Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Well there is a war on christmas where I live. We have "Weihnachtsmärkte" (Christmas markets) and they want to change it to the PC term Winter market. Why change the name, its just a place where people get drunk and buy expensive stuff and get their purse stolen by east european/ illegal immigrant thief gangs every year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reaching has never gone so far.

must be a slow day at Breitbart.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Well there is a war on christmas where I live. We have "Weihnachtsmärkte" (Christmas markets) and they want to change it to the PC term Winter market. Why change the name, its just a place where people get drunk and buy expensive stuff and get their purse stolen by east european/ illegal immigrant thief gangs every year.
    Seems like christians should support that sort of decoupling, unless they're acting like entitled asses and demanding everyone celebrate their holiday or its somehow an offense against them.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

breitbart.com, where intelligence goes to die.

(Well, intelligence also goes to conservapedia to die, but sometimes there's no vacancy there.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Seems like christians should support that sort of decoupling, unless they're acting like entitled asses and demanding everyone celebrate their holiday or its somehow an offense against them.
    Nah it's just tradition, I wouldnt visit a ramadan festival either, so whats the problem ? I'm not even christian or anything but I think the name can stay because many people are christian here. I demand ramadan festivals to be renamed to "Nofood@dayfestival" and Aschura should be renamed to "Moaningday", and turkish bazars should be renamed to human bazars, see how stupid that is..
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2015-11-09 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    Reaching has never gone so far.
    But he wasn't reading too much into it. He said so himself, don't you believe him?

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the way he expresses it is silly, but I kinda see his point tbh. I grew up celebrating Christmas in Danmark and Norway, and I've been in all of the Scandinavian countries at Christmas, and as secular as we all are there's no one making a fuss about it being a Christian holiday.

It's quite obviously Christmas. It's not "generic holiday season", it's Christmas. Anyone can celebrate it, no one needs to believe in Jesus or be read bible verses, but the holiday as it's celebrated today does have Christian roots, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

My Muslim friends all celebrate Eid and we all call it Eid, and when it's Christmas they enjoy the public decorations and wish people a happy Christmas then go home and live their lives like normal. There's no harm, no proselytizing, no offense, just a holiday called Christmas where people do whatever cultural celebrations they like.

I don't really care if it evolves into being thought of as a generic holiday with no particular cultural practices with no ties to anything, but rebranding it as such to move away from christian cultural roots certainly is "cleansing christian culture" regardless of intent.
    Last edited by Revi; 2015-11-09 at 12:38 AM.

Christmas doesn't even have anything to do with Christianity, it's just an amalgamation of pagan holidays, which I'm pretty sure their little book forbids participating in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone knows Jesus didn't walk on water. He ice skated. Taking away the skates is an affront to god!

When exactly did lack of explicit accommodation become equal to active oppression.

Quote Originally Posted by Karrotlord View Post
    Everyone knows Jesus didn't walk on water. He ice skated. Taking away the skates is an affront to god!

When exactly did lack of explicit accommodation become equal to active oppression.
    When you're used to being extremely entitled.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I don't really care if it evolves into being thought of as a generic holiday with no particular cultural practices with no ties to anything, but rebranding it as such to move away from christian cultural roots certainly is "cleansing christian culture" regardless of intent.
    It's been moving away from its roots pretty much since its inception.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    From the article...

Surely going East at Christmas would be a good thing, considering where Jesus came from and all that.
    Now East is coming west and has been pissing on the "Christmas parade" so to speak for the last 15 years or so. It has gotten really bad recently. Though quite frankly, I know a number of immigrant Canadians who respect and even show solidarity towards our holidays by putting up their displays. My neighbour is from India and he puts up Halloween decorations and Christmas lights every year, as do many others in my area.

You know, it's funny though. In all of this anti-Christmas sentiment that corporations seem to have because we don't want to offend non Christians, my workplace is one of the few places where the word "Christmas" still exists in all of it's forms. We have Christmas parties, because it is our workplace annual gatherings. We have a Christmas lunch at our building plus we have a formal event, both of which are blatantly labeled as such. And through it all, I have not heard a single complaint from anyone of another faith or ethnicity. And I work with Muslims, Hindu/Sikh's and various other backgrounds. They respect our right to celebrate our holidays as much as we as a company respect their religious symbols and traditions and however they choose to celebrate them. The problem is that many corporations don't do that because the PC assholes running their PR departments are idiots who thinks that the whole concept of Christmas and the Christian faith are some how hated by immigrants.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2015-11-09 at 12:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps we should go back to when Christians in the US territories would stone to death anyone they caught practicing the pagan ritual of christmas?

Or better yet get rid of this whole "presidency" thing and bring back the King of the Bean?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Certainly. Christmas now is entirely different to what it was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Which is good, as JC was something of a crappy party host - he only served bread and fish for his guests, and didn't even bring enough of them. As for his wine...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Which is good, as JC was something of a crappy party host - he only served bread and fish for his guests, and didn't even bring enough of them. As for his wine...
    He was way better the day after when he could lay his hand onto ones forehead and cure your hangover.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Certainly. Christmas now is entirely different to what it was.
    You mean you don't sacrifice animals to the old gods anymore?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Now East is coming west and has been pissing on the "Christmas parade" so to speak for the last 15 years or so. It has gotten really bad recently. Though quite frankly, I know a number of immigrant Canadians who respect and even show solidarity towards our holidays by putting up their displays. My neighbour is from India and he puts up Halloween decorations and Christmas lights every year, as do many others in my area.

You know, it's funny though. In all of this anti-Christmas sentiment that corporations seem to have because we don't want to offend non Christians, my workplace is one of the few places where the word "Christmas" still exists in all of it's forms. We have Christmas parties, because it is our workplace annual gatherings. We have a Christmas lunch at our building plus we have a formal event, both of which are blatantly labeled as such. And through it all, I have not heard a single complaint from anyone of another faith or ethnicity. And I work with Muslims, Hindu/Sikh's and various other backgrounds. They respect our right to celebrate our holidays as much as we as a company respect their religious symbols and traditions and however they choose to celebrate them. The problem is that many corporations don't do that because the PC assholes running their PR departments are idiots who thinks that the whole concept of Christmas and the Christian faith are some how hated by immigrants.
    There is nothing Christian about corporations cashing in on Christmas. You can't serve both God and money and all that malarkey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing to do with cleansing christian culture, but this move does seem like it's on a multicultural vector. Especially considering this:

“In the past, we have told stories with our holiday cups designs,” said Starbucks’ Vice President of Design & Content Jeffrey Fields. “This year we wanted to usher in the holidays with a purity of design that welcomes all of our stories.”
    Blech. Stories don't need to be "all-inclusive" in order to have value for everyone.

Hilariously, while this red cup attempts to make a point of inclusion, it's concurrently showing us the endpoint of ultratolerance and cultural/moral relativism. We start with a remarkable phenomenon, and then carve bits away to address each individual's grievance until we have nothing left to decry.