Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Are there THAT many cheaters in Arenas?

Just a simple answer would be nice. I've been trying to get back into the PvP scene only to see endless discussion of Ferals, kickbotting, wintraders, scripts, DDOS, and so on. It really puts a negative feeling in my gut and makes me wonder if it's worth playing right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    you would only encounter such things with a rating or mmr of 1900+

no there aren't that many, people think ppl are cheating because they either get lucky or are just good. sad truth is it takes zero effort to play half the classes so half the time ppl are just getting super lucky ex: when they kick the right thing cause theres nothing else to kick

Deleted
    I ran into confirmed kickbot cheaters 2 times. They kicked instantly the split second I started casting. Because that made it predictable, I was able to trick it by starting a cast and instantly stopping it before I could even see the cast starting. That gave me a ~80% success rate of fake casting (sometimes he kicked it anyways). Ran into something like that twice, and in both cases it was 100% obvious because it would kick instantly each and every time (over 20x in a row).

On someone's stream, I saw a flyhack. That was a year ago.

Generally speaking I don't believe there's all that many cheaters around, but there are some kickbots unfortunately.

Win trading and kicking offline should only be problems at the highest ratings, but yes auto interrupts and rotation bots are pretty common.

When I get interrupted literally within 0.1s after casting I know something dodgy is going on... especially when they're channelling or casting spells that is immediately cancelled to interrupt that absolute split moment I start to cast...

In my experience, it's pretty common once you push past 2k. At least one in three games with a kick bot on the other team. Given, I haven't played seriously in a while. PvP scene seems like a real shit show.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, absolutely. In fact it is rarer to find people that don't hack than hack. Kickbots are the most common and in RBGs you've got DDOS on top of it. Australian servers are the most absolutely hack-filled things you can possibly imagine. You will have all kinds of bullshit going on. People completely immune to CC, people with no CD on their abilities, hell my favourite was being counterspelled while in a bubble.

Hacking is not only common but I suspect mandatory in the last couple of seasons. It was extremely rare before MoP but it got bad then and appallingly blatant in Warlords. I remember being kicked from RBG groups for not having hacks.

I've found that the PVP community who used to insist that there were no hacks and it was "just skill" all got banned for hacking during the last big ban wave. Not shocked and insisting that hacking doesn't exist or is rare is a sure sign of someone hacking themselves.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanquished View Post
    no there aren't that many, people think ppl are cheating because they either get lucky or are just good. sad truth is it takes zero effort to play half the classes so half the time ppl are just getting super lucky ex: when they kick the right thing cause theres nothing else to kick
    Yeah then please explain the overly huge amount of players who are focusing on one target and auto-interrupting the other the 0.01 sec he starts casting?

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    You will have all kinds of bullshit going on. People completely immune to CC, people with no CD on their abilities, hell my favourite was being counterspelled while in a bubble.
    How are people going to hack conditions that are enforced by the server?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTripleZero View Post
    You tell me.

http://www.twitch.tv/minpojke/v/17590930

- - - Updated - - -

Though I've seen high-rating PVPers streaming on Twitch often, and generally they hardly ever run into kickbots. The "one in three" is something I absolutely didn't see in the streams I watched, not even "one in twenty". I can't even recall seeing a kickbot in a stream, to be honest. Just the two I ran into myself, but that's having played >100 games.

So just because a lot of people cheat and get away with it, does that mean I shouldn't kickbot as well? Would I get in trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai
    So just because a lot of people cheat and get away with it, does that mean I shouldn't kickbot as well? Would I get in trouble?
    You shouldn't kickbot because kickbotting is scummy and ruins the point of the game. Whether you get caught is dependent on luck--a lot of players won't bother to report it and you can configure kickbots to kick at particular times in the cast so it seems more "realistic". The people who set it to instant kick are just asking to get reported.

Arenas are still worth it even with cheaters. Just report those you find and try to get concrete evidence (e.g. video). You can still win against cheaters too--so don't give up right away. As for the popularity of hacking--it is definitely more popular in RU and AUS (or at least, the vids that pop up tend to be from those realms). I doubt you'll see flyhacking much, that is just blatant and really really easy to report and record (even just a screenshot will do). As for win-trading, you'll mostly see that towards the end of the season, so until then--I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by karmlol
    You tell me.
    OneTripleZero was referring specifically to being immune/CDs. As far as I know, fly hacking is possible because Blizzard has the functionality there for debugging/developers (iirc, you can see it being used in some of the dev videos in Blizzcon! Not sure if that is just an editor or the actual game though :P). That API is probably somewhere within the executable or its dll's and the hacker can move the program counter there to access it (assuming he knows its address)--this way there is no memory writing and the warden won't detect it.

But things like cooldowns and immunities should be handled through the server. I don't know if it is possible to do what was said in that post. But idk, hackers will always find a way. ;-;

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saladfork View Post
    As far as I know, fly hacking is possible because Blizzard has the functionality there for debugging/developers (iirc, you can see it being used in some of the dev videos in Blizzcon! Not sure if that is just an editor or the actual game though :P). That API is probably somewhere within the executable or its dll's and the hacker can move the program counter there to access it (assuming he knows its address)--this way there is no memory writing and the warden won't detect it.
    Thanks for your in-depth reply, that's interesting to read
    I always figured that since your position in-game is server-side, any movement would have to at least be "verified" server-side as well. I didn't think of the developer's flying ability

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    I report any and all that I run into. If you feel that you should kickbot, I don't think arena is for you and you should probably consider playing another game.

I dont pvp mucht but cheating in a game is pathatic. Whats the point playing something and cant even do it fairly.

If you cant stand losing do not play.

But bet it give them statifaction of ruining it for everyone els.

Cheats should be pern banned, account, ip, mac adres, indevitual names.

So these scumbags can never ever return or make a new account.

I like steams way of dealing shit it, cought it perm on your account visible on your profile and every game use ther anti cheat your not welcome you can still play on non protected servers but that bount to be full of there kind. Now only should make people unable make a new account and this breed will die out. At least out of view of fair protected players

Can someone tell me why Add ons are allowed in rated pvp? I don't understand why they don't just make you disable all add ons when entering rated pvp.

Yea it would suck as a healer without your precious grid, but cheating in pvp should be the #1 concern of Blizzard...even before balance

Quote Originally Posted by morislayer View Post
    Can someone tell me why Add ons are allowed in rated pvp? I don't understand why they don't just make you disable all add ons when entering rated pvp.

Yea it would suck as a healer without your precious grid, but cheating in pvp should be the #1 concern of Blizzard...even before balance
    Because the wow ui isnt in my view good enough.
    It is sorely lacking in many areas, particularly in aura displays.
    Blizzard themselves said that the group finder was open to addons for better filtering/sorting.
    Plus there are preferences with icons vs bars etc.

Plus preventing addons would not stop botting/exploits.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2015-11-18 at 12:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by morislayer View Post

Because addons don't do anything the default ui doesn't besides give you all the information in a much clearer and efficient way.

Also the kick bots and warlock bots and the likes aren't addons, they're a background program running a script
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Quote Originally Posted by OneTripleZero View Post
    Some things that should logically be enforced by the server are actually done client-side because of latency issues. E.g. before cata GCD was actually tracked by the client and there was a simple memory hack that reduced your GCD from 1.5 to 1.0 second.