earthquake - i need insight

Do you actually use earthquake during your aoe rotation? It feels like a dps loss comparing CL spam and dump ES, even with 5+mobs. I know knockdown is a good utility especially in miythics+ but, if its not needed, do you still using it for dps?

Or maybe, i'm missing/doing something wrong?

It is highly likely, that if mobs die, before you get like a few second or more out of the eq totem, that it will be a dps loss. But the ideal situation is like mythic+7 onwards (where mobs have much more hp).

You get full value out of the majority of the eq totems you have, the knock down is very strong as a general disrupt, and the alternative mailstorm spender (ES) is, in 99% of multi-mob situations (where they will live long enough to get ~half duration on all targets of eq totem), a dps loss over EQ.

Quote Originally Posted by felix014 View Post
    Do you actually use earthquake during your aoe rotation? It feels like a dps loss comparing CL spam and dump ES, even with 5+mobs. I know knockdown is a good utility especially in miythics+ but, if its not needed, do you still using it for dps?

Basically taking what Ggtbot and going into a bit more detail.

It depends on what content your doing, but as a general rule of thumb as the difficulty of the content goes up if mobs can be knocked down I begin to start favoring EQ more than ES (unless its single target of course). This works well in higher difficulty mythic + content because utility tends to be more valuable than DPS and that is where EQ begins to shine.

Pretty much only use that spell in mythic+ and maybe a trash pack or 2 in EN. Everywhere else its pointless since things die half way through an EQ totem.

Quote Originally Posted by felix014 View Post

What I've read online and been told is

4+ Mob, use three FS, then chain (/LS when it procs) once you have 50 Maelstorm then use earthquake. Under 4 enemies isn't worth. Apparently, but I use it on two + in some cases as people can't interupt shit

We recently discovered that EQ scales with haste. So now its worth it on 2+ targets if you have more than 30% or so haste.

Deleted
    Does EQ Stack? A shaman from my guild told me that it stacked 2 times. Otherwise you would only need to renew it every 10 sec right?

I believe in the beta it stacked to 4? Not sure if it has changed though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerduen View Post
    Does EQ Stack? A shaman from my guild told me that it stacked 2 times. Otherwise you would only need to renew it every 10 sec right?
    you can place as many as you want as long as you generate the maelstrom needed

Quote Originally Posted by Spiel View Post
    you can place as many as you want as long as you generate the maelstrom needed
    Typically I can get three out at once before the first one despawns. Although be careful if you have liquid magma totem up. I'm not sure if it ACTUALLY despawned it when I dropped the 3rd EQ, but my little totem bar underneath my nameplate showed that the 3rd EQ had overridden it.

Quote Originally Posted by Urgalicious View Post
    Typically I can get three out at once before the first one despawns. Although be careful if you have liquid magma totem up. I'm not sure if it ACTUALLY despawned it when I dropped the 3rd EQ, but my little totem bar underneath my nameplate showed that the 3rd EQ had overridden it.
    hummm i might have to check that, always thought i could place several, because i always saw my dps go up the more eq i casted

idk i dinged 110 today and im pretty satisfied with eq nowadays, i even had a pack in VotW hc where it outdamaged my CL because i generated so much maelstrom and they stack (600+ hits on that pack, no way they dont stack)

also gear is obviously shit

With Static Overload I can get 4 out pretty easy but I have never thought to check if they are all dealing damage to mobs or just the most recent few.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Storing crap in a hole is pretty easy and efficient.

went to the 3 tiny dummies in sw just to make sure, single eq ticked 36 times, starting off with 100 maelstrom and generating another 50 and stacking them up, 108 ticks so definitely stacking

Quote Originally Posted by Spiel View Post
    hummm i might have to check that, always thought i could place several, because i always saw my dps go up the more eq i casted
    Oh I wasn't saying you couldn't have multiple down at the same time, I was more responding to people dropping 4 at once, which I can never do in time, highest I can get to is 3 at the same time before the first one's duration finishes.