Interesting how the flying vs no flying sparks such an intense and long discussion, even though it does not actually matter that much.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    It happens. You tried Legion with no flying and you found it no fun. That is sufficient reason for you to walk away given that 7.1 brings more instanced content and flying isn't being released till mid expansion. However, mid expansion talk seems very vague to the point I do wonder can they even meet that deadline?
    I love how you injected every instance of his post with flying, even though it wasn't there. I'm surprised that you couldn't fit any more into his mouth.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Design the expansion for flight to avoid delaying flight. Delays flight behind a giant wall of achievements.

Logic!!!!
    uhh yes it makes sense, because instead of taking shortcuts, that if flying was active would make the world horrible, they made it with flying in mind, meaning much less work down the line, simply adding it, instead of having to fix the whole world, then add flying

its better to make something with something in mind
    then to fuck it all up later when your adding that something in
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    You say yourself that you are pro-flight, so why do you think it's good and what do you see its useful for. You seem to assume that if people are asking for it and choosing not to play, that it must be because it's an end-all mechanic. Yet you seem to ignore all the other pieces of the puzzle, like the fact that the content itself is a grind and travel time is a waste of it; or the fact that flight can be used for non-content purposes like simply enjoying the scenery.

So perhaps for you, it's not an end-all mechanic because you play the rest of the game, but you can't live with the fact that other people do?
    Flight is useful for transportation. I sometimes use it when I roleplay. Then again, I roleplay in classic locations where flight is permissible. Once flight is unlocked with Legion, I'll likely RP out in one of those zones as well (if the storyline takes our guild there). I can live with that fact just fine. I just wish they would express their dismay and move on rather than continuing to perpetuate the same misinformation about the expansion. It's one thing to offer feedback in a game you play. It is another to piss and moan about a missing mechanic in a game which you have neither purchased nor subbed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    So you admit you are being purposefully ignorant and are attacking other people's opinions because you can't understand it yourself. That's what I'm pretty much reading here.

I agree with your statements about Druids and flight not being content, but I completely disagree with your stance that this is an excuse, that it is lame and that because you are pro-flight that no one else can have an opinion that differs from your own idea of flight. While I respect you having a strong opinion that you stand by, I see a lot of stereotyping and blatant discrimination against anyone who values flight more than you do.
    You are going to read whatever you want to read. And you are going to use whatever inflammatory language you want to use. I can be discriminatory because of the path I've walked (pardon the pun). I already know Blizz doesn't care. I know flight was added as a stop-gap to an already hemorrhaging sub loss for multiple reasons. I know they would rather leave it out as long as possible and see how long it takes until they can go an entire expac without adding it at all.

If flight were such a MAJOR thing, wouldn't they have added it to the two TBC starting zones and all of the outdated isles in Pandaria? Guess it is not the wildly popular mechanic some of these exaggeration artists would make it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalrion View Post
    Interesting how the flying vs no flying sparks such an intense and long discussion, even though it does not actually matter that much.
    Actually it matters a lot, because we have seen changes from WoD---> Legion. Legion zones are smaller than WoD, have higher mob density and they scale thus making travel on the ground travel with a mount more punishing. We have also seen nerfs to many toys that allowed people to move around the Broken Isles. Blizzard is relying on flight whistle to hold together things like a bandaid when in fact they can't keep patching it up as artifact demands increase with each passing week. Players will increasingly value time as rewards in the world reach diminishing returns and thus where flying increases in popularity in the hearts and minds of players that enjoy the non raiding content. Non raiders are the majority of this game and flying is an integral part of that non raider players experience of the world of warcraft IMVHO.

Blizzard is regressing and removal of flight or the attempt to do that in WoD failed, because players united in a majority fashion to reject Blizzard's future vision for not just flight to the implications is has for the entire game world.

To the handful of pro-flyers left lurking in this thread, its a life-or-death sky-is-falling issue that's causing a 'community meltdown' as we speak.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Why is this even a thing? Something RL comes up in a no-fly zone I'm either porting or logging out on the spot. This isn't a flying thing, this is a 'game without a pause button' thing.

So much no to this. Maybe I've just been extremely unlucky this past week, but the amount of dazed and dismounts I'm getting is off the charts. Seriously, I don't remember it being this bad since vanilla. It's not adventurous, it's not challenging, it's a pain in the ass. Hell, yesterday I got lost in a cave and I couldn't kill faster than mobs respawned. I couldn't run because I kept getting dismounted and forced to fight. It was absolutely ridiculous. Porting out wasn't an option because I had to get to the other side to turn in a quest. It single handedly made me want to quit (perhaps a little melodramatic but it put me in a really bad mood) and I logged off aggravated that anyone considers that a fun gaming experience.

