Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Russia's WW2 Flying Tank.

Russia STAHP! Y U DO DIS? STAHP IT!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_A-40

And a bonus.

The World War 1 Tsar Tank. Also known as the Cannon on a Tricycle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Tank

15+ Year Old Account
    ..................and?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    I thought you were referring to this beast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilyushin_Il-2

Thanks to the heavy armor protection, the Il-2 could take a great deal of punishment and proved difficult for both ground and aircraft fire to shoot down.[citation needed] One Il-2 in particular was reported to have returned safely to base despite receiving more than 600 direct hits and having all its control surfaces completely shredded as well as numerous holes in its main armor and other structural damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    ..................and?
    I just find them very funny.

I'm a bit into old gizmos and machines. The military have come up with a bunch of looney mechanical thingamajigs especially between the mid 1800's to until about after World War 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post

Thanks to the heavy armor protection, the Il-2 could take a great deal of punishment and proved difficult for both ground and aircraft fire to shoot down.[citation needed] One Il-2 in particular was reported to have returned safely to base despite receiving more than 600 direct hits and having all its control surfaces completely shredded as well as numerous holes in its main armor and other structural damage.
    Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. That makes too much sense.

Actually putting wings on a tank sounds much reasonable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Britain wanted to build an aircraft carrier out of ice, so a flying tank isn't so crazy.

I wonder if that 600 hits is from something like 20mm, or ground infantry firing at the planes with submachine guns, causing minor damage to the paint job ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I wonder if that 600 hits is from something like 20mm, or ground infantry firing at the planes with submachine guns, causing minor damage to the paint job ^^
    If most of the control surfaces were shredded as well as the main armour being pierced I would wager it is a bit of both.

A lot of experimentation with unconventional ideas goes on with the defense industry. Back then we didn't have as much collective engineering knowledge as we do now, so the ideas seem a lot sillier in hindsight, but why wouldn't you try out everything you could to get an edge in combat?

Now a'days a lot of the cutting edge experimentation is on the infantry front. So the technologies they are experimenting with are very invisible but in 60 years we might look back at some of them and be like "lolwut?".

For the record, the idea was an airmobile tank.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    A lot of experimentation with unconventional ideas goes on with the defense industry. Back then we didn't have as much collective engineering knowledge as we do now, so the ideas seem a lot sillier in hindsight, but why wouldn't you try out everything you could to get an edge in combat?

Now a'days a lot of the cutting edge experimentation is on the infantry front. So the technologies they are experimenting with are very invisible but in 60 years we might look back at some of them and be like "lolwut?".
    I wonder what the Canadians are up to... an assault moose? Maple syrup powered ATV? Hockey stick sniper rifle?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

I wonder what the Canadians are up to... an assault moose? Maple syrup powered ATV? Hockey stick sniper rifle?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenc...lopment_Canada

Lots of things.

15+ Year Old Account
    Those things are prototypes for a reason, much like nazi germany's cyclone AA canon or Britains' ice-crafted aircraft carrier, or USA's gay bomb, the list of bizzare research prototypes goes on and on...

Btw world war 2's lancaster heavy bomber were pretty much "flying tanks" due to the sheer amount of punishment they could withstand and still be able to fly.

USA's warthogs are the closest thing to a fully armored badass flying ttank.
    Last edited by Gamevizier; 2015-11-22 at 04:54 PM.

Deleted
    Infantry equipment is in a weird place right now, we are no longer as mobile as in the past due to the weight that needs to be carried. Rather than being quick and mobile things are moving towards better optics, information systems and countermeasures, this means rather than chasing the enemy it is better to pin them down and let artillery and other support do their job. I honestly cannot predict where we will be in the next 50 years since things are moving so quickly, 10 years ago we had shit equipment, inadequate optics, body armour and poor ECM, nowadays you can fit a drone in your pocket that lets you spy over walls while someone sitting a thousand miles away drops a bomb on their head.

15+ Year Old Account
    Infantry equipment is in a weird place right now, we are no longer as mobile as in the past due to the weight that needs to be carried. Rather than being quick and mobile things are moving towards better optics, information systems and countermeasures, this means rather than chasing the enemy it is better to pin them down and let artillery and other support do their job. I honestly cannot predict where we will be in the next 50 years since things are moving so quickly, 10 years ago we had shit equipment, inadequate optics, body armour and poor ECM, nowadays you can fit a drone in your pocket that lets you spy over walls while someone sitting a thousand miles away drops a bomb on their head.
    In Finland we don't need to worry about such things. We are happy with using the gear from 60's!

Deleted
    In Finland we don't need to worry about such things. We are happy with using the gear from 60's!
    Thats probably a good thing considering the weather there, I would not trust a lot of this equipment we have in your conditions.

Exoskeletons. At this point is nearly certain. It will most likely start with the lower body.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Exoskeletons. At this point is nearly certain. It will most likely start with the lower body.

Yeah but power is a huge concern since current batteries do not cut the mustard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thats probably a good thing considering the weather there, I would not trust a lot of this equipment we have in your conditions.
    Our guns are from the 60's, but we do have some godsend hitech from the 80's such as these:

My mess kit in the army was from the 40's.

This is ours, we also have a canteen cup. It's M1942 so it's probably from WWII also.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    This is objectively false.

The real Russian WWII flying tank was any of their normal tanks hit directly by a Tiger II. Those things were BEASTS.