Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    mid nineties Toyota supra twin turbo is pretty collectable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    They worked with Yamaha to make the V6 SHO motor which they threw in Ford Taurus's.
    The 4AGE in the AE86 is designed by...Yamaha

General rule of thumb for toyota is if it is interesting, it is yamaha. 2jz - yamaha, 2zz -yamaha. Pretty sure the 3sge is yamaha also but toyota get their car bits from all over the place.

I don't think I have ever seen a stock AE86, ever. This is the point, they are a 4age which come in 170hp varities and even suprcharged though AFAIK none of them bolt up directly, but that doesn't matter. It is a relatively straight forward swap. No one is cruising around in the 130hp version saying it is fast or whatever, but generally if you want to keep your car streetable you cannot start chopping bits off it to make it lighter, this car marks the end of an era after which almost ever cheap, light car was FF. It is really popular to chuck honda FC20s from the s2000 in them also, not just newer 4ages. While you are doing all this you will always have that weight advantage and most importantly RWD, even the s2000 is some 300kg heavier.

They are already a classic, not sure what the mood is over in the US. If you had one mint I would definitely hang on to it.

Its gonna be illegal to own any of these cars in 30 years. They will be considered a crime against humanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    The 4AGE in the AE86 is designed by...Yamaha

General rule of thumb for toyota is if it is interesting, it is yamaha. 2jz - yamaha, 2zz -yamaha. Pretty sure the 3sge is yamaha also but toyota get their car bits from all over the place.
    But it really wasn't an interesting car. For a car made in 1983 the engine was ahead of it's time but not by that much. This is a DOHC engine pumping out 130hp. Compared to most single over head cam 4 cylinders of that time period and that's not impressive at all.

Didn't Mitsubishi and Chrysler get together to make turbo 4 bangers that produced some serious power? K-Cars I think they're called?
    I don't think I have ever seen a stock AE86, ever.
    If you watched the video of the guy screaming about how stupid the AE86, good chance you haven't seen a real AE86. Most of them in American are AE88's.
    This is the point, they are a 4age which come in 170hp varities and even suprcharged though AFAIK none of them bolt up directly, but that doesn't matter. It is a relatively straight forward swap. No one is cruising around in the 130hp version saying it is fast or whatever, but generally if you want to keep your car streetable you cannot start chopping bits off it to make it lighter, this car marks the end of an era after which almost ever cheap, light car was FF. It is really popular to chuck honda FC20s from the s2000 in them also, not just newer 4ages. While you are doing all this you will always have that weight advantage and most importantly RWD, even the s2000 is some 300kg heavier.
    A lot of the cars in the 80's and 90's were super light because there wasn't a need for side impact doors and crumple zones. An AE86 was only 2300 lbs, but a Fiero is only 2600 lbs as well. The Fiero actually has an interesting history as GM worked with Europe to develop a car that could seriously handle. Though like the AE86 the car was given crap motors and enthusiasts have to swap in motors to give it the power it truly needed. Like LS1's or NorthStars, cause it is a rear mounted engine .

But yea, Americans got the AE88 and it wasn't nearly as powerful. Also while the S2000 is considered a great car among auto enthusiasts, I argue that's it's a pile of crap.

They are already a classic, not sure what the mood is over in the US. If you had one mint I would definitely hang on to it.
    Only way for Americans to get one was to import it. Didn't you watch that video where the guy explained that? Anyway I think the obsession anyone has with that car was over an Anime called Initial-D. A very crappy Anime. It's like the Delorean, it's great in the movies but in real life it was a crappy car.

Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2015-11-05 at 08:10 PM.

expecting my grand cherokee prerunner to be considered a classic in about 30 years, these 4.0L inline six's are pretty much bulletproof

Priuses and Volts would be historically significant vehicles to collect, if there weren't so damn many of them. Maybe Teslas would be considered rare enough.

Jeeps are already collectible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    If you watched the video of the guy screaming about how stupid the AE86, good chance you haven't seen a real AE86. Most of them in American are AE88's.

