Thread: pc wont start

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

pc wont start

hello i recently build a new pc connecting all the parts and the cables when i turn it on the screen start freezing and only solutions was to either press the reset or the power on/off button, so i went into some research about it and couple of posts in other forums and i've been told that i should run a bench test with only the basics components of the pc to see what cause the freezing, thing is i stripped it down to basics and when i tried to turn it on it wont turn on i start connecting the cables one by one until i got all the parts and the cables connected pressed the start button and again nothing still dnt work. any help please with the issue im really frustrated dnt know what to do..

You need to explain what happens exactly, when you start to boot it up, some photos of how the whole thing is connected, might also help, what specs of it are.
    And what exactly does " SCREEN START FREEZING " means.

Are all the psu cables connected to the mobo? there are 2 cables.
    Do you get any beep when you turn the pc on? Does any fan spins when you turn the pc on? Does the hdd make any sound?
    Could you link the specs of your computer? Could have some incompatibility among components.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a similar problem with freezes/restarts, with my pc being unable to go past boot more often than not, turned out it was caused by a faulty RAM module.

So, where are things going wrong when you press the power button?

1) Do you hear fans working? If yes =>
    => 2) Do you hear your HDD working? If yes =>
    => 3) Does the monitor go on? If yes =>
    => 4) Can you get through boot without freezing? If yes =>
    => 5) Does your computer freeze completely or restart randomly in Windows? If yes =>
    => 6) Do you get a BSOD with a message? If yes =>
    => 7) What is the message? Bonus question =>
    => 8) What is the timing of the freeze/restart?

The more questions you answer with yes, the easier it is to determine what is going on most likely.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-11-05 at 12:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    Are all the psu cables connected to the mobo? there are 2 cables.
    Do you get any beep when you turn the pc on? Does any fan spins when you turn the pc on? Does the hdd make any sound?
    Could you link the specs of your computer? Could have some incompatibility among components.

when i press the start button it just doesnt work, i also checked if the PSU was faulty but it was working fine, basically everything was working fine untill i strip everything down to basics to do bench test its then when this whole '' pc wont start'' issue occur, my specs are : coolermaster 690 III case, kingston 120GB SSD 2.5 inch SATA3, AMD FX-9590 Black Edition Octa Core CPU Socket (AM3+, 4.7GHz, 16MB, 220W, liquid cooler master nepton 240mm, motherboard asrock fatality 970, graphic card EVGA GeForce GT 610 2GB, EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply and finally Kingston Savage 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory. all the cables are connected correctly, there is no sound when i turn on the pc only the sound of the PSU nothing else no fans spinning no hdd sounds and i doubt about incompatibility because the parts i choose from it was from the pcpartpicker website where it shows you if there r any problems with the parts u choose or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I had a similar problem with freezes/restarts, with my pc being unable to go past boot more often than not, turned out it was caused by a faulty RAM module.

So, where are things going wrong when you press the power button?

1) Do you hear fans working? If yes =>
    => 2) Do you hear your HDD working? If yes =>
    => 3) Does the monitor go on? If yes =>
    => 4) Can you get through boot without freezing? If yes =>
    => 5) Does your computer freeze completely or restart randomly in Windows? If yes =>
    => 6) Do you get a BSOD with a message? If yes =>
    => 7) What is the message? Bonus question =>
    => 8) What is the timing of the freeze/restart?

The more questions you answer with yes, the easier it is to determine what is going on most likely.
    before i strip down everything and run a bench test which i have an issue now with turning on pc, the fans were working the hdd not because i only have ssd (which is connected and everything) the monitor works fine, sometimes i can barely reach the bios and then after few seconds the screen freeze again and it freeze completely yes, what is a BSOD ? and the timing of freeze i would say it last for long time until i press the reset or the turnoff/onn button, pls note that after few manual resets/restarts the pc used to shut down on its own

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Canyouweed View Post
    You need to explain what happens exactly, when you start to boot it up, some photos of how the whole thing is connected, might also help, what specs of it are.
    And what exactly does " SCREEN START FREEZING " means.
    how can i insert an image without the URL option but from my pc? looks like i cant do it

BSOD is blue screen of death i.e. what windows tends to do when it crashes
    You can upload pictures to imgur and then link those to this site

