Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Monk can be really fun if you enjoy the class.

It has cool lore, cool mog sets, you do feel powerful when you get used to playing it and hey their class hall actually looks pretty damn awesome(if you liked Jade Forest that is).

So yeah I'd definitely try it if you're interested in monks. Keep in mind though they are damn fast to just level from scratch compared to others.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

I'll give you a quite short answer: Don't waste your boost on a monk.

Not because it's not worth it! But Monks are a bit more complex than other classes and you'll be better if you learn it from the peak. If you stand there at Level 100 without any practice and knowledge, you probably get overwhelmed by the number of spells and its complexity and loose interest which would be very very sad.

Further the Leveling Experience with a Monk is just great. You're able to level very fast and cut through mobs like a hot knife through butter.

TLR: Level a monk! You wont regret it. Promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuneree View Post
    I've got a boost and have every class at 90+ except warrior and monk.
    I waited until after my 9th 100 to level my Warrior and I totally regret this, I am having so much fun with the Warrior that I really wish I would have leveled it much earlier. My Ally Warrior is now 96 and I will definitely use my boost on a horde Warrior.

My Monk? leveled it as 5th 100, and have not touched it since except to do garrison gold stuff.

So I would advise against boosting the Monk.

Quote Originally Posted by Grievuuz View Post
    I kinda hope that OP didn't waste his boost on the fastest class to level, yet.

Starting at level 20, you get a pretty much permanent 50% boost to exp via the daily / quests every 10 levels, since leveling is so fast, you should never run out. This lasts until level 84 or something like that.

The boost will be better spent on anything else. Spend it on a warrior, and hand-level the monk, it doesn't take long.
    Once you hit 85, the XP buff goes down to 20% rather than 50%, and at 90 it turns into a mastery buff.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Level boosts make this game more boring. Just level one up the normal way and you'll see along the way whether you enjoy playing them or not.

The cata revamp of the old content is REALLY good, you'll have a lot of fun leveling.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Boost your Warrior level your Monk. Why? You've got the time before Legion to do both easily and you'll have both to choose from at that point.

Monk is a quick level. Like no time. Since I see you have every other class leveled up pretty far its safe to assume you've got the heirlooms. Heirlooms + Monk Buff to exp and you'll be 90 before you know it. At 90 level to 91/92 take the 300% exp pots and do the Objective trick and boom lvl 100 monk in no time.

Right now Monk is in a fine spot for dps in HFC as a lot of the fights play to Monk strengths. You'll chart crush on a few fights and be upper tier on others. As others have said if you goal is DPS spot one just roll Arcane or Sub and call it a day. But monks by no means are weak. I love having one in the group and rarely regret it. One of the better melee dps. You won't regret being a Monk.

On that note I think both Monk and Warrior are fun classes. Legion you might see monks take a slide in player numbers, but we don't know the outcome of all the changes as of this point so the style change may no result in a power change.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    Boost your Warrior level your Monk. Why? You've got the time before Legion to do both easily and you'll have both to choose from at that point.

Monk is a quick level. Like no time. Since I see you have every other class leveled up pretty far its safe to assume you've got the heirlooms. Heirlooms + Monk Buff to exp and you'll be 90 before you know it. At 90 level to 91/92 take the 300% exp pots and do the Objective trick and boom lvl 100 monk in no time.

Right now Monk is in a fine spot for dps in HFC as a lot of the fights play to Monk strengths. You'll chart crush on a few fights and be upper tier on others. As others have said if you goal is DPS spot one just roll Arcane or Sub and call it a day. But monks by no means are weak. I love having one in the group and rarely regret it. One of the better melee dps. You won't regret being a Monk.

On that note I think both Monk and Warrior are fun classes. Legion you might see monks take a slide in player numbers, but we don't know the outcome of all the changes as of this point so the style change may no result in a power change.
    Roll a rogue or mage, period. There is not a single xpac where by the end mage or rogue doesn't sit at the tops spot while occassionally being contested by a warlock or warrior.

Fact is, hybrids with healing specs available to them have rarely been allowed to sit at top spot for long before they're nerfed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucrece View Post
    Roll a rogue or mage, period. There is not a single xpac where by the end mage or rogue doesn't sit at the tops spot while occassionally being contested by a warlock or warrior.

Fact is, hybrids with healing specs available to them have rarely been allowed to sit at top spot for long before they're nerfed down.
    Mage I can get behind always being 1. Rogue it comes and goes depending on the fights and the way they structure the top Rogue DPS spec (single/cleave/ae). As a warlock I feel the pain of any time we get near the top for too long we get the smack down. Druid does well for a hybrid because the Tank is normally awesome, healing is always solid and either Moon or Cat normally has a Tier or two where they are super powerful. Shaman...well they are shaman. Monks haven't seemed to have a shit tier, some weaker but not totally shit.

