Tanking Issues Gorefiend Mythic

Hey,

I'm playing war tank. Already killed Gorefiend MM but i still a very annoying issue with this boss as a tank. I struggle to make a clear taunt, retake aggro on the big add when he comes out of Gorefiend. Is there an efficient way to spot/taunt/take good aggro on it ?

Consider that at the moment the add comes out, the other tank might not be out already, so have to tank the boss + add. So I can not go to far from Gorefiend, neither can I show my back to it.

Q: How to spot the add ? What is the fastest way to taunt it ? (I don't like mouseover maccros, trusts issues...) Is there any useful macros ? How to deal with the situation where the add pops out of my range (considering I can't leave the melee of Gorefiend, I know its big but still)

Also, the pulls where the add get taunted correctly, usually, the "travel time" of the add (few steps + charge) last the same time as the "taunted" debuff. So when the add comes in my range, sometimes, I loose aggro. (Couldn't hit a shield slam or so). I also happend when my Paltank buddy comes out and almost take the add instantly back on him (same issue with my aggro)

Q: How to generate enough treat on the add to avoid any DPS retake ? Same question for the Pal tank retake ?

Thanks for reading !

Bykow

links:
    Can't post any... Bykow on Sargeras EU for armory and logs...

make a macro

/target gorebound spirit

and then use whatever that throw ability is called

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bykow View Post

Q: How to spot the add ? What is the fastest way to taunt it ? (I don't like mouseover maccros, trusts issues...) Is there any useful macros ? How to deal with the situation where the add pops out of my range (considering I can't leave the melee of Gorefiend, I know its big but still)
    Make a target macro that taunts.

Q: How to generate enough treat on the add to avoid any DPS retake ? Same question for the Pal tank retake?
    Tell the dps to watch their threat or wait a second before damaging. As for swapping between the tanks. Is that an issue? Our tanks never had an issue with that.

use boss frames
    click the ad when it spawns
    taunt
    profit

ask for md and tricks of the trade help too, can't hurt

would
    /cast [target = Gorebound Spirit] Provoque
    Work ?

use boss frames click the ad when it spawns
    The frame pops too late, there is a really short laps between the moment when the add apairs and the first charge he does, and the frame pops during that first charge...

Also tried with the Taunting Banner, doesn't seem to be effective for first aggro but could work for the other aggro I guess.

Deleted
    Use bossframes, it's not as quick as manually targetting or macros but no one should die to it for sure, regarding aggro you dont need to worry about boss threat so you just tunnel the add when its up, it doesn't matter whos tanking the boss for the tank to be targeted by shadow of death(pulled in stomach), the fight checks first by threat who to give debuff to, then the role so as long as you have a tank alive without debuff he will get selected.

So you only need to worry about being close enough to Gorefiend so it melees you instead of random melee, and picking up the add. Just make sure no one uses big nukes on the add before tank has it next to Gorefiend and you're golden.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I found this to be a little annoying too. Seems like the add spawns clear across the room sometimes. Luckily we run with a brewmaster always so we just plop a statue down in the middle of the room. However we've forgotten to drop it sometimes. Hunter misdirects help alot.

When the add first spawns he usually starts with a raging charge to whomever picks up first threat. This hits for something like 250k and it CAN be dodged if the player is aware enough. I use a boss frame for it and just target it and spam my taunt until I pick it up. It is annoying but just part of the fight.
    Sinthetik, Blood DK, BM Monk, GM, Exiled From Hell, US Premiere Daytime Progression Guild. 7/7 Mythic HM, 10/10 Mythic BRF. 12/13 Mythic, 13/13 Heroic HFC.

Edit: I hadn't done this on mythic and it appears my suggestion was invalid. Stick with target macros and or boss frames I suppose.
    Last edited by Detritivores; 2015-11-05 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detritivores View Post
    When my co-tank or myself are inside gorefiend, we position ourselves with our back to the center circle that ports you out so that when the add decides to peace, the knockback sends us out of the stomach. That way the tank inside always beats the add out and can be the one to pick it up on the outside. We were having similar issues with it sometimes spawning stupidly far away from the boss tank, but once we figured out how to reliably beat the add out of the stomach, we found that much more consistent.

Or target macros or boss frames as others have said.

Edit: I haven't done this on mythic, so if there's something I'm unaware of that invalidates my suggestion, apologies. Seems like our way should still be preferable to me though.
    You can't "walk" out of the stomach in mythic. When you go in, you leave a soul upstairs and when that soul is killed you come out (or you get digested if the soul isn't killed in time).

Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    You can't "walk" out of the stomach in mythic. When you go in, you leave a soul upstairs and when that soul is killed you come out (or you get digested if the soul isn't killed in time).
    Nevermind then. Sounds annoying...

That's the mechanic that has single-handedly made Gorefiend one of the most difficult bosses in Mythic HFC. There's currently 1k guilds stuck on Gorefiend (many of whom broke up over the difficulty of the boss).

7+ Year Old Account
    If you're having issues just have your hunters md you or something. (if it spawns at >30yd that is)

1st charge wont kill anyone

1st charge wont kill anyone
    If he charges at the other side of the room, there will be dead bodies...

If he charges at the other side of the room, there will be dead bodies...
    I disagree, simply walk into range and taunt him. If you aren't up in time that's another issue. He definately has a derp period after the charge and I've never once had him hit a raid member afterwards..

I disagree, simply walk into range and taunt him. If you aren't up in time that's another issue. He definately has a derp period after the charge and I've never once had him hit a raid member afterwards..
    That's the point of my post, how do you to this without getting out of range of Gorefiend AND showing your back to Gorefiend ?

7+ Year Old Account
    Gorefiend matchmaking?
    Former highend raider. Now highend moron

That's the point of my post, how do you to this without getting out of range of Gorefiend AND showing your back to Gorefiend ?
    The melee range of Gorefiend is a lot bigger than you might think. I've never had a problem of the add being out of range when it spawns if i'm at max melee range.
    And for the positioning, make sure you're to the right/left of Gorefiend and you can stand sideways and not be hit in the back as you taunt the add and spam Heroic Throw, once the add gets to you move a long Gorefiend and the add will move to the side and not be behind you.

As for the threat issue, you should be focusing the add anyway, and not hitting the boss. As a Warrior tank, the issue should be the other way around (you taking aggro back too early). The amount of times i've accidently pulled aggro off other tanks right before abilities is stupid (Soul Cleave on Fel Lord being the main one :/), Warrior threat is retarded.

"That's the point of my post, how do you to this without getting out of range of Gorefiend AND showing your back to Gorefiend ?"

The tank who has Gorefiend doesn't do it, the tank who just came out of the stomach does it. Make sure that you get broken out immediately as the spirit starts charging through the portal. Also if you happen to have a Brewmaster Monk, Ox Statue & Chi Explosion are super useful.