That's not a flight thing either, but it is a 'ground experience is not all it's cracked up to be' commentary (rant :P).
    Some folks only know how to fly... not how to adventure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StangMan04 View Post
    People who are saying they don't want flying so they can explore on a ground mount are idiots/trolls. They are just like the rest of us, flight point to WQ then use whistle to GTFO as quick as possible. This exploring crap is just trolling people who want flying. I honestly don't care either way, but I would like Blizz to be upfront with people and tell it like it is, will there or will there not be flying in the entire expansion. Because if this whole achievement part 1 and whatever future parts doesn't give flying at the end of the day, I will stop working on it and wasting my time on a 20% mount speed increase and do better things like level my other 12 100s on my horde server since my 12 alliance are already 110. 20% mount increase isn't worth it, especially for those folks who want to "explore". I laugh every time I read that. Human nature is to take the path of least resistance and flying would be that.
    The achievement to unlock it is called a pathfinder.... not a flightpath finder.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    uhh yes it makes sense, because instead of taking shortcuts, that if flying was active would make the world horrible, they made it with flying in mind, meaning much less work down the line, simply adding it, instead of having to fix the whole world, then add flying

Well that is what we hope is true for Legion. But as WoD showed that flip of the switch didn't happen. Like all things testing is requirement for all that is for WoW major systems and sub systems.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Well that is what we hope is true for Legion. But as WoD showed that flip of the switch didn't happen. Like all things testing is requirement for all that is for WoW major systems and sub systems.
    did you even fucking read?
    the reason it wasent a flip the switch for wod was because they dident make it with flying in mind, there was so many weird invisable walls, so much weird sky boxes
    legion has no weird invisable walls in the sky, it has no weird flying clipping, and this has been proven by the amount of "flying" items like gliders with emerald wind

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    You do know that those that post on the official forums are the (very) vocal minority, don't you? Like here, as others have said, hundreds of thousands of people visit MMO-C regularly, but only about three of you are vocal about "No Flying."

Oh, I like the thread topic. "No flying in 7.0 confirmed" was something that I enjoyed, as I said. Just becuase you don't like what I have to say doesn't mean that you have to participate by replying to me, though.
    There are currently 15398 users online. 908 members and 14490 guests (Taken from the bottom of the Forum page). 15k+ users online and 10 (being generous) are bothered by the lack of flight, or are being vocal about it. Makes this sample size 0.0000015398% representing flight. That's taking into account that all users are even subbed. If we say 1000 of those users are subbed (which our 10 noisemakers are not), that means they make up 0.001% of the playerbase (respectively).

They will be here until 7.x when flight is finally unlocked and then jump with joy for being the reason it was added back in and Blizz caved to them and their mighty voices.

I know this is a bit behind the curve, but I wanted to point out that designing flight to not technically break the game is different than actually designing the game with flight in mind(as in the design actually using flight). Legion is built for the ground. Flight is an afterthought. It does not require nearly a year of technical work on the terrain to keep it from breaking. The idea that they're delaying flight for technical reason is, quite frankly, a thin excuse.

In short, I understand the technical reasons for wanting to account for flight in the design from the beginning instead of trying to retro-fit it later. I simply don't believe for a moment that it's responsible for any significant delay, specifically because of that same reason.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2016-10-15 at 05:32 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hardly a discussion. It's a handful of people who aren't subbed and haven't paid for the game bitching about a mechanic that Blizz will eventually add, and those with more interest in the game than the method of travel telling them to get over it.

7+ Year Old Account
    I know this is a bit behind the curve, but I wanted to point out that designing flight to technically not break the game is different than actually designing the game with flight in mind. Legion is built for the ground. Flight is an afterthought. It does not require nearly a year of technical work on the terrain to keep it from breaking. The idea that they're delaying flight for technical reason is, quite frankly, a thin excuse.

In short, I understand the technical reasons for wanting to account for flight in the design from the beginning instead of trying to retro-fit it later. I simply don't believe for a moment that it's responsible for any significant delay, specifically because of that same reason.

ok so in wod, they made the skybox, with flight not coming, so they spent maybe like 5 seconds on the sky box, making just a long flat skybox, and if you remember early PTR for 6.2, you had to fly around hellfire citidal, you couldent fly over it, as the skybox was horrid, it simply had giant invis walls going from the ground up to space

it was a massive delay for wod, as they had to go and remove al lthese invisable walls, and make the skybox smooth, slowly go up when you reach a higher place, go down when you reach a lower place, mount hyjal is the perfect example of a invisable skybox, when you fly off it, the skybox goes down, so you cant fly 10000 miles over the ground evertywhere else

legion was made with flying in mind, so the skybox is done, the only thing holding flying back is the acheivment, and thats fine, they want to add it when they want to, but when they want to it will be a simple flip of a switch, unlike wod where they had to redo the whole skybox

Well Tanaan always had invisible walls, especially around HFC since WoD beta when players like Heelsvsbabyface were sneaking into Tanaan to look around and show his subscribers. I do not think that indicates that flying was an afterthought more like they wanted to keep the final tier under wraps.

