Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    We do, it is called society.
    I hope you took that as consciousness not conscienceless. Sprained wrist, having trouble typing and apparently reading auto correct too.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I hope you took that as consciousness not conscienceless. Sprained wrist, having trouble typing and apparently reading auto correct too.
    I did. It was kind of obvious
    Auto correct is a pain, and especially unsuited for the English language in my opinion.
    I read a lot of English texts (by native speakers) and the number of words that are "spelled correctly" but not the word that should be in their place is staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Does a collective consciousness such as demonstrated by the Borg from star trek really have a clear advantage over individual thought? Which would you rather have?
    Compare the lives of bees and ants to ours, would you miss your individuality and aspirations? Imagine baby-factory related complaints spouted by feminists.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Does a collective consciousness such as demonstrated by the Borg from star trek really have a clear advantage over individual thought? Which would you rather have?
    Sounds good in theory, and is true to an extent, it's just when there's so much noise going on like it is today, most people don't tap into it unless there's a very dramatic event.

I just got done watching a Rick and Morty episode about just that concept.

I'm going to go with, while it would make things a lot simpler, perhaps more efficient, and maybe even happier....

Two are better than one. While our differences often drive us apart, we still find ourselves working together, and our diversity is our strength. If we were all clones in body, one outbreak of disease would kill us all. So it would be if we were all clones of mind. The Unimind makes a bad decision, there's no one else to slap them upside the head and get them to stop. No one to drag it's sorry ass back home after it spent the whole night out drinking.

We'd be dead by morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

This is an interesting topic and I approve. Would groupthink processes be an inherent aspect of collective consciousness? If so then individual thought would have a clear advantage here, as it would be slightly more likely to not engage in such fallacies of cognition/behavior.

I have enough people in my head, I don't need the rest of the world in there, too!

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's important to separate the different components of "consciousness" .

Things like "preferences" can't really be merged since they could be mutually exclusive.

Knowledge, facts and know-how, will of course be beneficial to merged - i.e. the combined knowledge of the human race - since it will allow better decision making.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

15+ Year Old Account
    Our variety, specifically the people far from the norm, is the reason we've made it this far, I don't see a hive-mind outweighing this. Sounds like a recipe for wiping out all alternative opinions, points of view, approaches, ambitions, thoughts..

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather have it like the Protoss where you feel other people's minds instead of share other thoughts.