Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

French father explains Paris attacks to young son on TV

Well worth watching - it may brighten your day:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb_5QlLQQH8

A father and son have the most precious conversation during an interview by french media (Le Petit Journal sur Canal+) at the scene of the Bataclan attacks. I saw that it hadn't been subtitled in english yet, so I made a quick edit to share awesome with the world.

All images belong to Le Petit Journal / Canal +
    That's one way to get a Father of the Year nomination (and the son is sharp too)!
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2015-11-17 at 03:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there a reason we have one thread for Migrants but like 10 for the Paris attacks? I mean cmon now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Is there a reason we have one thread for Migrants but like 10 for the Paris attacks? I mean cmon now.
    It's newer and will probably be restricted to one thread eventually.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's only so many ways you can say "I hate all brown people" or "I love all brown people" until it starts to become very repetitive. Support and condolences after the attack in France seem much more personal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    There's only so many ways you can say "I hate all brown people" or "I love all brown people" until it starts to become very repetitive. Support and condolences after the attack in France seem much more personal.
    And yet... much of the Paris discussion still boils down to "I hate all brown people". Weird.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post

That's one way to get a Father of the Year nomination (and the son is sharp too)!
    I get what the father is trying to do....but the kid kind of knew how dark the world can be and lying to him saying we will fight gunfire with flowers is...not going to work out in the long run.

I know you're new but do you not remember before the megathread where we had plenty more than 10 threads about migrants. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowspire View Post
    I get what the father is trying to do....but the kid kind of knew how dark the world can be and lying to him saying we will fight gunfire with flowers is...not going to work out in the long run.
    The world is still a much safer place than it was 50 years ago. To tell a child that is now more dangerous than it has ever been before is either malicious or naive. The father is correct, bad people are everywhere, but moving from their home is silly for the simple reason that they are unlikely to be directly affected by an attack other than through the inconvenience of the traffic it would create. This entire situation was horrible, but you're still three times more likely to be killed in a bathtub in a given year than from a terrorist attack.

15+ Year Old Account
    The kid demonstrated he understands metaphor - it's likely that when he reflects on the exchange he'll understand that flowers and candles are a metaphorical bulwark.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    Except it is not lying. That's the whole point!

An entire nation that remembers and honors their people, their sacrifice, and most importantly their values is far more powerful than handfuls of random terrorists and violence. Everything starts from a core belief of hope in oneself and those around you.

When you are very young, it is these lifelong beliefs that you mould everything ELSE around, including the character of the individual, their behavior and actions.

What would be more valuable at that age? Explaining the nuances of foreign policy, French cultural and societal fragmentation, EU border and arms control issues, lack of boots-on-the-ground intelligence from within certain communities, alleged communications on illicit activities over PS4/video games, etc. etc. OR explaining why not to be afraid and the source of strength for oneself and those around you.

Which of the responses above do you think the child would even remember? Which would be a "core memory"?

Why am I having to even explain such a basic concept to you?

Yes, that kind of response to such a young child does work out precisely in the "long run".
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2015-11-17 at 04:26 PM.

Cute kid, speaking French, hard to go wrong with that. 30 characters rule

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Great father, thanks for the video.

7+ Year Old Account
    Reminds me of when the 9/11 attacks happened when I was 6. I remember asking my parents if the devil was taking over the world. I don't remember their response, but I do remember that very clearly, and probably will for the rest of my life.

Cute kid, good dad for trying to make him feel better and explaining the situation in a way in which the kid understands.
    You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of Humanity in your hearts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What exactly was the bet I made with the Klingon sex workers?

I hope someone doesn't sig this post...

Probably because the aftermath is broken down by different responses and actions going on about subject. To talk about it all in one thread would be confusing

Aww, I thought it was a cute conversation. I could imagine something like that if there was a tragedy and I had to explain it to my 3 year old.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there a reason why we don't have one megathread of all your shit threads?

OP: Great father
    Last edited by Torched; 2015-11-17 at 05:11 PM.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post

Staged feel-good liberal bullshit "they have guns, we have flowers". Honestly I want to puke at how obviously staged this was.
    Let's make America GREAT again. Trump 2016.

The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovecrafts View Post
    Staged feel-good liberal bullshit "they have guns, we have flowers". Honestly I want to puke at how obviously staged this was.
    Good luck getting your toddler to stage his questions and explanations.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Good luck getting your toddler to stage his questions and explanations.
    Only liberals have kids. Conservatives hate children and would never associate with them. Man has a son, obviously this is liberal propaganda.

15+ Year Old Account
    I must not be the only one who thinks telling your son "flowers protect from guns" is not a good way to raise your kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.