Deleted
    Get Emerald Winds, stack gliders....there you can now fly every 10min.

legion was made with flying in mind, so the skybox is done, the only thing holding flying back is the acheivment, and thats fine, they want to add it when they want to, but when they want to it will be a simple flip of a switch, unlike wod where they had to redo the whole skybox
    Yes, like I said, I understand that. My original post was making fun of the idea of flight being delayed for technical reasons when it was, in fact, only being delayed for purely arbitrary placement in the timeline of the expansion. There was an implication that flight was being delayed because it was still being worked on, which I thought was ridiculous enough to make fun of.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Get Emerald Winds, stack gliders....there you can now fly every 10min.
    It's not quite the same, but it does work(every 10 minutes) to mitigate a lot of annoying parts of getting to most world quests. But then that begs the question: If we have effective flying ability via those toys, then what's the reasoning behind beating around the bush and playing these stupid delay-games with true flight?

My belief is that flying is not being restricted for any game balance or technical reasons, but simply because it's more valuable to Blizzard as a carrot to get people to play more of the game(and thus potentially have one more reason to sub for longer). But then again, that argument is what this entire thread is about, after all.

Deleted
    My belief is that flying is not being restricted for any game balance or technical reasons, but simply because it's more valuable to Blizzard as a carrot to get people to play more of the game(and thus potentially have one more reason to sub for longer). But then again, that argument is what this entire thread is about, after all.
    I truly believe is for immersion purposes. Probably the only decision by Blizzard to keep immersion in the game.

Its fun to watch the world full of people instead of flying afk in the air.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, like I said, I understand that. My original post was making fun of the idea of flight being delayed for technical reasons when it was, in fact, only being delayed for purely arbitrary placement in the timeline of the expansion. There was an implication that flight was being delayed because it was still being worked on, which I thought was ridiculous enough to make fun of.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not quite the same, but it does work(every 10 minutes) to mitigate a lot of annoying parts of getting to most world quests. But then that begs the question: If we have effective flying ability via those toys, then what's the reasoning behind beating around the bush and playing these stupid delay-games with true flight?

uh no, at first they dident add flying in wod because they dident want to add it, then when they gave in and decided they would add it, they had to fix the world, so yes it was technical reasons, not arbitary placement...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I truly believe is for immersion purposes. Probably the only decision by Blizzard to keep immersion in the game.

Its fun to watch the world full of people instead of flying afk in the air.
    ^^^^ running through the world you see people, it looks like a active world, a world of warcraft
    being able to fly you will see little to no one, making the game feel dead

^^^^ running through the world you see people, it looks like a active world, a world of warcraft
    being able to fly you will see little to no one, making the game feel dead
    The Legion pre-event had flying and also had waves of people visable and active doing all sorts of things. BC, WotLK, MoP and Cata all had flying at max level and the world didn't suffer any.

One could also argue that it is the hubs of action where you are meant to see people, like towns and quest areas (like the Legion pre event and world quest areas)and seeing people on the journey in between doesn't ad much. After all, you can't complete anything while flying above it, everyone has to be on the ground to do most types of content.
    Cuz right now it is do the wq objective, whistle out and fp to where each player is going next. This is better than flying....how?
    "These so called speed humps are a joke. If anything, they slow you down. "

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSandwich View Post
    The Legion pre-event had flying and also had waves of people visable and active doing all sorts of things. BC, WotLK, MoP and Cata all had flying at max level and the world didn't suffer any.

One could also argue that it is the hubs of action where you are meant to see people, like towns and quest areas (like the Legion pre event and world quest areas)and seeing people on the journey in between doesn't ad much. After all, you can't complete anything while flying above it, everyone has to be on the ground to do most types of content.
    Cuz right now it is do the wq objective, whistle out and fp to where each player is going next. This is better than flying....how?
    the pre-event filtered people into a small area, normal flying doesent do that...
    bc the world still felt rather dead, same with WOTLK, walking around the world you rarely saw people, only in shatrath you saw tons, same with Mop and Cata, you dident see people very often unless you were in hubs

and its better cause you run along with people, run past, see, and help people, instead of simply flying point A to B and see no one