Poll: Which do you think has the highest chance of seeing competitive play?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Which of the 3 next LOE Legendaries has a higher chance of seeing competitive play?

So, after wing 1 and 2 we have Reno and Brann out. Reno ended up being the biggest surprise of the two since almost everyone considered him a gimmicky card that would never see competitive play outside of a few casual decks. Brann is also seeing competitive play (Purple's Malylock deck performed extremely well at Dreamhack) but most people considered Brann the best legendary of the expansion prior to the release of the 1st wing.

Now we have 3 legendaries left: Sir Finley Mrrgglton, Elise Starseeker and Arch-Thief Rafaam. Which do you think has the highest chance of seeing competitive play? Do you feel one of them is being severely underestimated by the community?

Maybe Arch-Thief might have some usage? I dunno...Sir Finley might have some niche usage, but I really don't see Elise being competitive...

10+ Year Old Account
    Mrrgglton should enable some deck types for certain classes (e.g. aggro Warrior, control Hunter, playable Shaman, etc).

Starseeker is trash.
    Rafaam is an "I've got the fun in my sights"-able Ysera that doesn't even need to be dealt with immediately.
    Last edited by Frumpy Frumpy Frak; 2015-11-28 at 11:21 PM.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

I'm at least gonna try out Arch-Thief Rafaam in some control decks. A lot of control decks lack minions they can just play whenever to put on some pressure, and this guy is just the kind of card you can just toss out there for your enemy to remove while still allowing you to retain the value of his artifact.

Kinda sucks that they cost 10 mana, though. The 'fill the board with 3/3s' is the only one that looks any good... unless you know your board won't be cleared so you can play the +10/+10.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Simulacrum pretty much nailed my line of thinking. I like the fact that he provides a turn 10 play. And it's kind of nice that he rewards picking the right spell. I really like Discovery cards in general though.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

I guess any of these legendaries can be used in certain type of decks. Sir Finley Mrrgglton could see play in shamans to get a better hero power, or something like aggro warrior because arming up isn't part of their role. Elise Starseeker only seems to be viable in mill rogue, otherwise she's way too slow. Arch-Thief Rafaam seems like a nice card for control decks, even if its BGH bait. Atleast they don't seem all useless.

I will put the Murloc in my Reno Jackson Shaman.

Probably Arch-Thief rafaam. Consistent minion, that provides you with a 10 mana play of your choosing. I don't see any serious deck using the other 2. Replacing the hero power sounds nice, but breaks all synergy with class cards. Especially if you cant get the one you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtarc1987 View Post
    So, after wing 1 and 2 we have Reno and Brann out. Reno ended up being the biggest surprise of the two since almost everyone considered him a gimmicky card that would never see competitive play outside of a few casual decks. Brann is also seeing competitive play (Purple's Malylock deck performed extremely well at Dreamhack) but most people considered Brann the best legendary of the expansion prior to the release of the 1st wing.
    Can people stop saying everyone thought Reno wouldn't work because they personally thought it, kthx. Streamers are really amateur (as hearthstone is still in amateur brackets due to age) so naturally their predictions are amusing at best. Trump is usually my favourite for a good laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Can people stop saying everyone thought Reno wouldn't work because they personally thought it, kthx. Streamers are really amateur (as hearthstone is still in amateur brackets due to age) so naturally their predictions are amusing at best. Trump is usually my favourite for a good laugh.
    Does reno work, though? Yeah, a bunch of people are running him now, but a bunch of people always run the new cards for the first few weeks. I mean, when Varian was new I couldn't go a CW game without getting him dropped on me, but now I haven't seen him in months. The only deck Reno seems genuinely good in is RenoLock, and even there it's more because it empowers the already pretty overpowered warlock hero power even further than it is because reno is an inherently good card. And because warlock has 3-4 different board clears to choose from.

Even in RenoLock, you really miss having doubles of a lot of your cards.

Deleted
    That's why I said "almost everyone considered". Obviously there existed people that thought he would be good but the vocal majority considered him a gimmicky card (just look at polls from fan sites, reviews, threads about Reno,etc). If this happened because people are easily influenced by streamers I don't know, but it's most likely the case. That doesn't change the fact that the huge majority were against Reno being good.
    Last edited by mmoc9f0bced709; 2015-11-30 at 01:25 AM.

