Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritual View Post
    When was there a war to get lgbt people accepted in europe? That change came from within, not from war or external sources
    We're talking about social cultural evolution in general. LGBT rights are late fallout from the civil rights movements of previous centuries, we're just acting out victories that were won before we were born.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We're talking about social cultural evolution in general. LGBT rights are late fallout from the civil rights movements of previous centuries, we're just acting out victories that were won before we were born.
    Is that why it was classified as a mental illness for so long there?

7+ Year Old Account
    It took time because of a lack of scientific knowledge. Until the last 100 years we couldn't study DNA very well, so we couldn't know which issues were inherently natural or if they were connected to a mistake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_r...y_or_territory

Doesn't look like there is as widespread support for it as people like to claim?

10+ Year Old Account
    Russia is westernish and a part of what is considered the civilized world. Africa, in general, is not.

Plus if we try to swoop in and impose our values, most of the people in here defending LGBT rights would be the first people to make a thread about evil American imperialism and just in general everyone everywhere would complain about it short of LGBT rights groups.

Its lose lose, with either LGBT Africans getting persecuted or America looking bad for trying to stop it. Pro tip: We only care about preventing one of those things and its not Africans getting persecuted.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Russia is westernish and a part of what is considered the civilized world. Africa, in general, is not.

Plus if we try to swoop in and impose our values, most of the people in here defending LGBT rights would be the first people to make a thread about evil American imperialism and just in general everyone everywhere would complain about it short of LGBT rights groups.

Its lose lose, with either LGBT Africans getting persecuted or America looking bad for trying to stop it. Pro tip: We only care about preventing one of those things and its not Africans getting persecuted.
    I'm actually not against imperialism by default.

Countries are just ever changing cultures and ethnic groups squeezed inside a little or big border of land trying to compete and survive in this man-made savage world.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I'm actually not against imperialism by default.
    When are you against it?

7+ Year Old Account
    https://en.wikipedia.org

Doesn't look like there is as widespread support for it as people like to claim?
    As far as adoption, isn't that more of a privilege? I thought it was normal for many agencies to be highly discriminative, such as against single people.
    Last edited by PC2; 2015-12-01 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Criticizing Africa would be racist.
    I'm pretty sure Africa is an entire continent

<NOPE>

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2015-12-01 at 05:28 PM.

When was there a war to get lgbt people accepted in europe? That change came from within, not from war or external sources
    Exactly, you can't force someone to do something long term. As long as you leave, they stop doing it.
    If you go there and say "you should live this way", then it's very likely that they will see it as an invasion of their culture and way of live and fight it, regardless of how good the "way of life" actually is.

I was just explaining why we didn't have to fight any wars or major civil unrest this time around. Culture just eventually caught up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    I'm pretty sure Africa is an entire continent
    Continentist!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    No what I'm saying is that there are no easy answers and if you brush it off with trite lines like "no good comes from interfering" the price you pay is having to sit back and watch as injustices and atrocities occur while you do nothing.

Your choices are interventionism or non interventionism and both are plagued with moral hazards.
    Right, and if you are a strong supporter of whatever god you will now have to sit and watch as atrocities occur on the street during the gay parade. Just because you think you have the moral high ground doesn't mean that you actually have the moral high ground. When you try to force you value's on other peoples you are being wrong, no matter how good these value's may be. At the most you may explain your value's and try to "inform" people as its called, but informing isn't the same as sanctions given to those that will not comply. Its also worthy to note that aggressive forms of "informing" people is the same as forcing them.

I think it's better to let nations come to enlightenment about LGBT naturally. Sucks for those in Africa now though, but I think Africa will eventually come around. It's a battle for hearts and minds. They need to watch a lot of 'Will and Grace' on TV.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    From what I've read it's us messing with their culture that caused a lot of this in the first place. Christian groups trying (and succeeding) in getting laws to criminalize homosexuality passed there and spreading false information. If anyone wants to fact check me (please do, I'm curious about all this) I learned it from the "God Loves Uganda" documentary.
    You're implicating yourself personally in being a missionary to Africa to criminalize homosexuality?

I will not have this sickness in Uganda!

Deleted
    Impossible to change, should halt immigration from there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Africa is a country held in another point in time whos laws, political spectrum and social order is hundreds, if not a couple of thousand years held back when compared to western nations. There is little anything can be done outside of applying some half arsed world wide law by the UN, and even then africa would just find a loophole in it.

Much like with how russia covers up its homophobia with its nation pride, africa won't advice quick enough to match with the rest of the world, even when it can have amazing people like Nelson Mandela, who tried to fight for the rests of LGBT in africa, society itself can take far longer to advance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    even when it can have amazing people like Nelson Mandela, who tried to fight for the rests of LGBT in africa, society itself can take far longer to advance.
    What the actual fuck? A terrorist is "amazing"?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Africa is a country held in another point in time whos laws, political spectrum and social order is hundreds, if not a couple of thousand years held back when compared to western nations. There is little anything can be done outside of applying some half arsed world wide law by the UN, and even then africa would just find a loophole in it.
    Progress is occurring in Africa. Their economies continue to grow, medicine and technological leapfrogging are having a positive impact. The problem comes when leftists convince Westerners that they are responsible for other regions misbehaviors and try to force masochistic policies onto everyone.