View Poll Results: Are you happy with our Artifact background story ?

Voters
83. This poll is closed
  • Yes, it is decent and matches our class identity.

68 81.93%
  • No, lorewise it could have been way better.

15 18.07%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

All warlock artifacts with Sargeras-only-lore.. how "convenient"

Hello fellow warlocks,

it's not the first time we see Blizz pull lore out of their as$ like this, but seriously why does it always have to be Sargeras/old gods/other Titans?
    There is plenty of unique warlock lore arround Azeroth, and i personally would have liked to wield the weapon of some of "our" own..

Scepter of Sargeras - this imo should be the only item associated with Sargeras background (it's actually pretty cool)

Created through incredible effort by hundreds of Sargeras' servants, this scepter can rip open dimensional gateways between worlds. It was entombed beneath the sea for centuries, then used by the orc shaman Ner'zhul to open the portals that tore the world of Draenor apart, leaving behind the shattered realm of Outland. The scepter was finally secured by the elite magi of the Kirin Tor. Unable to destroy it, they hid it away in a magically protected chamber and put it under eternal watch to prevent it from ever being used again.

Skull of the Man’ari - very interesting concept, but what kind of wicked shit is this lore behind it ??

Before the eredar served the titan Sargeras, one of their greatest leaders, Thal'kiel, had unprecedented skill with summoning and binding magics. Driven by ambition, he reached into the Void and was answered with knowledge of dark creatures unlike any the eredar had seen before. His audacious power grab infuriated the demon lord Archimonde, who struck him down, then had his skull gilded and placed on display as a warning. Today the dreadlord Mephistroth uses it to enhance his ability to summon and command demon armies for the Legion.

Ulthalesh, The Deadwind Harvester - this one is simply pathetic

The first necrolyte to walk the world of Azeroth, Satiel, was given this scythe by the titan Sargeras himself. It grows in power as it draws souls from its victims. The Harvester earned its name as Satiel methodically drained all life from the hapless inhabitants of Deadwind Pass, creating a potent magical nexus there in the process. Hunting down Satiel, the Guardian of Tirisfal turned the scythe on her, sending her soul to join those of her victims. Eventually the Dark Riders recovered the weapon and secreted it beneath the tower of Karazhan.

It all seems set, and i know its less likely to be changed, but if so, who and what do you think is worthy of being mentioned/used for our spec-defining weapons, that we'll be using the whole expansion ?

10+ Year Old Account
    What's wrong with them being Sargeras-related? He's literally the overlord of every demon in the burning legion, whose ranks we use to summon. It makes total sense that our artifacts would be power stolen from him.

I admit that they probably could've put some more effort into thinking up something original to write, but as ScreaMoluvR said, if any class were to get all their artifact from one guy, Warlocks and Sargeras is the best bet.

You're complaining about the sexy looking warlock artifacts with backround relating to the most powerful being in all of WoW? Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I find this a bit crazy. Try being a warrior, or a rogue, with really weird and ugly artifacts that have crappy background. Your artifacts are so nice, especially that scythe.

Sexy looking artifacts+lore tied to the most powerful person in all of WoW (sargeras)= 100% badassery. Keep in mind, a lot of the artifacts that have really never been mentioned throughout WoW (all warrior weapons, all rogue weapons, most shaman weapons, the list goes on..) all have made up lore tied to someone that's existed some point in WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scyldragon View Post
    I admit that they probably could've put some more effort into thinking up something original to write
    This. bothers me the most. Sargeras isnt the worst option, its good, but i thing we deserve better descriptions at least, if not better story behind them

I'd agree with Taeldorian;

We got a pretty nice lineup of artifacts, though I agree also that maybe they could have had a bit more "not made up on the spot" feeling stories.

Still better than some classes that have no significant lore so they're being shafted completely.

i7 4690K/4.7GHz | GTX 960 SSC (x2 SLI) | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Gigabyte Z97X SLI | Corsair CX600W | Corsair Air 540 Silver | Corsair H110i Cooler
    XL2430T @ 144Hz | Corsair K70 RGB Brown | Logitech G400S/800DPI+1.2 sens+Raw Input | QcK+

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnywalker View Post
    [SIZE=2]
    Skull of the Man’ari - very interesting concept, but what kind of wicked shit is this lore behind it ??

Before the eredar served the titan Sargeras, one of their greatest leaders, Thal'kiel, had unprecedented skill with summoning and binding magics. Driven by ambition, he reached into the Void and was answered with knowledge of dark creatures unlike any the eredar had seen before. His audacious power grab infuriated the demon lord Archimonde, who struck him down, then had his skull gilded and placed on display as a warning. Today the dreadlord Mephistroth uses it to enhance his ability to summon and command demon armies for the Legion.
    Is nobody getting up in arms about the massive Lore errors that this description has?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMedivh View Post
    Is nobody getting up in arms about the massive Lore errors that this description has?
    It doesn't have any lore errors; it was written by Blizzard and thus is the lore.

I wonder, in an expansion about the legion, why Blizzard chose to create artifact weapons for a class deeply tied to demons and fel. Is it perhaps because the storylines and associated quest lines might have some sort of tie-ins with the content of the expansion, perhaps?

Hmm. I wonder.

Frankly, I'm really, REALLY glad that there aren't more Ashbringer and Doomhammer-esk artifacts going to be popping up in the millions. I think it's ridiculous to rip a weapon that has a deep seated history in the lore and hand a copy of it to literally every single player in the expansion; it requires too much suspension of disbelief. With the weapons somewhat starting from scratch, it is much easier for it to be "my" weapon rather than "this weapon I've been hearing about forever that doesn't make a lot of sense now being in my hands".
    Last edited by Delekii; 2015-11-11 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    It doesn't have any lore errors; it was written by Blizzard and thus is the lore.
    Archimonde is one of the three Eredar Lords that presided over the race when they converted to the Legion. Unless Blizzard is retconning their lore, AGAIN, it CANNOT have been Archimonde getting pissed if Thal'kiel summoned Void shit BEFORE they converted to Sargeras.