Lifecoach knew the potential of it. He already made like 5 Reno decks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    Does reno work, though? Yeah, a bunch of people are running him now, but a bunch of people always run the new cards for the first few weeks. I mean, when Varian was new I couldn't go a CW game without getting him dropped on me, but now I haven't seen him in months. The only deck Reno seems genuinely good in is RenoLock, and even there it's more because it empowers the already pretty overpowered warlock hero power even further than it is because reno is an inherently good card. And because warlock has 3-4 different board clears to choose from.

I don't think its an amazing card, but it's CLEAR it would work in a few decks that could hold with it.

Also source on this huge majority Curtarc1987? These forums were conflicted on them.
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted

Also source on this huge majority Curtarc1987? These forums were conflicted on them.
    Hearthpwn being the top one, LiquidHearth also, but you can find threads on Reno in the official forum, Reddit and other sites. Most popular streamers were also against Reno working (with the exception of Lifecoach).

Elise Starseeker is getting a worse treatment compared to Reno. Going by the same sources she is considered by the huge majority as being nothing more than a gimmicky, trash card. The same can be said when looking at the opinion of streamers. I think the only one that said she has potential in fatigue decks was Reynad. If she ends up finding a home she will also be a surprise.

People seem to agree that Sir Fingley is the one with the highest potential and Arch Thief Rafaam is playable but a worse version of Ysera and because of that will not see play (or very occasional play).

Again, just speaking about the vocal majority. There are people defending Elise Starseeker in a thread I am reading right now in Hearthpwn.
    Last edited by mmoc9f0bced709; 2015-11-30 at 01:52 AM.

I've only visited hearthpwn and after writing it off as worse than here didn't return. I imagine liquidhearth might be better but TL based forums always suffered from being extremely sheepish/closedminded behind a few keystone posters who decided the majorities voice. That's the general issue with hearthstone right now (since it's new). A few people who play a lot have a very large say, and given the games frustrating RNG aspects compared to other card games I imagine it keeps out a lot of serious TCG players (definitely the case for a few people I know)

I don't think its an amazing card, but it's CLEAR it would work in a few decks that could hold with it.
    Right, which goes for any card. By that criteria, anyone saying that any card wouldn't work was also wrong, which makes it kind of a meaningless criteria.

Deleted
    The Arch-Thief is horrible and will not see competitive play. Neither of his 3 cards are good enough value/mana cost and he himself is a 9 mana BGH'able card.
    Starseeker is just a fun card for lols and giggles. They should have dropped the map part completely.
    The murloc at least might see some play but in decks with it you would need it drawn turn 1-2-3 or the whole point goes away.

15+ Year Old Account
    Elise is just way too slow. You have to draw and play her, then draw and play the spell, then draw and play the next minion. Chances are good the game is already over before you even get halfway through that cycle.

Arch-Thief MIGHT be good for a lategame control deck. Hard to tell how useful the 10 mana spells will be.

I'm actually most excited for the murloc since it could make some unorthodox decks work. You can usually guess which type of deck your opponent is playing just by the class, picking a hero power on turn 1 to best suit your matchup is pretty good. Even late game he can be of use if you're looking for some extra reach with steady shot or want to armor up vs a freeze mage or something. Very situational, can provide some awesome moments. The drawback is obviously that you have to draw it in time to be useful, and you might not get a good choice.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Finley will see play, the decks he enables probably won't be top tier but he's going to be key for Aggro Warriors, Control Hunters and any Shaman list that doesn't want to play Thunderbluff Valiant.

People will flirt with Rafaam before swapping back to Ysera.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post

I agree with this completely while at the same time am actually enjoying having a deck with as many different cards as Renolock has, it's just like in Magic where you run silver bullet cards MD to punish the most common plays in the metagame and as before it was difficult in your standard Handlock to fit anything after you run 2 of everything Reno is a justifiable excuse to go that route and look at tech cards or just plain solid cards that didn't make the cut before because of how OP Molten Giant and Friends are. I've seen more than a few Black Knights lately which is something you used to always see then disappeared for awhile, MC Tech, Hogger, Shadow Bolt and Bane of Doom.

I think it's only inevitable that as the cardpool expands that the power of Reno will just increase as a 30 card deck lends itself much more readily to singletons and a full heal will never be bad. Allowing of course for quality Handlock cards to be made and the meta to allow for that kind of diversity, might end up in a situation where the decks are so crazy you're better off with doubles of everything than a full heal.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.