Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcbound View Post
    For those of you who think it is ok, would it be ok if someone bought Blizzard's code and used it to create a wow clone?

Also you act like botting is illegal under the law. Botting is not illegal under any kind of law, Blizzard just views it as undesirable. That is it.
    The bot makers are profiting from another companies product, which is illegal. How the hell do you think Blizzard has shut down bot makers before?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure Blizzards legal team trumps MMOCs armchair lawyers.

Even assuming the law is on the side of the botters, then well it is wrong. They're a parasite company thriving off the success of Blizzard. Causing damages a long the way.

Anyone who is a real gamer is on Blizzards side, law or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    So lets say you are correct here. This went through all the necessary legal channels. What they did is still bottom of the barrel scummy. Worse than any bot coder could ever be, or even a bot user. People put time and money into that code and Blizzard "stole" it.
    Who gives a shit if they put time and money into it, when they are profiting from another companies product?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    That is a completely different situation with different context. Also, botting is against the terms of service(And a fair term to agree to). They have every right to go after these botting companies.
    ToS was invalid for them due to different law. (not sure if it still is)

10+ Year Old Account
    So lets say you are correct here. This went through all the necessary legal channels. What they did is still bottom of the barrel scummy. Worse than any bot coder could ever be, or even a bot user. People put time and money into that code and Blizzard "stole" it.

Edit: As someone above posted, want to know what happens when people open up private WoW Servers that are "reverse engineered"? They are ordered taken down by Blizzard. Isn't that strange how it works? When you obtain, and use someone else's property for your own gain, it is illegal.
    I agree with you on a technicality. But because I have no sympathy for people who make tools to enable the cheating of others, I'm willing to look past it. On an objective level, whether or not this is legal or underhanded or honorable, the outcome was positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Code that violates Blizzard's term of service and messes with the game itself.
    The code actually is not within the game. It doesn't violate anything, its why the Bot is still around, its why Blizzard is losing the court battle for the actual case (unrelated to this one)

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    The bot makers are profiting from another companies product, which is illegal. How the hell do you think Blizzard has shut down bot makers before?
    No it is not. If you have a plate do people who sell food on it profit from that? Yes they do. Is it illegal? No. Blizzard has not successfully shut down a bot like Bossland before because of the way Bossland works. I won't walk about it here, its against the rules, but there is a reason they are still around.

Who gives a shit if they put time and money into it, when they are profiting from another companies product?
    See the above response.

Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    ToS was invalid for them due to different law. (not sure if it still is)
    Also quoting this for truth. This is another reason Bossland is still around, because they are getting by on Technicalities because they are in Germany.

Deleted
    You know that's nothing special? You buy third party products for anything, be it car parts, printer color or cofee machine parts. Hell you could argue wow profits from windows existence.

American Law =/= European Law. Blizzard is going through the back door on trying to stop BuddyBots instead of the legal way. If you're paying someone to sell another companies trade secret, it's a terrible business model. It's like if they did the same thing to valve because of Dota2, paid the coder to deliver them the exact copy he just sold to valve.

Everyone wants bots to be gone but the way they're handling it is wrong.
    "Last time I checked, Cain didn't bludgeon Abel with a Gameboy; Genghis Khan didn't have an Xbox Live account; and Hitler didn't play Crash Bandicoot." -- Tommy Tallarico

I agree with this. It also shows Blizzard's desparation in trying to stop bots. They should learn from the movie and music industries when people were trying to illegally download material. They came up with services like spotify and netflix. Sure I could illegally download movies and songs and risk getting viruses or worse or I could pay $10 a month and get unlimited streaming. If Blizzard is going to fight botters constantly they are going to lose. If they adapt to make botting undesirable, then they will win the long war.

You know that's nothing special? You buy third party products for anything, be it car parts, printer color or cofee machine parts. Hell you could argue wow profits from windows existence.
    Also quoting this for truth. Selling a Third Party Program that has the ability to modify another program is not illegal. Just like selling a car part that is used to modify a car is not illegal. This really is basic stuff.

The code actually is not within the game. It doesn't violate anything, its why the Bot is still around, its why Blizzard is losing the court battle for the actual case (unrelated to this one)

No it is not. If you have a plate do people who sell food on it profit from that? Yes they do. Is it illegal? No. Blizzard has not successfully shut down a bot like Bossland before because of the way Bossland works. I won't walk about it here, its against the rules, but there is a reason they are still around.

See the above response.

Also quoting this for truth. This is another reason Bossland is still around, because they are getting by on Technicalities because they are in Germany.
    Guessing you don't even realize they were shutdown in their own country when Blizzard won their lawsuit against them. Players in Germany now have to change their IPs to a country outside Germany in order to use HonorBuddy, DemonBuddy, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't compare those, this is a different territory. Bots cause financial harm and are simply against the rules they have established.

Guessing you don't even realize they were shutdown in their own country when Blizzard won their lawsuit against them. Players in Germany now have to change their IPs to a country outside Germany in order to use HonorBuddy, DemonBuddy, etc.
    Blizzard actually only won based in Germany. They are still losing the other cases trying to get them elsewhere, as I said above.

Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    You can't compare those, this is a different territory. Bots cause financial harm and are simply against the rules they have established.
    Cars that are modified to run on Water harm the Oil Industry. Shut them down.

Its literally the same argument. It is not different territory at all. It would be different territory if the Bossland Bots actually modified game code for money, but they don't. They inject themselves like an ENB or SweetFX Preset, on a basic level.

The source code is not common knowledge
    source code in-and-of-itself isn't interesting; what matters with regards to "trade secrets" are algorithms.
    time is money - money is power - power corrupts

10+ Year Old Account
    Also quoting this for truth. Selling a Third Party Program that has the ability to modify another program is not illegal. Just like selling a car part that is used to modify a car is not illegal. This really is basic stuff.
    Modifying your car can be illegal varying by location and parts.

Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would call a molotov raid shady, but not trying to bribe some nerd.
    -=From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of steel. I aspired to the purity of the blessed machine. Your kind claimed your flesh as if it will not decay and fail you. One day the crude biomass that you call a temple will wither, and you will beg my kind to save you... But I am already saved..... For the machine is immortal=-

Blizzard actually only won based in Germany. They are still losing the other cases trying to get them elsewhere, as I said above.
    Lmao.. Where the hell do you think Bossland is based? Hence why they "only won in Germany". Blizzard has successfully shut down several bot makers.

damn. go blizz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure if we ignore context, go right ahead and think that.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Wouldnt be the internet without dumb fucks trying to make analogies that have no relevance/sensible application whatsoever every 15 seconds