Unless Archimonde transcends time itself and was a Demon before he became a Demon. By any standard measure of time, Archimonde would not have been a Demon Lord at this point, and it would have to have been some other demon lord who killed him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post

With the weapons somewhat starting from scratch, it is much easier for it to be "my" weapon rather than "this weapon I've been hearing about forever that doesn't make a lot of sense now being in my hands".
    You've made a damn good point in there

Deleted
    Archimonde is one of the three Eredar Lords that presided over the race when they converted to the Legion. Unless Blizzard is retconning their lore, AGAIN, it CANNOT have been Archimonde getting pissed if Thal'kiel summoned Void shit BEFORE they converted to Sargeras.

Unless Archimonde transcends time itself and was a Demon before he became a Demon. By any standard measure of time, Archimonde would not have been a Demon Lord at this point, and it would have to have been some other demon lord who killed him.
    It's bad wording. It seems to mean Thal'kiel was a good summoner before the eredar became man'ari and started tapping into the void after the bargain with Sargeras, which upset Archimonde just the tiniest bit.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Why would Archimonde not be able to be pissed, before Sargeras changed them they were actual benevolent leaders, meaning someone fucking with Dark Energies was a no-no and he was punished.

You can also reference someones past with their current title. Say someone mentions something about Queen Elizabeth when she was a Child, they don't say the "then princess" they say Queen Elizabeth because people realise it was in the past.

That's not what was written though. The only thing that occured before they were turned to Eredar was that the guy "had unprecedented skill with summoning and binding magics". Everything in the next line and following, ie "Driven by ambition" etc happened after they were turned.

Sure it's not the most flawlessly written piece of lore but there's no need to get your knickers in a twist over it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Why would Archimonde not be able to be pissed, before Sargeras changed them they were actual benevolent leaders, meaning someone fucking with Dark Energies was a no-no and he was punished.
    Did say "demon lord Archimonde" though. He wasn't a demon lord pre-Sargeras afaik.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it's missing a bit of text to clearly indicate that the first sentence is before they served Sargeras and the second sentence happens after they became man'ari.

This guy was good at summoning demons before they even met Sargeras -- hell, he might have even drawn Sargeras's attention to Argus -- and after they joined the Legion, his ambition was punished by Archimonde, who possibly saw him as a potential rival for leadership.

Deleted
    it's not the first time we see Blizz pull lore out of their as$ like this
    I found it very hard to take you seriously after this, considering ALL lore is pulled out of that place. You know, fictional stuff that someone made up one day. And continue to make up because it's imaginary and not actual events being told. Just because you don't like the theme doesn't mean it's poop. It may look like poop, smell like poop and feel like poop to you, but that's lore. Can't please everyone.

15+ Year Old Account

Not all eredar served the legion the instant the Big 3 converted. That is why you can have Archimonde the demon lord getting annoyed at an upstart Eredar trying to reach behind his position. It never said Thal'kiel was before Archimonde converted. Simply before the Eredar served the legion. Which according to lore Archimonde served the Legion before the rest of his kin.

Or it could simply be as others said that the skull was gilded after they all become demons in retribution for starting them on that path. We won't know more until we actually get to experience the stories of the artifacts in game.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2015-11-11 at 02:31 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Hold on a sec, am I misreading something here?

Am I misreading this, or is this a plot hole with Archimonde being a demon lord before the eredar served Sargeras? I hope it's the former and just a result of me being tired.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Not all eredar served the legion the instant the Big 3 converted. That is why you can have Archimonde the demon lord getting annoyed at an upstart Eredar trying to reach behind his position. It never said Thal'kiel was before Archimonde converted. Simply before the Eredar served the legion. Which according to lore Archimonde served the Legion before the rest of his kin.
    How much time could there have been? Unless he was one of the Draenei but this doesn't suggest he was. The rest of the eredar were turned into demons when Sargeras arrived, it's never really been hinted there was a third group of eredar beyond the Legion ones and Draenei ones.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    How much time could there have been? Unless he was one of the Draenei but this doesn't suggest he was. The rest of the eredar were turned into demons when Sargeras arrived, it's never really been hinted there was a third group of eredar beyond the Legion ones and Draenei ones.
    It didn't happen instantly though because Eredar escape Argus. It was likely still a battle that took a short while before the Big 3 could get critical mass and/or the arrival of Sargeras and the Legion to "mass convert".
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

You guys are making this way too complicated.

Before the eredar served the titan Sargeras, one of their greatest leaders, Thal'kiel, had unprecedented skill with summoning and binding magics.
    That's just a little exposition as to his character and skill to inform what he did AFTER they started serving Sargeras. "Before they turned, he was a good summoner. Then after they turned he reached into the void and blah blah blah."

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    I think it's missing a bit of text to clearly indicate that the first sentence is before they served Sargeras and the second sentence happens after they became man'ari.

This guy was good at summoning demons before they even met Sargeras -- hell, he might have even drawn Sargeras's attention to Argus -- and after they joined the Legion, his ambition was punished by Archimonde, who possibly saw him as a potential rival for leadership.
    Yes. Exactly this.

Deleted
    I think all of our artifacts are pretty cool, and Ulthalesh is especially intertesting to me. We'll get to delve under Karazhan, revisit some Karazhan lore, awaken a Wild-Hunt like spirit swarm... what the fuck is there not to like?