Poll: Are you lactose intolerant?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. But I have 1-8 month-periods where I have to cut back to a glass of milk a day, at most. And starting at 13 I showed all the symptoms for two years. Dealing with it is simple enough, as there are TONS of opportunities for lactose-reduced/lactose-free food. And I am speaking from 10 years old experience, having a hard time imagining it being harder now.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Yes. Not really a big issue.
    Buy lactose free stuff, if you're eating out get something without any or with very little milk in it.

A big plus is that lactose free milk does not go sour for weeks.

Deleted
    Kind of, I can't drink milk but stuff with milk or lactose in it are just fine.

I deal with it by not drinking milk, duh.

A bit. I drink non lactose milk, because ordinary makes me feel very uncomfortable. Yet, I can eat foods that are not lactose free, if I don't eat them too much. If for some reason lactose free milk isn't around, I may drink one or two glasses of it with at most minor effects, but any more than that... nope. Very nope.

No, but I never really learned to drink milk or to use milk products in cooking anyway, since both my mother and brother are allergic to milk protein (oddly, cows milk only; most people are allergic to all milk no matter the animal). I would be devastated to lose cheese and ice cream though

No thats racist.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

I'm not, but both my fiance and kid are. For him we just give him soy milk. She still drinks milk even though it makes her sick, because she loves milk. She does try to lactaid icecream though, and it seems to be good.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    I'm not, but both my fiance and kid are. For him we just give him soy milk. She still drinks milk even though it makes her sick, because she loves milk. She does try to lactaid icecream though, and it seems to be good.
    It is hard in the western world to avoid milk. I had a roommate who was lactose intolerant and she'd still get drinks from Starbucks all the time with milk and just deal with the consequences later in the bathroom.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Pretty funny that no is winning when the science shows that more people on the planet are lactose intolerant than tolerant.
    Yeah, I think 2/3rds of all humans are lactose intolerant, and even if you aren't as a child you can become some what as you grow older.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Pretty funny that no is winning when the science shows that more people on the planet are lactose intolerant than tolerant.
    This is just a hunch and may totally be false, but I imagine that some people might be slightly and never know it, where they'd register as a "yes" on whatever measure whichever scientists are using.

It also could be that there are environmental conditions involved in making people lactose intolerant and the rate is much higher in countries that don't speak english as a primary or major language and the people here are more often from english language countries.

I suspect I somewhat am.

Lactose intolerance varies by region and ethnicity. I don't think many South Americans, Africans and South-Asians frequent MMOC.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I know one picture is worth 1000 words, but I saw this one recently:

A guy X says to guy Z: "I don't drink horse/cat/bat/bear/pig/donkey milk". Z responds: "yeah, of course! that's obvious, normal". X continues: "I don't drink cow's milk". Z yells: "are you nuts?"

No adult mammal ever drinks milk, especially not of its own kind. Human body can neutralize whatever unhealthy influence it can have on it, so it goes unnoticed. For some it is too much to handle though, so they're clasified as lactose intolerant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I never used to be. milk was my favorite thing to drink. But ever since I've started on metformin for my blood sugar issues I seem to have become lactose intolerant. Not happy about that.
    That's the metformin. Ask for slow release, the normal stuff is renowned as causing gastric problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by solshine2510 View Post
    I know one picture is worth 1000 words, but I saw this one recently:

A guy X says to guy Z: "I don't drink horse/cat/bat/bear/pig/donkey milk". Z responds: "yeah, of course! that's obvious, normal". X continues: "I don't drink cow's milk". Z yells: "are you nuts?"

No adult mammal ever drinks milk, especially not of its own kind. Human body can neutralize whatever unhealthy influence it can have on it, so it goes unnoticed. For some it is too much to handle though, so they're clasified as lactose intolerant.
    But its not just caused by drinking milk. Cooked dairy will also cause the same problems. Things sweetened with lactase too. So, no, its not just because of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes I get chronic diarrhea when I drink milk/ice cream. Put I don't give a shit (huehuehue) it's too good to pass up.

I am slowly becoming.

I imagine most of the people on an English language website for nerds are Caucasian.

http://milk.procon.org/view.resource...ourceID=000661

I am, I've had it since I was a kid, it's weird though as it only really affects me if I eat too much dairy products. If I eat say a few pieces of pizza and I had cheese on a sandwich for lunch and decided to eat ice cream that night and had a glass or two of milk I'll be in for a painful night. Basically I limit my dairy intake and only splurge here and there. I always found it odd that I need a certain threshold of dairy for the lactose intolerance to kick in.

Just a couple of days ago I found out that I am indeed lactose intolerant. And I'm barely 22 years old. It's a hard life I'll be living if I don't want to be a farting machine.

I'm Asian so that basically answers it. I deal with it by avoiding it as much as possible.