Also while the S2000 is considered a great car among auto enthusiasts, I argue that's it's a pile of crap.
    Oh trust me I have seen the real deal , in NZ we have nearly unfettered access to the JDM market as well as some of them being "NZ new". Lots of AE85s riding the coattails too, gotta watch out.

s2000, pile of crap. I think not!

Not 100% clued up on the ap2 or american versions but they come with forged internals that are reported to hold up to 800hp if you have the cojones. That is more than a 2jz's "safe" limits which end around 600hp, from a 2.0l! Sure you could push a supra to 800hp on stock internals if you want to also but you don't see it casually recommended like the s2000 nuts, and it is usually something added like a thick head gasket that shits it's pants in the FCs not the engine itself.

Again they are another car that can be underwhelming for some in stock form. I think they are great, so great that I am eyeing one up for the turbo treatment as my next car if I ever get back to NZ, lol. They are also spectacular for a 2.0 non turbo @250hp. American versions were less HP I think, emissions win again.

But yeah, I get the whole initial D thing. There is the "JDM as fuck" thing too, especially with these grey imports. Like I said in NZ we have some of the most lax import laws anywhere so the whole scene is a little less silly about it, two different points of view.

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    Priuses and Volts would be historically significant vehicles to collect, if there weren't so damn many of them. Maybe Teslas would be considered rare enough.
    One day, there may not be so damned many of them

Like I was saying in an earlier post, this whole speculation thing is really just gambling. It is strange what brings in the cash.

I am not sure about historically significant though. I was recently darting around England and visited the British car museum. They has some electric vehicles from the 70s when there was that big oil crisis so maybe that cherry has already been popped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    s2000, pile of crap. I think not!

Not 100% clued up on the ap2 or american versions but they come with forged internals that are reported to hold up to 800hp if you have the cojones. That is more than a 2jz's "safe" limits which end around 600hp, from a 2.0l! Sure you could push a supra to 800hp on stock internals if you want to also but you don't see it casually recommended like the s2000 nuts, and it is usually something added like a thick head gasket that shits it's pants in the FCs not the engine itself.
    The problem with the S2000 I see is why? No seriously why do you love this car? Forged internals are nice but that just means you can avoid removing the motor to rebuild it. Nobody likes to yank motors out but if you're all about super powerful cars then rebuilding an engine is just expected.
    Again they are another car that can be underwhelming for some in stock form. I think they are great, so great that I am eyeing one up for the turbo treatment as my next car if I ever get back to NZ, lol. They are also spectacular for a 2.0 non turbo @250hp. American versions were less HP I think, emissions win again.
    Horsepower isn't everything in an engine. While the 2.0L is producing over 200hp, but 160lbs of torque. For having a small aspirated engine it should get great gas mileage right? Nope it gets worse mpg than a V8 Corvette of the same year. And while the K20 engine is very reliable, it isn't as reliable as the LSX engines.

So again, why? Similar priced cars with bigger engines and better MPG. Potential?

Quote Originally Posted by endlesswaltz View Post
    expecting my grand cherokee prerunner to be considered a classic in about 30 years, these 4.0L inline six's are pretty much bulletproof
    Those Jeeps will never die. I have a XJ and a ZJ and just got done installing new muffler today on the XJ. Quick welding and off she goes. Over 200k miles and it just won't quit.

Where I live, 4wd pickup trucks hold value.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

I doubt most of todays vehicles would last 30 years.

My vote is for the BMW 1M:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...pe-test-review

It was on sale for only one year (2011-2012), only 6300 total were made and sold worldwide, and of those, only 960 were sold in North America. If you want to buy one now that isn't in bad condition, you're going to be paying more than what they were going for brand new.

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    What a damn fine question, and it's going to be so many different responses.

I'd say some of the Tesla's will be rather collectible, and rather valuable, not many of them made. Some of the real high end production American Muscle cars perhaps, the Hellcat by Dodge, some of the GT stuff from Ford, like GT40 stuff..

The Aston Martin is always gonna be collectible because James Bond, and the pure fucking beauty of it.

As now, it will be what people chose to place value in, because of what it makes them remember and think of. Hell, you have some crazy fucks out there that LOVE the AMC brand, when it was utter poop. That's what makes the hobby so much fun.