Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How is soloing old raids as a mage?

Like the title says how is soloing old raids as a mage?

Considering useing my level 100 boost to solo as a mage and Ill also be going after the legendary staff. So how is it? How do you self heal if needed and all.

Never really played a mage in WoW besides at really old levels.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    While we don't have a lot of information for it going into next expansion, namely our self healing, currently we do well due to the damage we put out. We can generally kill things faster than they kill us, and then if you can get some leech on your gear that is further extended. Most Mages can easily solo everything in Cata, and some things in MoP. Good Mages can push decently in MoP as of now.

We are not DKs, but we are decent enough.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    While we don't have a lot of information for it going into next expansion, namely our self healing, currently we do well due to the damage we put out. We can generally kill things faster than they kill us, and then if you can get some leech on your gear that is further extended. Most Mages can easily solo everything in Cata, and some things in MoP. Good Mages can push decently in MoP as of now.

We are not DKs, but we are decent enough.
    Cool and while it isn't on topic what is the most easy spec to learn as a new mage for engame but also easy to solo with?

Kinda cought between leveling a mage and leveling my hunter. I want that legendary staff tho and really considering retiring my pally as my main. Been playing a melee (My pally) since wrath and the style is getting quite boring lol.

That or ill main both.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-11-23 at 03:07 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Cool and while it isn't on topic what is the most easy spec to learn as a new mage for engame but also easy to solo with?

Kinda cought between leveling a mage and leveling my hunter. I want that legendary staff tho and really considering retiring my pally as my main. Been playing a melee (My pally) since wrath and the style is getting quite boring lol.

That or ill main both.
    I would say Frost is probably the easiest to just cruise with. Frozen Orb/Splitting Ice for Ice Lance makes dealing with adds really easy. Comet Storm also can just one shot bosses in ICC. Arcane with Arcane Explosion is fun to go through trash with, and also does fine against bosses to just spam and win. Fire is not bad, it is just a little on the slower side. It has its niche fights like it can just destroy dogs in MSV in MoP.

I would say Frost is probably the easiest to just cruise with. Frozen Orb/Splitting Ice for Ice Lance makes dealing with adds really easy. Comet Storm also can just one shot bosses in ICC. Arcane with Arcane Explosion is fun to go through trash with, and also does fine against bosses to just spam and win. Fire is not bad, it is just a little on the slower side. It has its niche fights like it can just destroy dogs in MSV in MoP.
    K what would you say (I did check out ur fire thread but some of the info went over my head) is the most easy to also do decent dps and all at current endgame?

Even more so for someone who rarely use's marcos and all.

Edit: Was considering frost because I do like the idea of having a pet.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-11-23 at 03:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    K what would you say (I did check out ur fire thread but some of the info went over my head) is the most easy to also do decent dps and all at current endgame?

Even more so for someone who rarely use's marcos and all.

Edit: Was considering frost because I do like the idea of having a pet.
    Frost is fine for endgame. Even in Mythic HFC you can play through with Frost and not have any issues.

Frost is fine for endgame. Even in Mythic HFC you can play through with Frost and not have any issues.
    How easy is the rotation was my point.

Sorry if I wasn't clear and ya I am really considering a mage I want that legendary staff LOL.

Edit: I decided on doing my hunter right now but will be leveling a mage in the near future. Ty for all the help
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-11-23 at 03:59 AM.

Everything Cata is incredibly easy to solo, Legendary staff too. MoP though, it's mostly a few bosses. Mechanically the first boss in SoO is incredibly annoying for me at attempting to solo, no problem getting his health down, it's the short amount of time i have with AoEing the oozes and thus would hit the enrage before i Knock off his secondary health bar.

MoP Celest bosses are soloable, as well as the world boss on dino island.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathoric View Post
    Everything Cata is incredibly easy to solo, Legendary staff too. MoP though, it's mostly a few bosses. Mechanically the first boss in SoO is incredibly annoying for me at attempting to solo, no problem getting his health down, it's the short amount of time i have with AoEing the oozes and thus would hit the enrage before i Knock off his secondary health bar.

MoP Celest bosses are soloable, as well as the world boss on dino island.
    Cool beans. Going to setup my hunter then start leveling a mage My hunter was 71 so I figured I would just boost him so I get the benfits of the professions then level a mage.

Obligatorily I have to link http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...who-needs-a-DK

If you're talking about what mythic-geared mages are doing, they're almost killing Garrosh.

