Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Ability Pruning= WoW heading to console

Considering the drop of subs and the huge console market, I believe, the ability pruning is the blizzard decision to attract more players (specifically console users) or expand its market. Take a look at the success of diablo and ffiv for example. What do you think?

That is what was said before WoD still hasn't happened.

Do you mean FFXIV? Because that's one hell of a ability bloat game right there, so I don't see the correlation.

That's really grasping at straws. Fewer people are buying consoles than they were 10 years ago, revamping an entire infrastructure to cater to such a minority seems really unlikely especially when you consider that nearly everyone has a computer nowadays.

When you compare it to other MMO's on console; it looks aesthetically simple, has no voice chat system (as of now), and way too many abilities. Even if you were to half the number of abilities per class, that's still way too much

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    If they do this I hope they add the console UI and controls to the PC version too. It'd be nice to use when you're doing things like farming for herbs or leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    Yep, WoD would of been the point to move to Console too. There's not much of a pruning in Legion so far it seems, just adjustments and changing of moves. WoD had the actual pruning.

Wow will never translate well to consoles, it just isn't going to happen.
    Frequent Poster on Fluid Druid, The best Feral community out there

My Character

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it could head in that direction, but not because of ability pruning.

Consoles and PCs have never been more similar and the audience for both are overlapping. Microsoft has pushed for unification in entertainment, so I think in a generation after next,perhaps the "Xbox" won't even be a console,but just a series of their version of Steam Machines with Windows.

I think it makes perfect sense that Blizzard would look for ways for their products to work using multiple control methods,like controller support.

Scalable level tech sounds like another way WoW could translate better to a current console configuration,and I think it would make perfect sense to rehaul all old content and quest flow with the new world scaling tech.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul Craver View Post
    Considering the drop of subs and the huge console market, I believe, the ability pruning is the blizzard decision to attract more players (specifically console users) or expand its market. Take a look at the success of diablo and ffiv for example. What do you think?
    Nope, all wrong. Their plan to attract more console players are in regards to Overwatch. As a question has been asked some year ago, and returned with a negative of any future plan of console. And I don't hope so either, considering how much ability pruning there has to be done just to reach a damn console level. I can just see the complaints coming in, just like why most shooting games aren't connected between PC and Console.

Oh, and for Diablo, if they could've done it, it could've been on console MUCH earlier thanks to their simple UI which isn't new.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2015-11-24 at 07:12 AM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

7+ Year Old Account
    that fairy tale thing you are dreaming just aint a happening
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    Considering just how much work would be required to push WoW into console market, combined with literally everything else they were showing off at Legion, it's far more likely they release with half the things they announced at Blizzcon than it is them pushing it to console.

Not to mention this game still has way, way too many buttons and super cumbersome and archaic UI options that are either redundant or are built into the core system.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    Super cumbersome and archaic UI options that are either redundant or are built into the core system.
    Just curious, of what are these? I am not supporting console addition, but the whole UI is built to be able to be hidden away and accessed by menu. Only thing they really messed up with is the backpack, apparently.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    How could you ever do raiding with a controller? or pvp for that matter
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes it amazes me the stuff people come up with

Deleted
    I have diablo 3 on PS3, plays amazingly well.

But I just dont think WOW can move to a console without cutting too much, it would be too different from the actual game.

10+ Year Old Account
    they'd need to cut all classes back to 4 buttons.

Not gunna happen. PC users will rage.
    Hi

Deleted
    Console perhaps considering diablo and overwatch, might be the first step.
    However they also just bought candy crush and they got hearthstone so why not mobile devices as well?=) In the long run :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    they'd need to cut all classes back to 4 buttons.
    This doesn't make any sense. FFXIV is on consoles and every class has like a million abilities.

No, you are wrong and that's it.

Yeah. No. They're not porting it. They seem content with just Overwatch and D3 being the console games.