Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lore that Blizz pulled out of their ass

but you actually like.

For me, it's the draenei, and all the manari eredar stuff. I was among those who hated the retcon when it was first announced (that Warcraft 3 manual was GOSPEL to me), but the implementation of the draenei in TBC was great.

I wish we had more interactive content regarding draenei.

Quote Originally Posted by empyrean View Post
    but you actually like.

For me, it's the draenei, and all the manari eredar stuff. I was among those who hated the retcon when it was first announced (that Warcraft 3 manual was GOSPEL to me), but the implementation of the draenei in TBC was great.

I wish we had more interactive content regarding draenei.
    Warcraft 3 was one big retcon of the entire Warcraft Universe up to that point.

Well Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans was supposed to be the big retcon, but that got scrapped and they turned WC3 into the retcon.

They wrote the retcons into the battle.net edition manuals and it's really hard to find copies of the pre battle.net edition manuals for Warcraft 2, but yeah...

The entire story as we experience now is a retcon.

Is it necessarily a bad thing? No, because I think the story is better the way it is now.

In the original story Medivh pretty much accidentally opened the dark portal while he was asleep, because that's what angsty teen sorcerers do.

Technically they pulled all of it out of their asses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Under a bridge, some ware in the Badlands.
    Hay, whats that behind your ear? Oh look at that, its an entire expansion!

OT: I liked some of the stuff from MoP, the new stuff, like the Thunder king.
    Quote Originally Posted by pokcmvmxckm View Post
    Sylvanas has returned from the Maw her work complete. She has decided to live as a stay at home Mom with Nathanos at Windrunner Tower in the Ghostlands. Note; she is not a Mother, and Nathanos is a rock with a smiley face drawn in sharpie. Many people are concerned about her current mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Yes. It's insane how selective people get with their judgement in this regard. The lore would be simplistic shit if they never developed, built on, or retconned a lot of it. This topic makes my eye twitch with blood vessel ticks.

This issue is just hijacked and exploited by people with an axe to grind with lore they favor or do not favor. It's a bullshit strawman for the most part in something so subjective.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Blizzard created everything. So they can pull what ever they want out of their asses! <3

Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    Blizzard created everything. So they can pull what ever they want out of their asses! <3
    They admittedly copied the fantasy archetypes from Tolkein...and then the old god stuff comes from Lovecraft.

So they didn't "Create" everything per say.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    People love to lump the stuff they don't like in with fake lore and skip over the fact they created all of it and have to continue doing so to keep games rolling.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

You mean as a story gets bigger with more charters and stuff it changes?
    No say it ain't so.
    That never happens in stories anywhere never.
    Obviously never read a comic book in your life because last I checked Thor is now a girl and captain America is back, oh and Spider-Man is Latino mix right?

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    They admittedly copied the fantasy archetypes from Tolkein...and then the old god stuff comes from Lovecraft.

True, they had artistic help from other sources. But within the template of "Blizzard" lore, they can pull anything out of their asses, and it will still be legit as fuck :P.

Illidan.

Does anybody stay dead in this game?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post

Everyone copies off someone else in some regard. Not worth mentioning imo

Quote Originally Posted by Vaximillian View Post
    Illidan.

Does anybody stay dead in this game?
    Blame the community for that one. Illidan's return was begged for by the fans for years, have you not seen any of the Blizzcons? "When is Illidan coming back" followed by everyone cheering was usually how Q&A went. But to be honest, Illidan is one of few character that actually made sense to bring back.

Could you imagine the "lore" that GRR Martin would have to keep track of if he didn't kill off as many people as he does. Maybe that's the idea behind Legion, kill off all the old lore for new lore.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    The Mogu. They have pretty interesting lore.

Deleted
    Nightelf mages

I though it was forbiden by Nightelf laws to use magic

Deleted
    Anyone who thinks lore not taken from a warcraft game isn't 'Real Lore' is just arrogant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Quote Originally Posted by djriff View Post
    1 word: Pandas.
    While I totally agree, he didn't ask about things that had been in Lore for many years!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Nightelf mages

I though it was forbiden by Nightelf laws to use magic
    Actually, no. The Highborne survived in Dire Maul for years. Those that followed Tyrande and Malfurion were forbidding to use magic. But two groups left. One south towards Dire Maul (who would return after the Cataclysm to allow Night Elves to become Mages) and another went east to evolve into the High Elves and Blood Elves.