Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Bodybuilder spared jail after beating up girlfriend despite "appalling record"

Somehow the guilty go free.

A BODYBUILDER with a history of violence against women has been ordered to attend a 'building better relationships' course after battering his partner.

Mark Pelz, 41, has been spared jail after he attempted to strangle his 26-year-old girlfriend and punched her in the face following an argument over a Facebook post in April 2013. When she fought back, the father-of-three threw her to the floor and struck her face again with his knee.

It was the latest of a series of convictions for violence offences held by Pelz, dating back as far as 1989, which included a racist assault on a female soldier where he punched her three times in the face.

Sentencing at Bournemouth Crown Court, Judge Jonathan Fuller QC said the defendant had an "appalling record for violence" and described the case as "disgraceful".

However, he proposed to take "what some might say is a lenient approach" and suspended Pelz's 24 month jail term for two years.

He was ordered to attend the building better relationships and alcohol treatment courses and to undergo probation supervision for two years.

Judge Fuller said: "You have got a chance, it is up to you what you do with it."

Pelz, of Solstice Rise, Amesbury, Wiltshire, admitted one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm in relation to the incident in 2013, which occurred in Salisbury.

He also admitted common assault on the same woman, which occurred at their home in Ascham Road, Bournemouth, on June 18 last year.

The first incident occurred after a man commented on a photo of Pelz and his victim, Gemma Carr, on Facebook.

Prosecutor Janice Brennan said "controlling" Pelz had then demanded the man's phone number, called him, and became angry when that man described him as a "bully". It was then he launched his violent assault, leaving Miss Carr with a clinical fracture to her nose.
    Promoted stories

However the victim, who now lives elsewhere under a different name, was "vulnerable" and "dependent", the prosecutor said, and told police she didn't want Pelz to go to prison. He told officers that she had struck him first.

During the second incident, in which a neighbour alerted police after hearing "shouting and screaming", Pelz left his victim with bruising on her arms. At around the same time he set images of the notoriously violent criminal Charles Bronson, now Charles Salvador, as his Facebook profile picture.

The court heard Pelz's record included counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm in 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1997 and 2000, common assault in 1994, 1996, 1997, 2002, and 2005, threatening behaviour in 1995, 1997, 2008 and 2012, causing grievous bodily harm in 1997 - an assault which fractured the victim's eye socket - and causing grievous bodily harm with intent - the attack on the soldier mentioned above.
    http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/13929031.display/

This is unacceptable. What does this man have to do to actually get some serious prison time?
    He's clearly had multiple chances.
    Him viciously assaulting his gf has to be the last straw.

Is this type of sentencing the norm in the UK?
    What can be done to protect our women from abusive men like this?

Roid rage, imo. 30 char rule

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I think the judge deserves some time in jail too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    She hit first lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    No, it's not.
    Probably not a whole lot more than is already being done.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    She hit first lol
    Uhh she attempted to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is unacceptable. What does this man have to do to actually get some serious prison time?
    He's clearly had multiple chances.
    Him viciously assaulting his gf has to be the last straw.

He's a danger to the public, not sure why the judge was lenient considering his previous and I'm not sure why you think the genitals of the victim have anything to do with it either.

Hes referring to the first incident where she said that to save him from prosecution because she is dependent on him.

Deleted
    Hitting first is not fighting back .....
    " He told officers that she had struck him first."

Two medals of that coin she picked a fight she couldn't win.

That's just play, women like tough love.

I kid I kid

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Hitting first is not fighting back .....
    " He told officers that she had struck him first."

Two medals of that coin she picked a fight she couldn't win.
    " spared jail after he attempted to strangle his 26-year-old girlfriend and punched her in the face following an argument over a Facebook post in April 2013. When she fought back, the father-of-three threw her to the floor and struck her face again with his knee."

10+ Year Old Account
    Kind of reminds me of a story I read on YOUTUBE of all places of some marine beating the shit out of his girlfriend or some shit, and the judge doing something similar. But anyways OT yeah, this is pretty fucked up, and my heart goes out to the woman.

But the question also is what to do, and by "What to do" I mean the specific situation, because in domestic abuse sometimes you do circumstances where the woman in the relationship still chooses to love and be with the abuser, meaning that despite said individuals past, they still choose the relationship.

I mean personally, I am ok with the standard that the state steps in automatically, but I have to admit there are some pretty fucked up relationships where people know what they are in and accept it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I didn't think prior convictions were allowed to be mentioned in cases - that they be judged on the merits of the case, not the history of the defendant?

Could it simply be the judge wasn't allowed to be aware of the previous assaults?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    But is she still in a relationship with him? Cause that's always what strikes me odd about women beaten by men, they always stay in the relationship.

10+ Year Old Account
    " spared jail after he attempted to strangle his 26-year-old girlfriend and punched her in the face following an argument over a Facebook post in April 2013. When she fought back, the father-of-three threw her to the floor and struck her face again with his knee."
    Yeah, but then there is this!

"However the victim, who now lives elsewhere under a different name, was "vulnerable" and "dependent", the prosecutor said, and told police she didn't want Pelz to go to prison. He told officers that she had struck him first."

Which in the end has a LARGE chunk to do with whats happening with him, if she is dependent on him, and she chooses not cooperate then what?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I didn't think prior convictions were allowed to be mentioned in cases - that they be judged on the merits of the case, not the history of the defendant?

Could it simply be the judge wasn't allowed to be aware of the previous assaults?
    I'm pretty sure that prior convictions are taken into account when sentencing, but aren't known until after the decision on guilty or not guilty has been reached.

Judges often are lenient on first time offenders, which wouldn't make sense if the judge didn't know if it was a first offence.

His tattoo necklace says it all

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I'm pretty sure that prior convictions are taken into account when sentencing, but aren't known until after the decision on guilty or not guilty has been reached.

Judges often are lenient on first time offenders, which wouldn't make sense if the judge didn't know if it was a first offence.
    Cool, as I started typing it I realised it was another case of "You're just wrong about this but I'm sure someone will be kind enough to point it out"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Kind of reminds me of a story I read on YOUTUBE of all places of some marine beating the shit out of his girlfriend or some shit, and the judge doing something similar. But anyways OT yeah, this is pretty fucked up, and my heart goes out to the woman.

But the question also is what to do, and by "What to do" I mean the specific situation, because in domestic abuse sometimes you do circumstances where the woman in the relationship still chooses to love and be with the abuser, meaning that despite said individuals past, they still choose the relationship.

I mean personally, I am ok with the standard that the state steps in automatically, but I have to admit there are some pretty fucked up relationships where people know what they are in and accept it.
    Yeah, some women know they're being abused and still stay.

Have to make sure there are ways out for them in the form of shelters, counseling, rehabilitation etc.

Deleted
    Wow, just wow. Now, I am a big hater of alot of all this feminist shit that gets spouted about at the moment, but even I know that they are not OURS.