I'd also throw Hunter into the mix as the best raid DPS consistently. Utility + solid rounded dps. If they didn't always get stuck with jobs in fights they'd probably be number 1 all the time.

I won't play mage and my rogue basically exists for my insane title and because I thought a Goblin rogue would be fun in pvp for a bit and it was but I just can't get into the combo point classes and Mage...well I'm a lock so fuck you mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    Mage I can get behind always being 1. Rogue it comes and goes depending on the fights and the way they structure the top Rogue DPS spec (single/cleave/ae). As a warlock I feel the pain of any time we get near the top for too long we get the smack down. Druid does well for a hybrid because the Tank is normally awesome, healing is always solid and either Moon or Cat normally has a Tier or two where they are super powerful. Shaman...well they are shaman. Monks haven't seemed to have a shit tier, some weaker but not totally shit.

I'd also throw Hunter into the mix as the best raid DPS consistently. Utility + solid rounded dps. If they didn't always get stuck with jobs in fights they'd probably be number 1 all the time.

I won't play mage and my rogue basically exists for my insane title and because I thought a Goblin rogue would be fun in pvp for a bit and it was but I just can't get into the combo point classes and Mage...well I'm a lock so fuck you mage.
    Thing with Hunters is, they're a one trick class (DPS only) and are the most played class in the game to boot. I'd rather play something less dime-a-dozen. Warlock is always good damage and they're one of the least played DPS only class. Rogues are pretty down there as well, but don't know if I want to play a DPS only class where all 3 specs are melee DPS. Was hoping Rogues got a ranged spec in Legion to complement the Hunter's melee spec, but I guess they are doomed to be a melee DPS only class forever.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    Use your boost to level something that you can't stand leveling!
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

Personally I wouldn't use it on a Monk. Monks + Heirlooms level INSANELY fast.

7+ Year Old Account
    Mechanically the class is a love hate. People enjoy it 110% or hate it.
    Monks still haven't found their place as Blizzard continues to change them a lot.

Wait until Legion and make your choice. I love my monk but everyone I know and play with hates them.
    The world isn't as bad as you think.

I can't speak for PVP as I have never done it other than the couple we had to do for legendary. But for PVE it struggled a bit they have messed with it some and for anyone who says rogue outdoes a monk hasn't played with a decent monk. I'm not great by any means but I read, stay up on things and work at being the best I can. Rarely in our raid does a rogue beat me and we have 3 in our raid.. No clue what will happen in Legion as we're getting major overhaul but so far what I hear for the most part seems good. Now with that said Blizz can screw up any class easily as they do it all the time. The advice to level the monk manually is good as if you want to play it and be good you do need the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Thing with Hunters is, they're a one trick class (DPS only) and are the most played class in the game to boot. I'd rather play something less dime-a-dozen. Warlock is always good damage and they're one of the least played DPS only class. Rogues are pretty down there as well, but don't know if I want to play a DPS only class where all 3 specs are melee DPS. Was hoping Rogues got a ranged spec in Legion to complement the Hunter's melee spec, but I guess they are doomed to be a melee DPS only class forever.
    Rogues are pure faceroll, so much of their damage is easymode as autoattacks make up a huge portion of their damage relative to other classes, and their cleave is easymode as well with combat...

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Thing with Hunters is, they're a one trick class (DPS only) and are the most played class in the game to boot. I'd rather play something less dime-a-dozen.
    Paladin and Druid are ahead of Hunter. They are the 2 most played classes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovyn View Post
    Paladin and Druid are ahead of Hunter. They are the 2 most played classes.
    Hence the (DPS only) which doesn't include either of the ones you've stated

7+ Year Old Account
    Monks are worth playing, for sure, but they do have built-in daily experience buffs from their current "Class Hall" as it were, making them very quick to level.

I started another monk YESTERDAY, played for about 3-4 hours and am already level 30 (full heirlooms, chain tanking dungeons).

Worth playing? Yes. Worth boosting over a class that would take more time to get to 100? Not sure.
    disco inferno

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    Once you hit 85, the XP buff goes down to 20% rather than 50%, and at 90 it turns into a mastery buff.
    at 90 you can get a potion in your garrison for 20% for some resources for one hour

10+ Year Old Account
    We're getting completely redone in Legion for the most part, and so far it all looks like trash. I currently love monk, and if it was only being polished up in Legion, I would say hell yeah, but now you'll end up playing a significantly more dull class come Legion.

I like what I see in Legion, better streamlining, less weakauras for me to clutter my screen with. I like merged tiger palm with jab. I want my FoF stun back for pve though.