Thread: Worth $1250?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Okay, now I'm confused.

1) Are they BUYING you a computer, or GIVING you one? You made it sound like they had an extra or something and wanted to sell it to you. If you have a choice of parts, there are different things to choose

2) That setup is pretty meh as well for the price. I would not recommend it. Again, you can get better and/or cheaper.

3) Since this is sounding like a build setup at this point, gonna move it to the appropriate forum.

close the thread

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodo View Post
    Also, what the post above me said.
    Your two posts contradict each other a bit... The first one, you never mention the flaws of it being an AMD setup and that would struggle with WoW... you said:

Quote Originally Posted by Voodo View Post
    Yes it will run ANY Blizzard game on ultra. But it's overkill. You can get a computer that runs any Blizzard game on ultra for less than half that price. Also, for AAA gaming in general it has too much memory and it could have a better video card instead.

If you are interested in games as your major use for the computer, I would not say that is a good deal. I can't tell if that the price is fair or not, I would have to check out every part individually and see if it adds up to $1250.

EDIT: Just saw it has peripherals. Disregard what I said about "getting the job done for less than half the price". You could still do it for hundreds less though, assuming Blizzard games is all you care about.
    I'd beg for consistency. :P It'll save people stress and confusion, as the OP is now confused.

@OP, I am putting my backing behind what Lathais, chazus, said, the build that Artorius shared would be solid. Though, I'd personally prefer seeing you get a Fractal Design Core 1000 or similar higher-quality case than the HAF 912. I've built in several HAF cases and I hate them.

Also, I'd personally go with a Western Digital HDD instead of a Seagate, but that's just me and my experiences with Seagate.

Otherwise I totally agree with Artorius' build.

@OP some more... your friend is BARELY cutting you a deal. This is that setup pieced out on pcpartpicker, if anything, he's pretty much charging you full price for the build itself but not charging you labor. If it's an actual business, he could probably shave off more of the cost with an employee discount. Idk, doesn't seem significant. You're saving less than $70 pretty much. The keyboard and mouse that will come with that build would be garbage.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($164.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($57.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.78 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($226.75 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($319.99 @ B&H)
    Case: Raidmax Atlas ATX-295WB ATX Mid Tower Case ($50.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Corsair 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($155.95 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($91.88 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1317.18
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-12 01:06 EST-0500

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reforge View Post
    Case 1 x AZZA Atlas Gaming Case - Black
    Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor (4x 4.0GHz/8MB L3 Cache) - Intel® Core™ i7-4790K
    Processor Cooling 1 x Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler - Standard 120mm Fan
    Memory 1 x 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-2133 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand
    Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 - 4GB [FREE Upgrade to ASUS TURBO] - Single Card
    Free Stuff 1 x [FREE] - 802.11AC Dual Band Wireless USB Adapter - FREE with iBUYPOWER Desktops
    Motherboard 1 x Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H -- - *FREE Upgrade to Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI -- 2x PCIe x16, 4x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0
    Power Supply 1 x 750 Watt - Corsair CX750M - 80 PLUS Bronze, Full Modular - *Free Upgrade to Corsair CX850M - 80 PLUS Bronze
    Primary Hard Drive 1 x 512 GB SanDisk X300 SSD -- Read: 530MB/s, Write: 470MB/s - Single Drive
    Data Hard Drive 1 x 3 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
    Optical Drive 1 x 24x Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW - Black -- Free Upgrade to 14X LG Blu-ray Re-writer
    Media Card Reader / Writer 1 x 12-In-1 Internal Media Card Reader/Writer - Black
    Sound Card 1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
    Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
    Operating System 1 x Windows 10 Home + Office 365 Trial [Free 30-Day !!!] - (64-bit) *Newest Microsoft Windows*
    Keyboard 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse
    Advanced Build Options 1 x Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis
    Advanced Build Options 1 x Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound - The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks
    Warranty 1 x 3 Year Standard Warranty Service

Going with the above for $1,299, thanks all!
    First time I've ever seen someone get an SSD aimed at businesses on here. But okay. O_o

https://www.sandisk.com/about/media-center/press-releases/2014/sandisk-introduces-high-performance,-low-power-solid-state-drive-for-corporate-environments

I hate the case and the PSU is kind of overkill, but whatever. You didn't exactly talk with us about your purchase at all, you kinda told us what you're getting and told chazus to lock the thread, so... okay.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    close the thread
    We usually don't close threads unless its detrimental or well.. 'needs' to be closed.

