Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is a Monk worth my boost?

Hey everyone

I don't want this to sound like a "which class should I play" thread, it's just asking about the current state of monks.
    I've got a boost and have every class at 90+ except warrior and monk.
    I really enjoy the class fantasy of monks with the meditatio and suchlike, and I really enjoy their healing style. My concern is that I've been reading around and it sems like monks are pretty poor in WoD asidefrom MW. I haveno interest in 1750+ arenas anymore, but conq cap, raiding (not lfr), and random bgs are my interest.

I'm not worried about MW, it's actually the fact that WW seems to be complained abouta lot in pve, and is even pretty stale in pvp. What can be explained in further detail about that? I love the mobility and all, but even when I look at pvp videos, it seems so weak. Then in pve, people constsntly say it's bad.

I just want to know if Windwalker is worth using a boost for, taking into account that the idea of the class is awesome to me. But despite that, it's hard to enjoy a class that is really awful (rip my early wod ele).
    Also want to say I'm not looking for fotm here. Already ha e lots of 100s.

Thanks all

Edit: typing this on my phone in bed trying not to bend my charger, so sorry about the typing.

i7 4690K/4.7GHz | GTX 960 SSC (x2 SLI) | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Gigabyte Z97X SLI | Corsair CX600W | Corsair Air 540 Silver | Corsair H110i Cooler
    XL2430T @ 144Hz | Corsair K70 RGB Brown | Logitech G400S/800DPI+1.2 sens+Raw Input | QcK+

Deleted
    The only thing I have to ask is: Do you WANT to play a monk?

Your answer to that is the answer to your own question.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    The only thing I have to ask is: Do you WANT to play a monk?

Your answer to that is the answer to your own question.
    Well that's my dilemma. I do, but not if it's incapable of getting into raids as dps, and is just a bad rogue in pvp

i7 4690K/4.7GHz | GTX 960 SSC (x2 SLI) | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Gigabyte Z97X SLI | Corsair CX600W | Corsair Air 540 Silver | Corsair H110i Cooler
    XL2430T @ 144Hz | Corsair K70 RGB Brown | Logitech G400S/800DPI+1.2 sens+Raw Input | QcK+

Monk is fine, and Warrior is going down the crapper.

Take this from someone who has mained warrior for years and recently boosted a monk and loving every second of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stuneree View Post
    Well that's my dilemma. I do, but not if it's incapable of getting into raids as dps, and is just a bad rogue in pvp
    Pfft. If anything rogue is a bad monk.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Why not wait until nearer the launch of Legion? Between then and now, a lot could change and we've not seen any of the class changes in action yet. You could love Monk now, and hate it once Legion goes live, wasting your Boost.

I'm doing the same. I'm torn between Paladin, Death Knight & Monk Tanking. I have a Monk at 100, as well as a Paladin. So I'll wait to see if I want to boost a Death Knight once the beta is nearing the end, and the expansion is almost upon us. I suggest you do the same.

It's worth playing, but not worth boosting.

Leveling a monk is crazy fast due to the exp bonus buff you get every few levels, and if you combine that with a healing or tank spec + LFG, you are 100 much faster than other classes.

IIRC, blizzard wants to implement some sort of tech that lets you test the class. so you boost a class, test it a bit and before clicking 'yes, i want to boost that char' you can just click 'no' and do the same with an other char.

besides that, i didnt enjoy monk gameplay a bit (tested every specc) but warrior was a lot of fun (tank/fury). thene again, classes are going to change, so i'd just wait and see what blizz is planning.

10+ Year Old Account
    i did it with my monk i choose to play healer, it is a lot of fun
    ...Le Poète est semblable au prince des nuées
    Qui hante la tempête e se rit de l'archer;
    Exilé sul le sol au milieu des huées,
    Ses ailes de géant l'empêchent de marcher.

Charles Baudelaire

I should add about the boost that the only disadvantage to this boost being used is I'd otherwise probably use it on one of my 90s... So while monk levels fast, 1-100 still won't be faster than the 90-100 I could do closer to legion.

I dont know what game you are playing .. but both WW/MW are pretty good in pvp ... even BrM is OP with guard, and in pve Monk shine on aoe fight and are still competitive on single target.. anyway play the classe you want to play imo monk is lot of fun with roll , Storm , earth and fire and all their unique mechanic.

Yes, a monk is worth a boost...so you don't have to play that poc class to 100 yourself.

Idk about PVP for Legion, but as it stands WW is bad for pvp. I have PVPed as MW and it isnt so bad. WoD has been shit for PVE for monks, WW at least with all our nerfs. Though I raided as WW through the entire expansion as my guild knows im a good player and wanted me to play a class i preferred.

IIRC blizz said they messed up Monks for PVE for WoDs and will correct it for Legion.

But bottom line its up to you. I have been playing my monk since MOP beta and will continue to. I love the class and unless they completely change it I will continue to.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Personally I'd only boost something that I have been playing for a while. It makes it a lot easier to figure out what you're doing.

7+ Year Old Account
    at this state no

if the ptr is still online: install it and create every class at lvl 100 and try them and then decide

7+ Year Old Account
    Every class worth your boost! Don't forget you will also gain a demon hunter for free in legion!!

15+ Year Old Account
    They are far from poor. The buffs monk got made at least WW overpowered. Been topping meters in every raid, even with mediocre gear. At least a few months ago, not sure if they have changed since.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    They are far from poor. The buffs monk got made at least WW overpowered. Been topping meters in every raid, even with mediocre gear. At least a few months ago, not sure if they have changed since.
    WW hasn't been overpowered since early Highmaul. It's in a pretty good spot, sure, but it's not a rogue/mage by any means. If it's between monk and warrior, I'd boost warrior and level the monk manually.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    WW hasn't been overpowered since early Highmaul. It's in a pretty good spot, sure, but it's not a rogue/mage by any means. If it's between monk and warrior, I'd boost warrior and level the monk manually.
    What is ever a rogue/mage. Whenever a warlock manages to upset rogues and mages from their eternal top spots in raid parses, we get a deluge of rogue/mage tears about OP warlocks. And so every single xpac has landed us with either a rogue/mage/warrior in top spot with the odd warlock creeping in.

By this point I don't even believe them when they say there's no hybrid tax. They clearly still design with keeping rogues at the top followed by mages.

And undeservingly so, when I see a rogue in top chart, I am disgusted that so much of their damage just comes from the auto-attack, they virtually did nothing for that kind of faceroll damage. Same goes for Blade Flurry, it virtually never hurts them to use it while the same cannot be said for SEF.

RE: OP, prepare to be discriminated as ANY melee when you boost your toon. I still can spend over an hour queueing in LFG for mythic dungeons at 715+ ilv and get declined over, and over, and over whereas if I queue on my ranged DPS it never happens.

Deleted
    I kinda hope that OP didn't waste his boost on the fastest class to level, yet.

Starting at level 20, you get a pretty much permanent 50% boost to exp via the daily / quests every 10 levels, since leveling is so fast, you should never run out. This lasts until level 84 or something like that.

The boost will be better spent on anything else. Spend it on a warrior, and hand-level the monk, it doesn't take long.
    Last edited by mmoc1ea225bcc9; 2015-11-26 at 09:18 AM.