Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Is it worth pursuing ring nowdays?

With everyone geared and knowledgeable of the raids is it ok to roll an alt for raiding without going for legendary ring? I mean, i know we still got a long time for legion but i wont be actively doing the ring quests. I will admit, its the shipyard that really pisses me off though.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're still going to want to work on it if you want to get into raids more easily - but it depends where you're aiming. If you're just looking to do normal mode and pugs, probably not needed at all. If you're looking to get into Mythic you're going to need it because most guilds are going to expect you to have one already, unless you have some very impressive credentials and they're willing to invest in long term or they're friends of yours willing to boost you!

Deleted
    Main deterrence is that it takes months upon months to catch up with others, even when it becomes orange. It's annoying really. I wanted to start a couple more classes for the lols again and it's sad thinking about the ring progress.

Cata was more fun. I would roll a tank alt or something and have it geared in no time.
    Last edited by mmocdc260e8e2a; 2015-11-11 at 11:54 AM.

It took me 45 days to get the ring for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    It took me 45 days to get the ring for reference.
    It took me 5 weeks on my Rogue alt to get to Garona / tomes stage. That's including the Tanaan quest "turn in 20k apexis for runes / abrogators", shipyard, garrison missions, work orders, lfr every week and bonus for having it on main. Then I stopped but I doubt I could do tomes in 2 weeks. Either I was unlucky or you were very lucky.

Shipyard was really the least of my worries, I had to do apexis dailies in Tanaan anyway for the 20k apexis weekly so Oil came along and rep for oil rig afterwards. And then just send stuff until it suceeds, sooner or later it will, rebuild ships if they explode. Min maxing shipyard is hard and annoying, sending it randomly is not really much of a problem as long as you have some oil and master plan addon. Rest is just waiting.

Deleted
    You were unlucky. 2 - 3 weeks to get to tomes is the main time that it takes to most of my alts / guildies that try it after catch up mechanism went live.
    Then 2 - 3 more weeks for chaos tomes.

@ OP : catch up make it really easy, and the damage boost is huge with the ring. On tank... It's a dps trinket anyway, so not really necessary. For heals, I do'nt know For an alt... I guess it would be good for mythic. For normal / heroic, it's still worth doing the quest coz you'll get it someday. You won't have the urge for it though.
    Last edited by mmocda102fee2d; 2015-11-11 at 11:55 AM.

Deleted
    And then you have the upgrades though.

Deleted
    To be fair the upgrade is neat and all but in the grand scheme of things I doubt it makes or brakes and app into an atleast somewhat decent guild.

2-3 weeks for 33 tomes... Is there a catch up mechanic for this part? (Not remotely interested in getting ring on my alts) Otherwise I'm calling lies.
    You'd have to get 11 tomes from 13 bosses 3 weeks in a row to hit this timeline

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelendria View Post
    2-3 weeks for 33 tomes... Is there a catch up mechanic for this part? (Not remotely interested in getting ring on my alts) Otherwise I'm calling lies.
    ATM on my alt im at 20 tomes in two lockouts. with enough luck 11 sounds plausible i guess. But i agree its nowhere near exact science. My GF got 14 in two lockouts so far.

If nothing has changed since the release of the ring for alts on tomes; 20 in 2 weeks is very good. On average IIRC the drop rate worked out to be somewhere between 50-60%.
    Also going back to my original quote of the guy. With no catch up it's actually impossible to get them in 2 weeks. That would mean on on average you'd need 16.5 tomes from 13 bosses lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Zelendria View Post
    There's been people to get the ring 3 weeks in when HFC launched (although I do recall some people getting multiple from a boss the first week, which was fixed later).

Quote Originally Posted by Dicmonger View Post
    To be fair the upgrade is neat and all but in the grand scheme of things I doubt it makes or brakes and app into an atleast somewhat decent guild.
    The expectation for most apps for those that don't have their ring is that they are either working on the final step.

Nobody is going to take you seriously without it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelraxx View Post
    The expectation for most apps for those that don't have their ring is that they are either working on the final step.

Nobody is going to take you seriously without it.
    I think he meant the upgrades from Archimonde not the ring itself.

if they dont improve the catch up mechanics, its hard slap in the face of altoholics (like me) especially at the last tier that lasts this long...

How many alts actually NEED the ring as opposed to simply WANTING the ring....

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    It took me 5 weeks on my Rogue alt to get to Garona / tomes stage. That's including the Tanaan quest "turn in 20k apexis for runes / abrogators", shipyard, garrison missions, work orders, lfr every week and bonus for having it on main. Then I stopped but I doubt I could do tomes in 2 weeks. Either I was unlucky or you were very lucky.

Shipyard was really the least of my worries, I had to do apexis dailies in Tanaan anyway for the 20k apexis weekly so Oil came along and rep for oil rig afterwards. And then just send stuff until it suceeds, sooner or later it will, rebuild ships if they explode. Min maxing shipyard is hard and annoying, sending it randomly is not really much of a problem as long as you have some oil and master plan addon. Rest is just waiting.
    It took me 3 weeks to get on Tomes on my Hunter alt

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    if they dont improve the catch up mechanics, its hard slap in the face of altoholics (like me) especially at the last tier that lasts this long...
    3-4 weeks to get to the final stage is pretty darn good. There are a ton of catch up mechanics in play.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway at the OP, if you plan on raiding in any capacity (casually, LFR, hardcore) I'd recommend it. It's too big of a performance increase.

Deleted
    Shipyard is primary method of catchup for 6.0 and 6.1 stages. Forget about the apexis quests,that's way too expensive. Shipyard will get you there in few weeks without the need to grind so many bloody crystals.

Unless you already have load of them and nothing to spend them on ofc. Then feel free to burn it on this quest.

I got orange ring on 2 characters: my main and my primary alt (sort of main). Other characters stopped at Garona. Essentialy up until Garona you can do this quest without any serious grinding involved.

As for the archimonde ring upgrades, yes it's a massive PITA to upgrade it to max, but it's just a long-term content nerf. 735 ring is a massive upgrade over the 715 one, but further upgrading your ring you really don't gain that much. Just the ilvl goes up a bit, so you do slightly more damage during the effect. I can't really see guilds demanding you to have 760+ ring. Basic 735 is good enough.
    Last edited by mmocd8b7f80d95; 2015-11-11 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    It's not crazy for someone to join a guild and want to, you know, eventually become competitive. The time gating on the ring makes that basically impossible for 6-8 months, which is stupid.
    I said alt... Not main.
    Also your biggest boost with the ring isn't the upgrade each week it's actually having it

If youre as good as method then you wont need it but yeah if youre not doing mythic then the 715 is good enough. With the vp upgrade soon you might even be able to get through the easier mythics