Not sure why you would ask for advice and then not take it. What is your situation, exactly?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I said no to the "deal" as many of you have eluded to it being hardly that. Am buying all the parts to the aforementioned build... going to have a friend help me build it at home...

10+ Year Old Account
    I said no to the "deal" as many of you have eluded to it being hardly that. Am buying all the parts to the aforementioned build... going to have a friend help me build it at home...
    Did you want our opinions on that or are you just posting it to tell us what you're buying? O_o
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Did you want our opinions on that or are you just posting it to tell us what you're buying? O_o
    I did want opinions but it seems like there's a degree of animosity here I don't know what I did to piss you guys off and I apologize if i was unclear with my motives (i'm clearly a fucking noob when it comes to this techy stuff)

I think I am set on the build i posted, hopefully it can last me 2-3 years without needing replacement

10+ Year Old Account
    Following these instructions kinda helps. :P

Include the following information when posting a request.

• Budget
    • Resolution
    • Games / Settings Desired
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    • Country
    • Parts that can be reused
    • Do you need an OS?
    • Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

Ideally include a list of parts, we see the same request almost every day. There are other topics that have parts lists that you can copy and modify.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-build-Read-me!

Your build should last though, we just rather like being told what's up.

Frankly I don't think anyone is mad at you, however I was a little annoyed with the guy giving you false information and contradicting himself with 5 posts in the thread. XD
    "A flower.

I did want opinions but it seems like there's a degree of animosity here I don't know what I did to piss you guys off and I apologize if i was unclear with my motives (i'm clearly a fucking noob when it comes to this techy stuff)

I think I am set on the build i posted, hopefully it can last me 2-3 years without needing replacement
    For my 2 cents, techies can get very passionate, try not to take it personally, let them know what you are thinking and you'll notice the more knowledgeable ones reach consensus.

Also - if at all possible, wait 2 weeks. Put the order together on Black Friday and you'll save big $$, especially if you can be flexible on the exact specifics on each device.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    For my 2 cents, techies can get very passionate, try not to take it personally, let them know what you are thinking and you'll notice the more knowledgeable ones reach consensus.

Also - if at all possible, wait 2 weeks. Put the order together on Black Friday and you'll save big $$, especially if you can be flexible on the exact specifics on each device.
    Thanks appreciate the advice. I'll take it.

ok, so looks like you are going for:

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Veter...l-Z97/W/274696

I tried to match up your options from above and got:

Case 1 x AZZA Atlas Gaming Case-Black
    Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor (4x 4.0GHz/8MB L3 Cache)-Intel® Core™ i7-4790K
    Motherboard 1 x Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ---*FREE Upgrade to Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI -- 2x PCIe x16, 4x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0
    Memory 1 x 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-2133 Memory Module-Corsair or Major Brand
    Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 - 4GB [FREE Upgrade to ASUS TURBO]-Single Card
    Power Supply 1 x 750 Watt - Corsair RM750 - 80 PLUS Gold
    Processor Cooling 1 x Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler-Standard 120mm Fan
    Primary Hard Drive 1 x 512 GB SanDisk X300 SSD -- Read: 530MB/s, Write: 470MB/s-Single Drive
    Data Hard Drive 1 x 3 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s-Single Drive
    Optical Drive 1 x 24x Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW-Black -- Free Upgrade to 14X LG Blu-ray Re-writer
    Sound Card 1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
    Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
    Keyboard 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse
    Operating System 1 x Windows 10 Home + Office 365 Trial [Free 30-Day !!!]-(64-bit) *Newest Microsoft Windows*
    Warranty 1 x 3 Year Standard Warranty Service
    Rush Service 1 x No Rush Service (Usually Ships in 5-10 business Days)
    Advanced Build Options 1 x Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower-Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis
    Advanced Build Options 1 x Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound-The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks
    Free Stuff 1 x [FREE] - 802.11AC Dual Band Wireless USB Adapter-FREE with iBUYPOWER Desktops
    Subtotal $1,728.00

So if you are getting that for $1,300, that's a great deal over what the website is offering, though as folks said, if you build it yourself (ie. look for comparable items and purchase individually) you will get an even better deal.

