Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Agreed. And I say this as someone who only drinks bottled water because the tap water is garbage.
    I drink bottled water because i drink about 1 1/2 gallons a day and i take it with me. I can't find a filter while driving around to put a thermos or reusable water container to get more water, and most city water is not drinkable. I hand wash and dry all my dishes because if i don't , there is a white film on them left by the water. I certainly am not drinking from the city tap.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    This will never happen. People want convenience and you want to do away with convenience. Next you want to do away with Convenience stores.
    It's hardly inconvenient.

I mean, you used to get your milk delivered right to your door, and you'd leave the old bottles out on your doorstep and lord knows now with electronic payment you wouldn't even have to mail a damn cheque anymore, you'd just press a button on your smart phone to pay the milk man.

People just resist big changes as much as possible. They kick and scream and only allow small changes...and those small changes are what got us here. Bottles became plastic, and we stopped returning them for a nickle and now half the time people just toss them onto the boulevard when they're done.

And I mean honestly, carrying a water bottle around after it's empty for a little while takes about as much muscle power as it does to throw it on the ground. But again, in our evolution of "tiny changes" suddenly it has become taboo to be in possession of something that once made contact with your lips, directly, indirectly or through some tertiary form of contact.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't find a filter while driving around...
    Here you go, https://www.brita.com/water-bottles/
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    I deliver in a truck all day and drink 1-2 gallons of water, how many of those bottles you going to buy me?

10+ Year Old Account
    I deliver in a truck all day and drink 1-2 gallons of water, how many of those bottles you going to buy me?
    Then get one of the larger ones... not sure what the issue is.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

You can buy yourself as many as you'd like. That's how the free market works.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    It's hardly inconvenient.

I mean, you used to get your milk delivered right to your door, and you'd leave the old bottles out on your doorstep and lord knows now with electronic payment you wouldn't even have to mail a damn cheque anymore, you'd just press a button on your smart phone to pay the milk man.

People just resist big changes as much as possible. They kick and scream and only allow small changes...and those small changes are what got us here. Bottles became plastic, and we stopped returning them for a nickle and now half the time people just toss them onto the boulevard when they're done.

And I mean honestly, carrying a water bottle around after it's empty for a little while takes about as much muscle power as it does to throw it on the ground. But again, in our evolution of "tiny changes" suddenly it has become taboo to be in possession of something that once made contact with your lips, directly, indirectly or through some tertiary form of contact.
    You're making an entirely different point. What does convenience have to do with littering and recycling? There are recycling bins everywhere. Either you live in a trashy city or you just want to whine about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Those suck, I have one, the water comes out way too slow

Not from US but would love to see this to happen in Europe. Personally I prefer glass bottles over plastic and aluminium.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    You can buy yourself as many as you'd like. That's how the free market works.
    or you can buy them for me since you seem to think this is your way of making the world better. I will be happy to cart as many as those bottles around as you want to buy me. Don't forget to add in the filtration for my sinks. And you might want to get extra bottles because I tend to break things inside the truck on accident, or they may get lost. Feel free to ease your bleeding heart to buy me all of this. Or i can keep paying $6 a week for a case of water at Sam's club and throwing my bottles in the recycle bin on the side of my house each week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why won't someone clean up that massive plastic slick in the ocean? Seems like a lot of material to salvage and reuse.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Why won't someone clean up that massive plastic slick in the ocean? Seems like a lot of material to salvage and reuse.
    It's the size of texas.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a lot cheaper to just make new plastic than to use what's out there. Besides, you know how many boats you'd need to hold that much plastic?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

^ It's not actually a big continuous "slick" either. It's just an area of relatively high density. But you can't just shovel it out of there. It's sparse enough to make that a fools effort.

How about encouraging people to recycle instead?

It doesn't matter if it's plastic, paper, glass or aluminum. If peopl don't want to recycle they'll just throw it away anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    It's the size of texas.
    Even more to salvage. Glass, plastic, and evep pulped paper can be a gold mine if there is enough to resell. If it is the size of texas, one could almost build a factory right in the middle of it and still make money.

It's too expensive and there is none who would be ready to use that much money. And many think that in future it will be easier to resolve.
    And I am not sure if that would be economically viable to salvage all that. You would need countless ships to gather it all. It would cost billions if not trillion to get it done. And in the end it's cheaper to make new plastic then reuse one from oceans.

Deleted
    Even more to salvage. Glass, plastic, and evep pulped paper can be a gold mine if there is enough to resell. If it is the size of texas, one could almost build a factory right in the middle of it and still make money.
    Its all in the ecological food chain you can't simply harvest it.

He seriously expects to eliminate all waste going to landfills by 2020? LOL...that dumbass must be smoking some incredibly potent weed I he seriously thinks that will ever happen. Naive hippies man...they never stop being unintentionally hilarious. I'm willing to bet this ban gets reversed in pretty short order.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Am I going to be getting Coke in a paper milk carton when I go to SF?
    Unfortunately due to what is in your coke, I'm afraid the paper would just dissolve.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__