound? Doesn't that mean the MonsterCable argument a little redundant?
    They basically ruined MonsterCable, buying the name and the technology, paying a pittance for it.

The MonsterCable tech was... not great to be honest, it was also overpriced garbage, but it was basically how the transaction went down that was shitty.

- - - Updated - - -

Or, conversely, even if they are made from cheap parts (like basically any electronics) but do use that swindled tech to create a better sound, then that tech alone is worth the mark up?
    Except they are not a "better sound" and audiophiles have ripped them to shreds in reviews since they were released.
    They use substandard drivers, cheap wiring, cheap housing, and poor acoustics for a 200$ set of headphones.

The only reason Beats sell is because Dr. Dre gets amazing product placement, and super-rich famous friends pimp his shit out for him.
    People are only buying into the name "Beats by Dr. Dre" with these.

If someone has limited finances and are looking to "buy the best", Beats is the one brand they should stay far far away from.

Almost 2 full pages in and Ravenblade is the only one to touch upon different headphones for different genres. We need more information to say anything specific.

Do you want a closed/open headset?
    Which kind of music do you listen to?
    What's your source? pc/phone/amp?
    Which games do you play?

In general, avoid gaming headsets and Beats. Gaming headsets due to them mostly being gimmicks and thus overpriced because uneducated people still buy them. Beats because they don't sound nearly as good as you want for that price.

You should check out the headphones subreddit, specifically the daily advice thread.

EDIT
    You'd be amazed how much better sound and durability a proper set of headphones give you. Totally worth the investment.
    Last edited by Myrland; 2015-11-03 at 02:40 PM.

Deleted
    I would go for Sennheiser Momentum. Wonderful for music. I never regret buying them. If they are too expensive I would probably go for Audio Technica ATH-M50x