Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Utterly meaningless, but okay.

Universal healthcare does not necessarily entail government run hospitals (though if the NHS is anything to go by it's actually quite good). Literally all single-payer means is that the government foots the bill.
    Talk about utterly meaningless. The government doesn't foot the bill. Government decides the cost and forces the taxpayers foot the bill. Big difference
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

The thing that bugs me about 'Obamacare' is that it doesn't do me any good. What I mean is my income is three times below the poverty line. But the state I live in does not help cover medicare for people below poverty line. The medicare program is even subsidized by the federal government...

I also have issues with the inability to contact someone easily there to ask them questions. There being healthcare.gov. Going through the paper work the other day all I got out of it was a code that makes me tax exempt on the 'pay a fine if you do not have insurance' piece of my 2015 taxes. But no way to talk to someone there with questions about possibly getting medicare coverage or something because of my health issues. Yes it asks you if you have health issues, but I have specific questions and they are not 'debilitating' which was the only option they had on there when filling out the paper work. Ugh...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Would make it worse then, fixed price vs profit margins. The only way to improve profits is to cut costs.....
    The healthcare systems of pretty much every other developed country demonstrates otherwise.

And if the VA is anything to go by, US government run hospitals are not so good...........
    So your answer is that Americans just happen to be uniquely terrible at administering anything correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    Talk about utterly meaningless. The government doesn't foot the bill. Government decides the cost and forces the taxpayers foot the bill. Big difference
    Yeah, the big difference being better coverage for the majority of people at less cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Total garbage
    Since what you posted was a bunch of wharblgrbl I'm going to only address the detritus about the republican plan thing, which is BS. It was a Heritage think tank plan which they cooked up as something slightly more palatable than Hildabeast's UHC. It wasnt a mainstream republican idea. This is dumber than the Al Gore internet stuff or Love Boat.

When it was written it was a failure and I can only hope after the majority of insurance company's and co-ops pull out it goes away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mhdoe View Post
    When it was written it was a failure and I can only hope after the majority of insurance company's and co-ops pull out it goes away.
    So what, you prefer a system in which a huge section of the population is uninsured and have their coverage denied for incredibly stupid reasons?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    The healthcare systems of pretty much every other developed country demonstrates otherwise.

So your answer is that Americans just happen to be uniquely terrible at administering anything correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, the big difference being better coverage for the majority of people at less cost.
    This is the US, not other places. I am not stupid enough to think in pie-in-the-sky-utopia changes to how things operate here. Yes, the US government IS terrible at administrating things.

All I know is, we pay well over $800 a month for healthcare for a family of 4. Kinda retarded at this point.
    Yes, I draw my own avatars.

10+ Year Old Account
    How are people paying so much? Adult female here with pre existing conditions(not serious but apparantly they still count). Pay 250 a month

Which is actually cheaper than pre Obama care...

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the US, not other places. I am not stupid enough to think in pie-in-the-sky-utopia changes to how things operate here. Yes, the US government IS terrible at administrating things.
    Cool.

I suppose we should disband the US Armed Forces then because Americans are clearly so terrible at administration.

10+ Year Old Account
    And if the VA is anything to go by, US government run hospitals are not so good...........
    Despite which, they top the charts for patient satisfaction, followed closely by Medicare and Medicaid.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't let facts get in the way of the anti-establishment fantasy, though.

Hmf...I had an HMO that I paid $36/month and everything was covered.
    After the ACA kicked in, my payments were 5x the amount for specific coverage, but I was told it was better. But they could never specify just how that was except that in almost every category I had to pay out the ass if I had anything wrong with me.
    As I am a single male I am that particular demographic that was focused upon to carry the burden of increased payments, in effect to help pay down others.
    Fortunately, I'm still healthy and have not needed to go to the doctor for any reason in the past 5 years. Needless to say since the ACA I no longer carry insuance. I did the math and even with the penalties the IRS metes out I still come out ahead as long as I never need medical attention.
    The Healthcare industry got paid off with the ACA. And will continue to do so as long as it never has to compete with single-payer. (I'm keeping an eye on Colorado. They're supposed to be voting on that sort of thing)

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool.

I suppose we should disband the US Armed Forces then because Americans are clearly so terrible at administration.
    The government does do a bad job of administrating the US military, but it is one of the few legitimate duties of the federal government and we don't like the idea of a military that isn't civilian controlled. It would be better run sans civilian intervention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't let facts get in the way of the anti-establishment fantasy, though.
    I predict the response will be "Well of course they're happy with it! They're getting shit for free!"

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be better run sans civilian intervention.
    Implying the civic sector of this country isn't the exploited appendage of its so called protectors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I predict the response will be "Well of course they're happy with it! They're getting shit for free!"
    If the shoe fits.

It is the only reason I use the VA.

- - - Updated - - -

Implying the civic sector of this country isn't the exploited appendage of its so called protectors.
    Because it isnt. A great deal of the bloat and stupidity is forced onto the Pentagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post
    All I know is, we pay well over $800 a month for healthcare for a family of 4. Kinda retarded at this point.
    You should say thanks to the Republicans for their gutted plan they made during the committee hearings for it.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    You should say thanks to the Republicans for their gutted plan they made during the committee hearings for it.
    You do realize that Pelosi and the democrats shut the republicans completely out of writing Obamacare? Right? How can you now try to lay blame for Demona3's health care costs on the republicans?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

"Better" coverage? Costs are going up not down, particularly for young healthy adults who are being forced to pay for unnecessary coverage to subsidise the sick and the poor.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    You do realize that Pelosi and the democrats shut the republicans completely out of writing Obamacare? Right?
    Care to try again?