Deleted

Devastated dog mourns friend

A heartbreaking video shows a devastated dog crying over the death of his best friend killed in a hit and run incident.

In the sad footage, a beagle can be seen stood alongside a second dog, who lies motionless on the grass verge after being hit by a car. Clearly devastated by his friend's death, the beagle barks loudly as he stares at his dead friend.

He then begins scrabbling in the soil in distress before lying down next to the deceased pooch. The heartbreaking video was captured in Cyprus before being shared online by Newsflare.

According to the filmmaker, the dog was hit by a car that immediately drove off.

She later wrote online: "This is so emotionally heartbreaking."

Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...killed-6912855

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I don't think he's "mourning" or "crying". It's just barking because the other dog is there and isn't reacting to him. It probably doesn't give any shits about the other dog, it's just confused about the situation and reacting to anxiety.
    How would you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Deleted
    I don't think he's "mourning" or "crying". It's just barking because the other dog is there and isn't reacting to him. It probably doesn't give any shits about the other dog, it's just confused about the situation and reacting to anxiety.
    You, have no idea about dogs and still have an opinion. Basically your entire posting history summed up right here. Disgusting.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...ve-you/360784/

Dogs feel love, most mammals probably do--some species have even higher levels of love/bonding hormones than humans do.

On a personal note I will state that my 3 year old Golden Retriever was the one who found my former roommate's 5 year old cat, who was an indoor/outdoor cat and very sweet. She was confused like the dog in the video was, but I will never forget the "click" moment when she realized that he was dead. I think the dog in the video is definitely acting out of anxiety, whether the dog actually knows that the other dog is dead we do not know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not quite true.

There is scientific evidence that dogs love. Studies of their brains and hormone levels show they react differently to their owner/closest "friends" than they do to strangers, more specifically large amounts of dopamine and oxytocin. When confronted by a stranger they release less or sometimes even none, depending on their mood. They can sense emotions and react to them. They may not understand the complex reasoning behind why someone is crying or upset, but they will behave as best as they can to try to negate the situation.

So yes, it's pretty obvious that a dog can mourn or feel emotional pain over the loss of someone close to them. They won't approach our level of complex emotional states, but they do feel, and they do mourn.

10+ Year Old Account
    That seems a bit far off the road to be run over o.0
    Was the dogs body moved away from the road after being hit?

I don't think it is mourning at all

You're completely right, but with this particular video and after working with dogs for many years and being more aware of their actions/body language, it's my opinion that it doesn't look like he's "mourning and crying". It looks more like I described above. Could I be wrong? Of course.

- - - Updated - - -

And I just want to be a little clearer - what I said in no way is saying dogs can't react with emotions. I was purely speaking about this particular video and that's it.
    Dog is obviously upset/confused but actual mourning in dogs does not look like this, agreed. When dogs are sad, they are mopey, listless and generally act depressed. They might howl a bit, but dogs will also do that when a pack member is away from the house and isn't related to death/mourning as much as separation.

Deleted
    I do think that the dog understands that his friend has been badly hurt and he's deeply distressed. Whether or not he understands the concept of death is another matter.

Beagles are on the most intelligent dog breeds. After watching that video, anyone who says it isn't mourning is off their rocker. Dogs definitely understand the concept of death. When my grandpa died, and we all went into his room and stood around him in his bed, the dogs could tell something wasn't right, and started whining. I think they understood that he had passed away.

I have seen plenty of vids with dogs refusing to leave their dead friends or owners side. It's sad

10+ Year Old Account
    I truley believe dogs can and do mourn. Looks like this guy is distressed and mourning for his buddy I had a pair of Japanese Chins..unrelated, male and female. They loved each other, had kids..went everywhere together. The female was a bit older than the male and after several years she began slowing down. She became real listless one day, wouldn't eat, drink, play...just wanted to sleep...so took her to the vet and they couldn't find anything wrong and said just watch her. A morning or 2 later I woke up and found her laying in a little ball barely breathing, real cold...and the male cuddled up next to her. It was really early in the morning and the local vet wasn't open yet so I covered her and put a heating pad to keep her warm....the male always with her. Probably an hour later she passed away, quietly, peacefully...I was devastated...but didn't realize how it effected the male. He flipped when I put her in a box and we had to put him in the bedroom when we buried her in the back yard. He looked and looked for her for hours, crying...frantic. A day or 2 later he too got real listless....took him to the vet....again, nothing physical was found despite having many tests run. He passed away 4 days after the female, and I had the vet do an necropsy (sp) on him to be sure they hadn't died of some hidden disease. The vets conclussion? She had died of old age.....he had died of a broken heart. So yeah.....don't tell me animals can't mourn.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by boyzma View Post
    I truley believe dogs can and do mourn. Looks like this guy is distressed and mourning for his buddy I had a pair of Japanese Chins..unrelated, male and female. They loved each other, had kids..went everywhere together. The female was a bit older than the male and after several years she began slowing down. She became real listless one day, wouldn't eat, drink, play...just wanted to sleep...so took her to the vet and they couldn't find anything wrong and said just watch her. A morning or 2 later I woke up and found her laying in a little ball barely breathing, real cold...and the male cuddled up next to her. It was really early in the morning and the local vet wasn't open yet so I covered her and put a heating pad to keep her warm....the male always with her. Probably an hour later she passed away, quietly, peacefully...I was devastated...but didn't realize how it effected the male. He flipped when I put her in a box and we had to put him in the bedroom when we buried her in the back yard. He looked and looked for her for hours, crying...frantic. A day or 2 later he too got real listless....took him to the vet....again, nothing physical was found despite having many tests run. He passed away 4 days after the female, and I had the vet do an necropsy (sp) on him to be sure they hadn't died of some hidden disease. The vets conclussion? She had died of old age.....he had died of a broken heart. So yeah.....don't tell me animals can't mourn.
    Guys can you please stop choppin onions. :'(

Deleted
    Looks like confusion to me.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Beagles are on the most intelligent dog breeds. After watching that video, anyone who says it isn't mourning is off their rocker. Dogs definitely understand the concept of death. When my grandpa died, and we all went into his room and stood around him in his bed, the dogs could tell something wasn't right, and started whining. I think they understood that he had passed away.
    He read the mood not necessary understood the concept of death o.O

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah now that I watch the video - it was hard to do, having two beautiful dogs of my own - I can see that the dog isn't mourning, it's just confused and agitated.

It will probably mourn later, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    funny how you have a dog avatar and don't know shit about dogs.

dogs form such strong bonds with their owners