Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

When was the last time a movie genuinely scared you?

IDK if it's a low quality of Hollywood, but the last time I was genuinely scared shitless was when I saw The Grudge when I was 13. Scary movies just aren't scary anymore.

Bonus points for The Cabin in The Woods for being unexpected, but everything else put me to sleep.

Does anyone beg to differ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Salem's Lot starring the bloke out of Starsky and Hutch, sometime before I was 10 - I remember which house I watched it in and we moved from there when I was 9.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Paranormal Activity 3. Nothing even remotely scary in that movie until the last scene. That scared the shit out of me. Then again, I get afraid of horror movie trailers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

10+ Year Old Account
    The last movie that scared me was The Gate.

I can't remember because I purposely avoid horror movies, unless they're terribly made they'll scare me. I hate horror in general, I will flat out refuse to go watch them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    IDK if it's a low quality of Hollywood, but the last time I was genuinely scared shitless was when I saw The Grudge when I was 13. Scary movies just aren't scary anymore.

Bonus points for The Cabin in The Woods for being unexpected, but everything else put me to sleep.

Does anyone beg to differ?
    Older/Asian horror are the best. Not about gore or jump scares, it's about the story, and how it came about. And young Japanese girls with long straight wet hair killing you.

What scared me the worst?

The original Poltergeist. I saw it as a child. After seeing it, that night "Good night, if you're not asleep in 20 minutes, that tree you hear tapping at your window will come in and get you like it did Robbie." Yes, there was wind, that had a tree branch tapping my window.

20 years later, it came on, I thought I'd watch it. Friend asked why i was curled up in a ball in the recliner, and I realized I was still terrified by the movie. Since then, I won't watch it. GF loves horror movies, and so do I. We've watched some good, some decent, and some bad ones (Monsturd), but that one I'm not budging on.

Cabin was good. I loved the "we're in a horror movie" realization and the stereotypes. The gov't agencies watching them and watching other countries doing the same thing, hilarious and riveting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vomlix View Post
    Paranormal Activity 3. Nothing even remotely scary in that movie until the last scene. That scared the shit out of me. Then again, I get afraid of horror movie trailers.
    Meh.

There's the little jumpscare, and then theres the holy shit wtf moments. Paranormal activity thrives off former and suck at the latter.

Some guy poured his drink on me during the last scene in the first one.

I don't really get scared by the plot or themes of any movies. I'll get a jump scare now and then, but that's it.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Older/Asian horror are the best. Not about gore or jump scares, it's about the story, and how it came about. And young Japanese girls with long straight wet hair killing you.

What scared me the worst?

The original Poltergeist. I saw it as a child. After seeing it, that night "Good night, if you're not asleep in 20 minutes, that tree you hear tapping at your window will come in and get you like it did Robbie." Yes, there was wind, that had a tree branch tapping my window.

20 years later, it came on, I thought I'd watch it. Friend asked why i was curled up in a ball in the recliner, and I realized I was still terrified by the movie. Since then, I won't watch it. GF loves horror movies, and so do I. We've watched some good, some decent, and some bad ones (Monsturd), but that one I'm not budging on.

Cabin was good. I loved the "we're in a horror movie" realization and the stereotypes. The gov't agencies watching them and watching other countries doing the same thing, hilarious and riveting.
    At first, I thought the Grudge was going to be a ripoff from the ring. How wrong I was.

When someone dies at the grip of a powerful rage, a curse is born.

Fuck, I still remember the premise of that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I can't remember because I purposely avoid horror movies, unless they're terribly made they'll scare me. I hate horror in general, I will flat out refuse to go watch them.
    This is my attitude towards horror in general, too. Sometimes jump scares catch work on me and that annoys me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess an honerable mention would be the last 15 minutes of the last exorcism.

The last scene itself had the creepy factor, but what topped it was watching the proverbial shit hit the fan before the final scene (finding out the girl's alleged suitor was gay and not with her the night she apparently got pregnant, going to the house and seeing the writing on the wall, finding out about the cult etc.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Didnt scare me, but i really enjoyed The Descent, but when i was a kid Hammer House of Horrors most of those were scary as fuck.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    At first, I thought the Grudge was going to be a ripoff from the ring. How wrong I was.

When someone dies at the grip of a powerful rage, a curse is born.

Fuck, I still remember the premise of that movie.
    The 'murrica remake was decent, sequels sucked. The original ones I preferred, not the last 3 though. It just got silly. But for the first ones lower budget/base FX were mostly due to the years they came out, but were much better story wise.

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was another murica remake of a japanese horror film I never got around to seeing. All I can recall was that it was people dying whenever they heard a jaunty tune when they answered their cell phone.

Deleted
    The passion of christ just imagine somebody thought we really nailed our god to a stick?

There was another murica remake of a japanese horror film I never got around to seeing. All I can recall was that it was people dying whenever they heard a jaunty tune when they answered their cell phone.
    Wasn't it called The Call? Or something?

EDIT- no that was another movie...I know what you're talking about though. All I could find was "One Missed Call" but that's not it...I swear there was a game based off of what you're talking about too.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2015-11-24 at 05:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    The passion of christ just imagine somebody thought we really nailed our god to a stick?
    I thought that was more of a snuff film.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deep Rising. That tentecle grabbing that woman from the toilet and then forcing her down it made me not wanna use our toilets for a while >.>

Recently, Texas Chainsaw Massacre gave me the creeps. RIP Leatherface

10+ Year Old Account

No, but you did lead me to actually finding it.

It was called One Missed Call.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Wasn't it called The Call? Or something?

EDIT- no that was another movie...I know what you're talking about though.
    One missed call.