*also, you could still knock off a couple hundred $$ easily without much impact to performance with an SSHD drive and a 550W PSU.
    Last edited by Ragedaug; 2015-11-12 at 07:43 AM.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    ok, so looks like you are going for:

So if you are getting that for $1,300, that's a great deal over what the website is offering, though as folks said, if you build it yourself (ie. look for comparable items and purchase individually) you will get an even better deal.

*also, you could still knock off a couple hundred easily without much fallout in performance with an HSD drive and a 550W PSU.
    Ugh, let's pass on that fiasco. :P

If anything, he'll save a good chunk just by waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals. Good idea bringing that up above!
    "A flower.

Ugh, let's pass on that fiasco. :P

If anything, he'll save a good chunk just by waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals. Good idea bringing that up above!
    I completely agree. I'm guessing that's the OP's source. I was just matching up his options and generating a link.

*sorry, may have misunderstood your comment (slow to see HSD in bold). I hadn't seen much negative comments about HSD drives, mostly very positive, though I admit I've never used one myself. - - Also, completely messed up that accronym. I won't admit to what I was thinking it stood for. Meant - SSHD drive.
    Last edited by Ragedaug; 2015-11-12 at 07:43 AM.

~ Daryl Davis

10+ Year Old Account
    Hybrid-state drive? :P

Yeah, SSHDs are neat in theory, but I'd say nowadays, if you have the money for a dedicated SSD and dedicated HDD, which the OP has for sure, then SSHDs are pointless.
    "A flower.

Hybrid-state drive? :P

Yeah, SSHDs are neat in theory, but I'd say nowadays, if you have the money for a dedicated SSD and dedicated HDD, which the OP has for sure, then SSHDs are pointless.
    That's good to know. In that case I have no SSD replacement suggestion seeing as how the "512GB SanDisk X300 SSD + 3TB 7200RPM Hard Drive" combo is $100 instant off. It's only $60 more than the 256GB SSD+HDD combo.

~ Daryl Davis

10+ Year Old Account
    I can only hope that SanDisk is good, I've never cared for their products, personally.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't buy, nor sell, Sandisk. It's just lower quality stuff for no benefit. They aren't even really cheaper.

I've heard nothing good about SSHD drives, except for "It sounds neat on paper". As far as Im aware, they basically take the good aspects of SSD's and remove a lot of it, and have a -sigificantly- smaller lifespan, due to the small cache they use. The entire 'SSDs last forever' concept is due almost entirely to their massive size. The smaller the drive, the shorter its life.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah personally I'd rather see the OP get a Crucial, Samsung, or Intel SSD than anything else.

SSHDs I'd say are for a painfully tiny segment of the population, but even still, I don't think it's worth it. Better off just buying an SSD to start then and using that until you can go buy an HDD...
    "A flower.

Deleted
    The corsair are not bad either. My brother got the ForceGT (red) for 4years now and its rock solid. I got the neutron gtx since it came out (2years?) same thing. Too bad they are more expensive than competition.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll admit DD, it's been 3 years or so that I last had to build a computer. I knew that case by it's name since it's a very old case, everything would fit inside and since the price was fairly cheap... I just put it =p

But I have no idea which the current case recommendations are, so if there's something better for a good price don't let him buy the HAF one D:

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind, I just saw that he said he's going to buy a 4790K build. Which I don't understand why, but well...

OP I really think you need to take a look at my previous link. You don't need an i7 and 16GB of ram for blizzard games. And the sandisk...