Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dammit. I really hope Netflix will pick up them.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    And the show has been canceled.

Not a surprise considering how bad it was written.
    Syfy have decided to drop the show. But it seems highly likely that someone else will pick it up. It's not that the show was unsuccessful, it simply wasn't well suited for Syfy's business model. I'd be shocked if someone like Netflix didn't snap it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xenogeist View Post
    WTF SYFY. You have one of the best shows on tv and cancel it, why? Really hope someone else picks this up.
    http://deadline.com/2018/05/the-expa...ed-1202388026/

The cancellation decision by Syfy is said to be linked to the nature of its agreement for the series, which only gives the cable network first-run linear rights in the U.S. That puts an extraordinary amount of emphasis on live, linear viewing, which is inherently challenging for sci-fi/genre series that tend to draw the lion’s share of their audiences from digital/streaming.
    Alcon Entertainment co-founders and co-CEOs Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson. “We respect Syfy’s decision to end this partnership but given the commercial and critical success of the show, we fully plan to pursue other opportunities for this terrific and original IP.”
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2018-05-11 at 01:08 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Syfy have decided to drop the show. But it seems highly likely that someone else will pick it up. It's not that the show was unsuccessful, it simply wasn't well suited for Syfy's business model. I'd be shocked if someone like Netflix didn't snap it up.
    Depends on the price tag, really.

The production value seems quite high so it surely isn't a cheap show.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

And the show has been canceled.

Not a surprise considering how bad it was written.
    I know that people have different tastes but come on. Seriously?

This is arguably the best space opera since SG an BSG days.

The story and the setting are truly unique and amazing.

Want to know what is truly garbage? SyFy. They should just change their name as a television, as they really, really hate true science fiction that is also smart.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is not getting picked up. Remember Stargate Universe? Yeah.

Hopefully people grew smarter since then.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    I know that people have different tastes but come on. Seriously?

This is arguably the best space opera since SG an BSG days.

The story and the setting are truly unique and amazing.
    Let me quote myself from a year ago in this thread:
    I still got a couple of episodes left of season two, but couldn't resist my urge to have a little rant here:

I really want to like the show. It's almost good. The CGI is fantastic, visually and aesthetically it's great overall, the story isn't bad, even the acting is alright...but.....the script, the dialogue, the actors themselves are all fucking bullshit (bad casting, not poor actors).

I'm what 21 episodes in, there have been at least 100 characters talking in the show. I only remember a couple of names - Holden, Draper, Johnson, Miller, Julie. What the fuck are the other people called?! The characters aren't likable or relatable at all. The Indian vicesomething of UN lady with the whisky voice and botox duckface lips is the biggest atrocity. She is so cringy, especially when she is cursing.

There are only two characters that feel even remotely relatable people - the Martian slightly chubby but cute marine girl, Draper, and the Martian pilot (can't remember his name either) of the main ship Rocinante. Everyone else are annoying emotionless irrational talking heads.

It can't be just me who is clueless about the names and feel this way.

There are two other series I currently watch and watched an episode of both of them yesterday. Better Call Saul and Designated Survivor. I can tell you the names of every god damn character that have ever opened their mouth in those shows.

Huge difference.
    I actually learned their names in the last episode.

Still I find it ridiculous that it took 23 episodes to clearly say and repeat the names of the main characters a couple of times.
    This is what's wrong with the series.

Want to know what is truly garbage? SyFy. They should just change their name as a television, as they really, really hate true science fiction that is also smart.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is not getting picked up. Remember Stargate Universe? Yeah.

Hopefully people grew smarter since then.
    Syfy is shit, that's nothing new. Oh boy do I miss Stargate Universe, it was great.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is what's wrong with the series.
    I just starting watching this on Netflix a few days ago and flew through the first season. Other recent similar shows I have been watching:

Star Trek Discovery (brilliant),
    Star Trek Enterprise (very mediocre)
    Lost in Space (very good, but aimed at a younger audience)

I must say that I have been blown away by the Expanse. The whole Donnager battle was incredible. I am amazed at the vision that the directors bring, reminds me a lot of Babylon 5 back in its day (of course it has aged a lot so a direct comparison would not be fair). The atmosphere, tone etc are highly immersive.

I haven't seen season 2, so I don't know whether the show keeps up its momentum from season 1, but given that its based on a series of books, I would hope so.

Anyhow I do see what you're saying about the show, and so far I can't really say I agree with the criticism. This is a complex show. You do need to pay attention or you're going to miss the details. Yup, this show takes a bit of effort to be enjoyed. And while that, for me, is something that makes for a great show, I do get that for others it can be a bit off putting.

Oh boy do I miss Stargate Universe, it was great.
    Absolutely agree here.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just starting watching this on Netflix a few days ago and flew through the first season.

I haven't seen season 2, so I don't know whether the show keeps up its momentum from season 1, but given that its based on a series of books, I would hope so.

Anyhow I do see what you're saying about the show, and so far I can't really say I agree with the criticism. This is a complex show. You do need to pay attention or you're going to miss the details. Yup, this show takes a bit of effort to be enjoyed. And while that, for me, is something that makes for a great show, I do get that for others it can be a bit off putting.
    Now here is the big difference with you binging through it now than me watching one episode a week a year ago.