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by valerios1 View Post
    when i press the start button it just doesnt work, i also checked if the PSU was faulty but it was working fine, basically everything was working fine untill i strip everything down to basics to do bench test its then when this whole '' pc wont start'' issue occur, my specs are : coolermaster 690 III case, kingston 120GB SSD 2.5 inch SATA3, AMD FX-9590 Black Edition Octa Core CPU Socket (AM3+, 4.7GHz, 16MB, 220W, liquid cooler master nepton 240mm, motherboard asrock fatality 970, graphic card EVGA GeForce GT 610 2GB, EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply and finally Kingston Savage 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory. all the cables are connected correctly, there is no sound when i turn on the pc only the sound of the PSU nothing else no fans spinning no hdd sounds and i doubt about incompatibility because the parts i choose from it was from the pcpartpicker website where it shows you if there r any problems with the parts u choose or not.

- - - Updated - - -
    before i strip down everything and run a bench test which i have an issue now with turning on pc, the fans were working the hdd not because i only have ssd (which is connected and everything) the monitor works fine, sometimes i can barely reach the bios and then after few seconds the screen freeze again and it freeze completely yes, what is a BSOD ? and the timing of freeze i would say it last for long time until i press the reset or the turnoff/onn button, pls note that after few manual resets/restarts the pc used to shut down on its own

- - - Updated - - -
    how can i insert an image without the URL option but from my pc? looks like i cant do it
    I think I found your problem.

You have a 220W TDP CPU, which is fine, combined with a Mobo that is from a brand known to use inferior cooling for the FX-9590 CPU.

Try updating your BIOS to the latest version IF you can but otherwise I'm pretty sure your mobo is busted and you'll require a new one.
    Preferably 1 with better VRM cooling.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...876R-_-Product
    Best FX-9590 Mobo out there, bar none. It can take the heat on the VRM.
    Last edited by Evildeffy; 2015-11-05 at 03:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A BSOD = Blue screen of death, it's basically Windows giving you an error message that's often hardware related.

Water cooling related stuff is way out of my league, so I'm gonna comment on some other stuff.

If the PSU "works" (as in you can hear it working), it doesn't necessarily mean it's fine, some wiring may be faulty.

Do this (actually waiting for other, more experienced posters to post similar stuff first, maybe they have other, better solutions):

1) Start with something simple first. Update your BIOS, and try to get into the BIOS and see if you can stay there. Set everything to default, apply and restart. If nothing happened (most likely but you never know) =>
    2) Take out one RAM module and leave the other one there, and then open the PC. If the problem persists, do the same with the other RAM (put the one RAM back in and take the other one out). If the problem persists and you have a spare RAM that definitely works, use that one. (This was just to get my suspicion out of the way that it's not a faulty RAM.) If nothing happened (most likely but you never know) =>
    3) Check out if the fans are connected properly, and if the power supply wiring is all good (very important). Use another power supply if you have it. I think this is the one of the two biggest culprits, the other being the motherboard.

Do these first, the more drastic measures (motherboard related stuff) come later.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-11-05 at 03:32 PM.

Deleted
    Have you plugged in the pus?

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually I've got an idea.

Do you have a normal table fan (the kind you use to cool off, like 25 - 30CM in length).

Open the computer case and point that with full power towards the CPU section of the mobo (where the heatsinks are).
    See if that helps a slight bit or not.

If the VRMs are already blown then there's nothing that can be done for this mobo.

Deleted

re

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    BSOD is blue screen of death i.e. what windows tends to do when it crashes
    You can upload pictures to imgur and then link those to this site
    this site wont allow me to post any pics error msg coming saying: You are not allowed to post any kinds of links, images or videos until you post a few times. i also dnt get any blue screens

- - - Updated - - -

normal table fan its just another pc fan air and not liquid u mean? if so yes but not sure what u mean. do u want me to take one of those fans (without it being connected) and push it towards the heatsink?

- - - Updated - - -

thing is i can no longer make it to BIOS as the whole pc wont start

- - - Updated - - -

im afraid u could be right but i dnt understand is it possible for that to happened since yesterday before i run a bench test everything was working and today all of the sudden it just wont start

I'm pretty sure you got the cables hooked up wrong.

Deleted
    I had a similar problem. Was the power cable (inside) from the GPU that was bending downwards a bit due to the weight of the cables. Added a bit of support and it worked. Screen wouldn’t turn on otherwise.

Does your motherboard have a LED display showing some numbers/digits (turn it on while case is open)?

GPU can cause screen issues and the computer will usually show an error code such as 66 or so.

