Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The Economist is a pretty well regarded business magazine worldwide, maybe the best.

Your market == number of consumers X the money they have to spend

China has 4 times the amount of consumers than we do. Thing is right now they are poor, if their standard of living increases 20%, that's a huge amount of money they can spend.

You'll notice that the Economist isn't saying China will have a economy that's 4 times as big as the US, they aren't even saying China will have twice as big of an economy.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    The purchasing power of each individual Chinese person has been doubling every 6-8 years. They started out so low that it has taken a while to bring them up to speed. I don't see any reason why they would not become closer to 50% of an average US or EU citizen over the enxt decade or so, which combined with 3x the population would basically account for a huge nominal GDP advantage over either the US or all of Europe combined. Or possibly even more than the US and all of Europe combined.

The other interesting thing about the charts is they basically say that India will be in 2nd place in 2055 or maybe as late as 2060. So if you were born in the year 1990 (age 25 now) ... when you are 70 you will see not one but two countries bigger than the US from an economic standpoint.

The 20th century was the US.
    The 21st century is the century of SE Asia.
    people don't understand, in order for china to rise others have to fall (which has happened slightly but nowhere near the degree these people are assuming). somebody has to be the one to do cheap labor until the machines can do it all. that country / group of people can only be paid from the people that have more. once there is balance the people that once had more will start producing their own and the once poor people will go back to being poor cause its more about policy and corruption at that point. and i find it funny people still think USA will fall to #2 even after the great recovery we just had. its ignorance and naivety at its finest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The Economist is a pretty well regarded business magazine worldwide, maybe the best.

Your market == number of consumers X the money they have to spend

China has 4 times the amount of consumers than we do. Thing is right now they are poor, if their standard of living increases 20%, that's a huge amount of money they can spend.

You'll notice that the Economist isn't saying China will have a economy that's 4 times as big as the US, they aren't even saying China will have twice as big of an economy.
    everybody thinks china will always go up, why? what have they proven they are capable of other than stealing technology and name brands?

everybody thinks china will always go up, why? what have they proven they are capable of other than stealing technology and name brands?
    Why do I think that China already IS prospering and will continue to do so? Because American companies are building more and more of their parts and stuff in China. Because Boeing will be manufacturing planes there instead of in the US. Because car companies are producing more cars in China than in the US. (However, profits are higher from the American sales due to the fact that Americans are so much wealthier than Chinese).

The American Media tells us what Businesses want us to believe. What they want us to believe is that China is not a threat and is very weak. But their actions speak louder than words. Furthermore, on things like Bullet Trains, Chinese technology is AHEAD of American technology. This strongly implies that there are other techs that they are ahead of us in, and that in other fields they are at least competitive with us.

The US Media is not to be trusted at all on things like this. They lie a lot. The actions of corporations that say things like "We are not an American corporation, We are a Global corporation that happens to have its headquarters in the US." speaks much louder than any words. And their actions point to a very strong China. One that has issues, but one that is dealing with them reasonably well and is moving on despite its issues.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Furthermore, on things like Bullet Trains, Chinese technology is AHEAD of American technology.
    All of which was licensed ...

Seriously, their R&D is nowhere near those of 1st world nations.

The US Media is not to be trusted at all on things like this. They lie a lot. The actions of corporations that say things like "We are not an American corporation, We are a Global corporation that happens to have its headquarters in the US." speaks much louder than any words. And their actions point to a very strong China. One that has issues, but one that is dealing with them reasonably well and is moving on despite its issues.
    And the state controlled Chinese media is?

People manufacture there because it's cheap. No other reason.

Boeing will manufacture wherever their customers want them to - this is why the Dreamliner has parts sourced from all over the world, e.g. the wings are made in Japan. Selling airliners is as much politics as business.

As for cars, duh. They have more people and need more cars. And let's not pretend they don't tariff to death imports.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

also at some point if all you say is true (china will rise and never cease too) then USA and others will have to make a decision if they want to sit there and allow that to happen. personally i would fight the chinese to the death before i allow them to rule the world, but im from the Philippines and a little biased.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    also at some point if all you say is true (china will rise and never cease too) then USA and others will have to make a decision if they want to sit there and allow that to happen. personally i would fight the chinese to the death before i allow them to rule the world, but im from the Philippines and a little biased.
    China literally has no friends on the world stage. No one wants to see a strong China.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    Pff... Internet tough guy detected :P mark ur word gentleman and be sure to fight with ur life

Quote Originally Posted by Bonewang-EU-Ragnaros View Post
    Pff... Internet tough guy detected :P mark ur word gentleman and be sure to fight with ur life
    more like middle aged married man with children

And the state controlled Chinese media is?
    On this we are agreed. The US Media and the Chinese Media are both not credible sources of information. They both lie for the purposes of protecting their "owners", and win political battles by repeating their lies loudly and often enough to drown out any opposing voices.

On this we are agreed. The US Media and the Chinese Media are both not credible sources of information. They both lie for the purposes of protecting their "owners", and win political battles by repeating their lies loudly and often enough to drown out any opposing voices.
    unless you been living under a rock you would acknowledge there is a major difference.