But if you're talking about what a ~610 ilvl mage can do......Firelands shouldn't be a problem, but you have to read the dungeon journal first. DS should be fine too, but I'll be careful on Madness.
    If you take the time to upgrade it with Balefuls to ~675, then Elegon 10 Normal is possible, at even a lower ilvl if you can get a 4/6 lockout. I would not recommend Horridon unless you have some HFC gear, or really knows what you are doing. Ji-Kun itself is really easy, but the bosses before it are not, so around HFC gear. Assuming your purpose in soloing is for mounts, of course.
    Last edited by isaac2314; 2015-11-23 at 05:56 AM.
    See here for my own Mage solo (and sometimes other classes too.)
    And also see this document for my efforts at listing solo kills of every class. Please do not hesitate to message me if there is some kill I have failed to record.

Quote Originally Posted by isaac2314 View Post
    Obligatorily I have to link http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...who-needs-a-DK

If you're talking about what mythic-geared mages are doing, they're almost killing Garrosh.

But if you're talking about what a ~610 ilvl mage can do......Firelands shouldn't be a problem, but you have to read the dungeon journal first. DS should be fine too, but I'll be careful on Madness.
    If you take the time to upgrade it with Balefuls to ~675, then Elegon 10 Normal is possible, at even a lower ilvl if you can get a 4/6 lockout. I would not recommend Horridon unless you have some HFC gear, or really knows what you are doing. Ji-Kun itself is really easy, but the bosses before it are not, so around HFC gear. Assuming your purpose in soloing is for mounts, of course.
    Thats good to know tyvm mage is the next class I am going to be leveling.

Self-heal is accomplished by having gear that has "leech" on it as a tertiary stat. (Tertiary stats are new to WoD.) Tertiary stats are randomly assigned to any gear that you might run across (with the exception of crafted gear, which will never have those stats.) Leech works by healing you for a percentage of your damage done. Since your damage in older raids gets a multiplier you end up doing huge damage which then results in quite a bit of healing. So, as long as you can be damaging stuff you can heal yourself. Your Ice Barrier spell is also your friend for reducing damage.

The best place to get a leech item is off the the world boss Supreme Lord Kazzak. He drops a trinket that gives a huge amount of leech, equivalent to about 10% leech (i.e. one tenth of your damage is returned to you as healing). You can kill him for loot once per week. You can also check the AH to see if someone is selling a BoE world drop that happens to have leech on it.

With even a little bit of leech the Cataclysm heroic raids are trivial to solo as a mage. Same holds true for MoP heroic dungeons. I've done them all as arcane, but frost is supposed to be a little bit easier.

As for the legendary staff quest chain, there is one small segment that will require you to do it as frost (you need a pet in order to solo it), but the rest worked fine for me as arcane. (I was about i620 when I did it, with about 1.5% leech at the time. Most or all of it is probably doable without leech as well.) Probably fine as fire, too. Lots of comments on wowhead about how to handle that chain. You can do that quest chain entirely on 10m-normal, but I recommend doing it 25m-normal when you are in the parts where you are farming for all the many drops from the bosses. (25m drops significantly more items than 10m, so it reduces the length of time to complete the legendary chain by several weeks.)

Good luck, have fun!
    Last edited by Birdzzz; 2015-11-23 at 06:38 AM.

As long as I'm not doing Spine or MoP raids, I can solo everything fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Magistrate View Post
    Spine
    get leech on an item.

With the mythic, upgraded juggernaut's focusing crystal all content up to mop Just piece of cake. When you hit like a truck as arcane or be a turret as frost you see some crazy numbers of healing to you. Spine, madness all of them are easy with that. Try to grab that one

If you were rolling a 100 just to do old content I just don't know why you would ever pick a Mage... Take a tank class and you'll be much better off on old content.
    I'm levelling a DK just for Legion and the account wide transmog.

Beyond Cata a Mage is basically in a DPS race with every boss. Can I kill you before you inevitably kill me. For that you need gear, lots of it and preferably good.
    Last edited by Zelendria; 2015-11-28 at 08:20 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I solo old cata dungeons every week on my mage, its no issue unless you're on spine where you're gunna want a healing potion, cold snap, and regen iceblock glyph. For MoP raids....you need good gear to blow the bosses up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorrum View Post
    you're gunna want a healing potion

get leech on an item. you do millions of dmg per hit. even 2% hp leech is immense.

Without leech mages are the worst class for soloing. It's disgusting how much easier it is to solo on my hunter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just get that nifty leech trinket off Kazzak, will make surviving quite easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.