Here is a list of troubleshooting steps to find general issues:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...video-problems
    Last edited by mmoc1647d17dd8; 2015-11-05 at 04:39 PM.

Deleted
    the cables should be correct because it used to run normally ( with some freeze screen as i mention earlier) but today its just completely dead only the CPU works cz ive tested it

- - - Updated - - -

the 2 pin headers H.D.D LED , RESET, POWER and +P LED -P LED are connected correctly

- - - Updated - - -

the cables should be correct because it used to run normally ( with some freeze screen as i mention earlier) but today its just completely dead only the CPU works cz ive tested it

- - - Updated - - -

the 2 pin headers H.D.D LED , RESET, POWER and +P LED -P LED are connected correctly

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Blitzking;37045591]I had a similar problem. Was the power cable (inside) from the GPU that was bending downwards a bit due to the weight of the cables. Added a bit of support and it worked. Screen wouldn’t turn on otherwise.

Does your motherboard have a LED display showing some numbers/digits (turn it on while case is open)?

GPU can cause screen issues and the computer will usually show an error code such as 66 or so.

Here is a list of troubleshooting steps to find general issues

yes ive been through that list already and pc still wont turn on

15+ Year Old Account
    this site wont allow me to post any pics error msg coming saying: You are not allowed to post any kinds of links, images or videos until you post a few times. i also dnt get any blue screens
    This is a security feature to stop spammers, you won't be able to post those untill you've done 10.

normal table fan its just another pc fan air and not liquid u mean? if so yes but not sure what u mean. do u want me to take one of those fans (without it being connected) and push it towards the heatsink?
    I want you to pull off the left panel of your CASE.
    So you have an internal view of all your components, graphics, CPU cooler etc.

Then I want you to grab that large table fan and put it next to the case and let it blow full speed onto the motherboard.
    Do not disconnect anything else inside the case, just what I asked.

Tell me if that makes even the slightest bit of difference.

thing is i can no longer make it to BIOS as the whole pc wont start
    If you can make a picture of how you've connected everything and an overview, then post the link here in something of the following format:

imgur(dot)com(slash)gallery(slash)blabla12

Your own pictures here of course, mine is just a format example so you can skip the limitation.

im afraid u could be right but i dnt understand is it possible for that to happened since yesterday before i run a bench test everything was working and today all of the sudden it just wont start
    Let's try what I suggest first, including pictures, and we'll see how far we can assist you.

valerios, if you have pictures put the link in here, like www . google.com or www(dot)google(dot)com . Break the link, done! Or have 1 posts in here and you can link stuff (just dont make posts just to raise post count).

edit: evildeffy beat me to it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Actually I've got an idea.

Do you have a normal table fan (the kind you use to cool off, like 25 - 30CM in length).

Open the computer case and point that with full power towards the CPU section of the mobo (where the heatsinks are).
    See if that helps a slight bit or not.

If the VRMs are already blown then there's nothing that can be done for this mobo.
    is there any way i can check if the VRMs been destroyed?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    This is a security feature to stop spammers, you won't be able to post those untill you've done 10.

I want you to pull off the left panel of your CASE.
    So you have an internal view of all your components, graphics, CPU cooler etc.

Then I want you to grab that large table fan and put it next to the case and let it blow full speed onto the motherboard.
    Do not disconnect anything else inside the case, just what I asked.

Tell me if that makes even the slightest bit of difference.

If you can make a picture of how you've connected everything and an overview, then post the link here in something of the following format:

imgur(dot)com(slash)gallery(slash)blabla12

Your own pictures here of course, mine is just a format example so you can skip the limitation.

Let's try what I suggest first, including pictures, and we'll see how far we can assist you.
    h t t p s : / / postimg(dot)org/image/bm0w93xu1/
    h t t p : / / postimg(dot)org/image/i29uz76dl/
    h t t p : / / postimg(dot)org/image/43hr0h6h5/
    h t t p : / / postimg(dot)org/image/wa451l8g9/
    Last edited by mmoc50786fe19e; 2015-11-05 at 05:01 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can you take you PC to a technician?

Deleted
    i can install the mobo back to the case do all the wires again and take some pics if needed just let me know

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bison91 View Post
    Can you take you PC to a technician?
    that would be the last solution if ofc i still wont know what is the problem

Deleted
    Does your motherboard LED display anything? Or does nothing but the CPU work?