Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I don't think tips should ever be forbidden. If a server truly goes above and beyond, why can't I show them my appreciation for that?
    Why dont you tip everybody for being nice and going above and beyond.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    While it is a "chain", it is not going to help much until more chains start to do it.
    If it works out well, it might end up catching on. As it stands, good on Joe's; this is how you work to change tipping culture here in the US. It's gotta start somewhere.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    Why dont you tip everybody for being nice and going above and beyond.
    I wish my clients tipped me. Especially if it was on a percentage of what they pay us yearly. I would be rich!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    If it works out well, it might end up catching on. As it stands, good on Joe's; this is how you work to change tipping culture here in the US. It's gotta start somewhere.
    Exactly! And to be the company on the forefront of the change is pretty neat.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamperica View Post
    I welcome the change, but I am sure my mid 30s high school friends crowd that still waitress will QQ as much as they tip shammed if this ever became universal.
    That is a sad truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post

As a matter of fact, being a server can teach people great social skills they can carry with them throughout their lives. I really think it should be required for teens to spend a year of their lives as a server. There are great professional skills, and social skills to be learned in the field.
    And it would make people less rude to servers later on in their life!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Druover View Post
    And it would make people less rude to servers later on in their life!
    I would like to think so too.

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    Exactly this.

There are wide swathes of barren periods where you don't get that much custom or happen to wait on people who don't tip or think 50 cents on a 50 dollar bill is reasonable.

There is a common misconception that if you put in the effort and give good service, you will make good money. It's simply not true. While there are some places that are consistently busy and the waitstaff can make a killing, for most it's a pretty low paying job that often has you standing around earning $2 an hour.

The norm is well, well below what people think it is, particularly for those who are not in fine dining or at a busy chain.
    This just can't be true. Anywhere I've worked or anyone i've known who works at a restaurant, makes good money. And every resteratunt will send servers home if theres not enough business. If this occurs perpetually, the restaurant will probably not last. But if, for most its only standing around making $2/hr, I really dont think there would be many servers. However, its a pretty sought after job, much better than working for a constant wage at McDonalds or something like that (talking about for non-degreed people). Its like that because the wages from being a server are actually pretty good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkpoison324 View Post
    Its about damn time someone takes a step towards this.

Why should i ever tip you for you doing your *JOB*
    Exactly. I should tip you for going above and beyond, not for just doing what is expected.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Exactly. I should tip you for going above and beyond, not for just doing what is expected.
    I like the idea that a portion of the overall cost of my meal is variable, that I get to decide dependent on the quality of the service. I dont understand why people take issue with this, especially when servers make more this way usually anyways.

I worked in the food service industry from 16 through college. I cant stand idiots who give bad service and I tip poorly or not at all when it happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Druover View Post
    I like the idea that a portion of the overall cost of my meal is variable, that I get to decide dependent on the quality of the service. I dont understand why people take issue with this, especially when servers make more this way usually anyways.
    Because of Tip Shaming. If you don't tip what the server expects, they can be resentful.

- - - Updated - - -

In this episode of Adam Ruins Everything, he discusses tipping culture. Check it out. It is pretty informative, and answers questions from both sides of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Because of Tip Shaming. If you don't tip what the server expects, they can be resentful.
    This sounds like something they'd be protesting at a university right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamperica View Post
    Tip shamming is the number one reason why I cut back and rarely go out to a restaurant to eat now.
    It is one of the reasons for me too. My main reason is absolutely hating the sight and sound of people eating.

7+ Year Old Account
    Can we start tipping the cooks?? People who actually do the work in the restaurant. By tip I mean a small bonus for their hard work. If you have ever worked in a busy restaurant as a cook in any regards you will understand that on weekends it can turn in a hellzone very quickly. Meanwhile the wait staff stand around and complain that they are getting crappy tips while also bad mouthing the customers.
    Part of my post is sarcastic, Ill let you all decide which it is

Another issue with tipping is that service expectations aren't always consistent from one restaurant to another. I can go to one place and pretty much all I need is my water refilled once and... that's about it. At another place the server can do all sorts of stuff that improves my experience. It feels silly to give both of them 20% tips, or at most one of them 20 and the other 15.

I would welcome standardized prices/no tipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkpoison324 View Post
    Its about damn time someone takes a step towards this.

Why should i ever tip you for you doing your *JOB*
    for quality man, apparently people can only do a good job if people hand them cash, I should start asking my boss for tips every time I complete a project.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Can we start tipping the cooks?? People who actually do the work in the restaurant. By tip I mean a small bonus for their hard work. If you have ever worked in a busy restaurant as a cook in any regards you will understand that on weekends it can turn in a hellzone very quickly. Meanwhile the wait staff stand around and complain that they are getting crappy tips while also bad mouthing the customers.
    Part of my post is sarcastic, Ill let you all decide which it is
    Yeah I mentioned how I care much more about the person making my food than someone who brings it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi256 View Post
    Did they give you a rationale? I could see in certain situations how tips might possibly be construed as compromising some sort of work ethic. In general, though, I'm surprised. In fact my initial impression is to question if it's even legal (I'm sure it is, but I'd be interested in the legal rationale as well).

The Tax Law is the legal rationale since they have to be reported.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

Deleted
    I can't even imagine going to a restaurant called "Joe's Crab Shack"...

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Sadly, the nearest location is in Aurora Colorado, too far to drive, much as I'd love to support them.

But still, I'll happily pay what is essentially a mandatory tip about on my meal if it means employees are making $14/hr minimum.
    14 an hour is a very liveable wage. I did it on 10 an hour a few years ago
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I can't even imagine going to a restaurant called "Joe's Crab Shack"...
    It's delicious, they are like the TGIF's of seafood and yes they make fun of themselves, you can buy Tshirts that say "I got crabs and Joes"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    14 an hour is a very liveable wage. I did it on 10 an hour a few years ago
    Depends where you are living. Where I live, yes, in NYC, no