Question about openVPN

I started using a earthVPN and connected to a different country's server. It connected me to a different IP address, but my question is why did the IP address on my laptop stay the same? I went to whatismyipaddress.com before and after connecting to the vpn server, and it still shows me having the same IP, am I not understanding something?

- - - Updated - - -

anyone?
    help please!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slizardxoxo View Post
    I started using a earthVPN and connected to a different country's server. It connected me to a different IP address, but my question is why did the IP address on my laptop stay the same? I went to whatismyipaddress.com before and after connecting to the vpn server, and it still shows me having the same IP, am I not understanding something?
    Well you still do have the same IP - the step that appears to be missing in your case is the change to the routing table that would direct all traffic through the VPN.
    This can either be due to misconfiguration or insufficient rights. Did you start OpenVPN as administrator - right click, run as admin or set its properties to be started as admin?

Hard question to say without seeing it. You probably used it incorrectly. Are you really sure you were connected on the VPN and you restarted your browser?

10+ Year Old Account
    OpenVPN client does not by default route all traffic through the VPN. Be sure to enable the proxy feature.. Otherwise OpenVPN will generally default to only using the VPN to connect to IPs on the VPN that you wouldn't be able to access otherwise. (IE have no other route to).