There isn't a lot going on in the series. Especially season 1. Considering it was a full season of what 13(?) episodes aka 13 weeks. Not much happened, the actual story starts to pick up during the latter part of season 2 - everything else is a slooooooooooooow prelude until then.

It's hard to get familiar with the characters in the show if you don't know their names and the names aren't being brought up pretty much at all.

If you binge through the show, sure it might feel a bit better because the "disconnect" effect isn't that strong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Surprised that people forget that SYFY exclusives like Sharknado, are the bulk of their profits. They're still stuck living in the days of Scifi that gave us BSG.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Expanse is only guilty of committing the cardinal sin of making the first ~17 or so episodes a slow burn set up for the rest of the series. I felt like the show hit the ground running once season 2 got going and i'm really enjoying season 3 right now, sad that syfy is done with it. Thought syfy's track record of sticking with shows of any merit is pretty poor.

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    --Bilbo Baggins
    Paarthurnax | Peijing

Syfy yet again lives up to their reputation. I'm pissed.
    The Expanse had a slow start but is only getting better, they only care about revenue.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2018-05-12 at 01:51 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fuck Syfy.
    The Expanse creators are looking for a new home anyway.

There is nothing wrong with the TV show. I enjoy the characters, I care about them and who the fuck cares if you can't remember their names? They are not supposed to have normal names. The Earth is not fucking US. Not everyone has English names. Mars even less so.

Yeah, go back to Better call Saul and Designated Survivor. Those are great sci-fi set in the future.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the TV show. I enjoy the characters, I care about them and who the fuck cares if you can't remember their names? They are not supposed to have normal names. The Earth is not fucking US. Not everyone has English names. Mars even less so.
    Lol. They have "normal" names - actually "English" in fact.

Yeah, go back to Better call Saul and Designated Survivor. Those are great sci-fi set in the future.
    Being scifi is no excuse for bad script.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't even like the show Puupi then why are you here randomly shitposting?

Anyway this really sucks, The Expanse is the best TV show since BSG. Hope it finds a good home or I'll have to read the books to finish the story..

Quote Originally Posted by sinilaid View Post
    If you don't even like the show Puupi then why are you here randomly shitposting?

Anyway this really sucks, The Expanse is the best TV show since BSG. Hope it finds a good home or I'll have to read the books to finish the story..
    I dislike that poster and keep him on my ignore list, but why shouldn't he/she post his opinions about the show? I was amazed by the show, and the books which I've read afterwards, but my biggest issue with the show would have been poor/slow characterisation, because I didn't use any of the character's names for at least 6-7 episodes (except for Miller's) for the simple reason that I couldn't remember who they were. Captain guy, bald guy, pilot guy, mechanic girl. That's an aspect the books definitely managed to do better, but that's more due to the writing style where each character gets a chapter.

Just because he usually posts crap, doesn't mean it's always crap.

Anyhow, not surprising it got cancelled. Not because I think the show's bad, but because the production was amazingly good and most likely outrageously expensive, more than what Syfy was willing to pay for such a limited audience. It's unfortunate, but that's the entertainment business.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sinilaid View Post
    "Randomly shitposting"

Ever heard of criticism?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Yet to see you do that. Why don't you crawl back into the hole you were in.
    Aww.......

15+ Year Old Account
    Goes to show how much you know about the series lol.
    Oh really.

"
    Main

• Thomas Jane as Josephus "Joe" Aloisus Miller, a Belter detective on Ceres assigned to find Julie Mao[3] (seasons 1–2)
    • Steven Strait as James "Jim" Holden, the Earther captain of the Rocinante, formerly the executive officer of the Canterbury[3]
    • Cas Anvar as Alex Kamal, the Martian pilot of the Rocinante, formerly the pilot of the Canterbury[4]
    • Dominique Tipper as Naomi Nagata, the Belter engineer of the Rocinante, formerly an engineer of the Canterbury[4]
    • Wes Chatham as Amos Burton, the Earther mechanic of the Rocinante, formerly a mechanic of the Canterbury[4]
    • Paulo Costanzo as Shed Garvey, the Canterbury's medical technician[4] (season 1)
    • Florence Faivre as Juliette "Julie" Andromeda Mao, the missing daughter of business tycoon Jules-Pierre Mao (seasons 1–2)
    • Shawn Doyle as Sadavir Errinwright, UN Undersecretary of Executive Administration[5]
    • Shohreh Aghdashloo as Chrisjen Avasarala, UN Deputy Undersecretary of Executive Administration[3]
    • Frankie Adams as Roberta "Bobbie" Draper, a Martian Marine gunnery sergeant[6] (season 2–present)"

15+ Year Old Account
    Eh you don't know the series and I wont spoil anything but many of the poignant characters don't have "english" names.
    "You don't know the series"

What the hell are you talking about.

I've watched season 1 and season 2. Will binge season 3 once it's fully out.

- - - Updated - - -

Nagata isn't an english name.
    No shit.

I just bolded the "english" names for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Linking the list of the cast from the first and a half books isn't really indicative of the series as a whole.
    They are the main cast of the TV show.

Deleted
    this series is fucking awesome, hopefully netflix or someone pick it up and give them more cash

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    this series is fucking awesome, hopefully netflix or someone pick it up and give them more cash
    Hopefully, but I don't see any other option than Netflix considering the show is already in their library.