Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Happy Veterans Day!

There is a great enough number of U.S citizens on this forum for this thread to be appropriate.

WHEREAS it has long been our custom to commemorate November 11, the anniversary of the ending of World War I, by paying tribute to the heroes of that tragic struggle and by rededicating ourselves to the cause of peace; and

WHEREAS in the intervening years the United States has been involved in two other great military conflicts, which have added millions of veterans living and dead to the honor rolls of this Nation; and

WHEREAS the Congress passed a concurrent resolution on June 4, 1928 (44 Stat. 1962), calling for the observance of November 11 with appropriate ceremonies, and later provided in an act approved May 13, 1938 (52 Stat. 351), that the eleventh of November should be a legal holiday and should be known as Armistice Day; and

WHEREAS in order to expand the significance of that commemoration and in order that a grateful nation might pay appropriate homage to the veterans of all its wars who have contributed so much to the preservation of this Nation, the Congress, by an act approved June 1, 1954 (68 Stat. 168), changed the name of the holiday to Veterans Day;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER, President of the United States of America, do hereby call upon all of our citizens to observe Thursday, November 11, 1954, as Veterans Day. On that day let us solemnly remember the sacrifices of all those who fought so valiantly, on the seas, in the air, and on foreign shores, to preserve our heritage of freedom, and let us reconsecrate ourselves to the task of promoting and enduring peace so that their efforts shall not have been in vain. I also direct the appropriate officials of the Government to arrange for the display of the flag of the United States on all public buildings on Veterans Day.

In order to insure proper and widespread observance of this anniversary, all veterans, veterans’ organizations, and the entire citizenry will wish to join hands in the common purpose. Toward this end, I am designating the Administrator of Veterans’ Affairs as Chairman of a Veterans Day National Committee, which shall include such other persons as the Chairman may select, and which will coordinate at the national level necessary planning for the observance. I am also requesting the heads of all departments and agencies of the Executive branch of the Government to assist the National Committee in every way possible.

IN WITNESS THEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and cause the Seal of the United States of America to be affixed.

DONE at the City of Washington this eighth day of October in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and [SEAL] fifty-four, and of the Independence of the United States of America the one hundred and seventy-ninth.

Guess I better get in before the Anti-U.S. military dickheads decide to wake up and ruin this post.

Thanks Greymane

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it appropriate to say happy? I'm not American, we don't really address it as such over here.

Happy veterans day brave ones

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Happy vets day soldiers. Enjoy your prestige at bars that makes you more inclined to get bitches this weekend.

Also, in b4 anti-military circle jerk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks brah. My time served was short, but I got to learn and experience some cool shit. Don't forget fellow soldiers, current and former, free Applebee's today!

Happy veterans day to my brothers and sisters. And you too Tony.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Guess I better get in before the Anti-U.S. military dickheads decide to wake up and ruin this post.

Thanks Greymane
    Well, yous guys did mow down my people.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Happy vets day soldiers. Enjoy your prestige at bars that makes you more inclined to get bitches this weekend.

Also, in b4 anti-military circle jerk.
    We don't need veterans day for that :P
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    As a veteran I still think the day is silly. Majority of it is people thanking pogs, who did jack crap for the most part, but try and tell themselves they did a valuable service while civilians did most of their job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

Quote Originally Posted by theostrichsays View Post
    As a veteran I still think the day is silly. Majority of it is people thanking pogs, who did jack crap for the most part, but try and tell themselves they did a valuable service while civilians did most of their job.
    Do you go around saying "You play Call of Duty, I lived it"? I can see you doing that.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    Do you go around saying "You play Call of Duty, I lived it"? I can see you doing that.
    No I don't. I don't even wear my CIB hat, anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is it normal for americans to say "Happy Veterans Day"?

In Canada (and I assume the rest of the commonwealth) Remembrance Day isn't meant to be a happy day, it's meant to reflect on the past and remember the atrocities of war/those who died in it.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post

In Canada (and I assume the rest of the commonwealth) Remembrance Day isn't meant to be a happy day, it's meant to reflect on the past and remember the atrocities of war/those who died in it.
    We have memorial day for that too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post

We have memorial day for that too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Is it appropriate to say happy? I'm not American, we don't really address it as such over here.
    Yeah, it is a bit odd to us. Poppy Day (today), is a remembrance of those who have fallen, not regarded as being a happy event.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Yeah, it is a bit odd to us. Poppy Day (today), is a remembrance of those who have fallen, not regarded as being a happy event.
    Its more happy for those alive and in remembrance for those who either died in the wars, or served and died later on.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks Genn. I appreciate you hardcore.
    Protect the weak. Punish the wicked.
    If you have something bad to say about Blizz, come at me bro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Its more happy for those alive and in remembrance for those who either died in the wars, or served and died later on.
    As I said, to us is seems odd as today is a solemn occasion, not a celebratory one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    As I said, to us is seems odd as today is a solemn occasion, not a celebratory one.
    We also have memorial day. Its basically the same thing.

Basically both days are celebratory and seldom. It is weird, but it works pretty well actually. You celebrate the ones alive, but remember those who are not.

Deleted
    You Americans seem odd....

Here in the UK the 11hour is rememberence, literally the entire nation comes to a stop for two minutes in solemn rememberence of our fallen.

"Happy Veterans Day".... What?