Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Hammer of Wrath gone?

I heard somewhere they're removing Hammer of Wrath (at least for Ret). Is this true? Because if it is, I don't understand what the devs are thinking. Why are they removing such an iconic ability? This really disappoints me.

EDIT: Confirmed. https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/sta...60402041769984
    Last edited by mmoc4df2ab8a0e; 2015-11-11 at 12:05 PM.

yup..its quite stupid to remove such an iconic ability of paladin because its same mechanism as warrior iconic ability (execute ) #wowdevlogic

Deleted
    We've "trespassed too far into Warrior territory" is their reason. That's weird, considering we've had this ability since 2005, the same year as Warriors got their Execute. I guess it took them 10 years to realize we're not really supposed to have this ability. Good reasoning for sure.

I'm not seeing the problem. Ever since they removed the massive damage and guaranteed crit on HoW, it's just been a random spell you press in execute range and during wings.

I would have liked to have seen HoW reworked into something different, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrasibion View Post
    We've "trespassed too far into Warrior territory" is their reason. That's weird, considering we've had this ability since 2005, the same year as Warriors got their Execute. I guess it took them 10 years to realize we're not really supposed to have this ability. Good reasoning for sure.
    Whut ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Whut ?
    They gave HoW to us in 2005, same year as Warriors' Execute. But now they've decided that they want us to have an ability that's so identical to Execute, so they remove it. But it took them 10 years (since it's 2015 now) to make this decision. So why are they now deciding it's a Warrior ability all of a sudden?

Yet, even more ironic, is that they're giving as a new teleport ability named after a Warrior. Whatever.

Because Jay Wilson LOLOL
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

Execute is 6 months older + didn't HoW suck before 3.0?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    Yeah blizzard is taking this class identity thing too far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yet, even more ironic, is that they're giving as a new teleport ability named after a Warrior. Whatever.
    Theire renaming that..

Allso who cares what the spec loose or gains aslong as it becomes better in the end.. No one has seen enough to really say anything about that, so why all this pointless crying?

Deleted
    They gave HoW to us in 2005, same year as Warriors' Execute. But now they've decided that they want us to have an ability that's so identical to Execute, so they remove it. But it took them 10 years (since it's 2015 now) to make this decision. So why are they now deciding it's a Warrior ability all of a sudden?

Liar Liar pants on fire. Execute is older and has been a core ability since forever. HoW was useless til the WOTLK prepatch as far as i remember. Also there is nothing really iconic about it. Execute fits very well into the warrior theme and the name makes sense for what it does. Hammer of wrath not so much(there is a reason all these abilities are called execute abilities)

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Liar Liar pants on fire. Execute is older and has been a core ability since forever. HoW was useless til the WOTLK prepatch as far as i remember. Also there is nothing really iconic about it. Execute fits very well into the warrior theme and the name makes sense for what it does. Hammer of wrath not so much(there is a reason all these abilities are called execute abilities)
    HoW was useful since it was released. Since it gave Paladins a much needed range execute to deal with enemies that tried to flee on Low HP whilst Paladins had no kind of speed boost or powerful range Move since Judgment was short range at the time.

I don't understand why people think it was useless pre-Wotlk O_o since I had a Addon that used to count my HoW kills in PvP BG's and used Unreal tourney sounds for the stacks. Was one of the funnest things about Vanilla. I guess it is mostly just people who have only played since Wrath I guess.

Also they say they are going for Iconic spells and remove HoW?!? Like really. Even HEARTHSTONE Paladins have it as a Spell card.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2015-11-11 at 01:06 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Execute is 6 months older + didn't HoW suck before 3.0?
    It came out at a time when mobs used to run away when they were on low health and we weren't very good at catching up to them before they alerted their mates; it was a way of finishing them off basically. It was of limited use in PvP as I recall, and even less use in raids at the time.

Although its loss makes for a massive shift in our gameplay, and I don't buy the argument that it's going because it's not unique (after all, we're getting a new talent that's a cross between Transcendence and Heroic Leap), I won't mind as long as the overall tooltkit we get for Legion compensates for its loss.

Damn, that sucks... Mooooving on

Deleted
    Liar liar pants on fire? What are you, 14? I never said Execute wasn't older. I said they were both from the same year, 2005. Execute is about 6 months older than HoW. And why doesn't Hammer of Wrath make sense for the Paladin theme? We've had it for literally a decade. So what defines a "theme" if not for abilities that have been with the class for about 95% of its lifespan. Think before you speak.

Liar liar pants on fire? What are you, 14? I never said Execute wasn't older. I said they were both from the same year, 2005. Execute is about 6 months older than HoW. And why doesn't Hammer of Wrath make sense for the Paladin theme? We've had it for literally a decade. So what defines a "theme" if not for abilities that have been with the class for about 95% of its lifespan. Think before you speak.
    The theme of a class involves the overarching ideas that can be used to describe the class. Things like "the light", "holy warriors", "justice/judgement/law", and so on. Maybe HoW fits the theme of the paladin depending on how you interpret the ability. However, the length of time we've had the ability does NOT determine whether or not it fits the theme.

"Fitting the theme of the class" and "iconic to the class" are two different things that often (but don't always) overlap.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2015-11-11 at 01:48 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    HoW was useful since it was released. Since it gave Paladins a much needed range execute to deal with enemies that tried to flee on Low HP whilst Paladins had no kind of speed boost or powerful range Move since Judgment was short range at the time.

I don't understand why people think it was useless pre-Wotlk O_o since I had a Addon that used to count my HoW kills in PvP BG's and used Unreal tourney sounds for the stacks. Was one of the funnest things about Vanilla. I guess it is mostly just people who have only played since Wrath I guess.

Also they say they are going for Iconic spells and remove HoW?!? Like really. Even HEARTHSTONE Paladins have it as a Spell card.
    Usefull on normal mobs trying to flee. Gotcha.

I've played since mid vanilla and i think i can count on one hand how many times i've been killed by hammer of wrath in PVP up till wrath came.

Even it being useful, its HARDLY iconic in any way

- - - Updated - - -

Yes i'm 14. So what? Am i not allowed to be 14?

Anyway as Adamas102 said. The lenght of time you have a skill does not make it iconic for the class

Deleted
    Even it being useful, its HARDLY iconic in any way
    Well, regardless of whether or not it's a good thing to keep or lose, I'd certainly argue that it's iconic. With the exception of blessings (which have been greatly diminished) and judgement, it's the longest serving Retribution ability in the game (I think Exorcism was classed as Holy for quite a while iirc). The idea of smiting a fleeing enemy or finishing off one who has been beaten down with a holy light hammer is also very much in keeping with the Retribution idiom, and especially fits in with the introduction that they gave us in this preview.

Shiiiit. Never been this sad with a class change. Didn't care about the addition of holy power or the fact that they have changed exorcism 100 times. Damn. How will i finish my fleeing enemies now?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by paluman View Post
    Shiiiit. Never been this sad with a class change. Didn't care about the addition of holy power or the fact that they have changed exorcism 100 times. Damn. How will i finish my fleeing enemies now?
    You will work out where they are headed, fling your Lothar's (sorry, meant Turalyon's) Might and head them off at the pass. Just don't let anything flee more frequently than once every 30 seconds.