Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Does America have a lot of contemporary Christmas songs?

Genuine curiosity because here in the UK we have probably over 100 Christmas songs from the 70s onward. It became somewhat a traditional obsession for musical artists to fight for a Christmas number 1. Just to clarify I don't mean child known traditional songs like Jingle Bells, Rudolf, Frosty, etc but songs like from Slade, East-17, Mariah Carrie, Wham, The Pogues, etc

List of examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A8KT365wlA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jbdgZidu8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8gmARGvPlI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mg7ok8dmDU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqBF7TiyATo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kmPz5IbU90

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8uEmcBNhFY

Well, there's Mariah's "All I Want for Christmas is You ". Then there's "Christmas in Hollis". I think it is more likely none of them really catch on and not that there aren't any. I mean, there's not much improving on "White Christmas" or "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". And "Baby, It's Cold Outside" which isn't even a Christmas song.

15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone else that think these compilations ruin every move in downtown public life?.
    Hearing these cover songs and poorly made new songs streaming out from stores, cafés, radio for 1,5 month is ugh for me.

Another reason to love the internet, onlineshopping
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    silent night is the best christmas song.

classics are best. these new pop christmas songs are shithouse.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    This brings back the most warmest memories...

I could go on and on, damn I miss being a kid ;_;

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    silent night is the best christmas song.

classics are best. these new pop christmas songs are shithouse.
    Think "Oh Holy Night" trumps all the spirituals.

Not sure if this counts as contempo but Vince Guaraldi's A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965) is pretty classic.

These new Christmas songs are a plague, because most radio stations seem to go totally insane every Christmas and play nothing than that one "totally cool new Chrismas song" all day every day till March.
    Hearing "Last Christmas" always makes me want to break something nowadays. It is the epitome of cheesy kitsch and has been played ad nauseam every winter for the past few years. And it has absolutely no connection to Christmas at all aside from the title that is repeated in every second sentence.

I really like this one! It didn't really take off though. I wish it would!

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, there is also this one that we hear a lot, in lots of versions...

And these ones too:

"Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Having worked retail during the Christmas season I now hate all Christmas songs forever. D:
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Having worked retail during the Christmas season I now hate all Christmas songs forever. D:
    I'm working at a grocery store. The main problem with Christmas songs is that we only hear about a dozen of them, repeated in a dozen different versions, in French or in English. I'm exagerating, but not by much... There are about 500 years of Christmas songs to hear, or about 70 years of recorded songs. There's more than Jingle Bells, the First Noel, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas or Silver Bells out there...
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Deleted
    So by the jist of the thread im assuming NO

Enjoy the amazing TSO. with some dope lighting!

And another, Wizards in winter..

10+ Year Old Account
    Hypothetically, yes, but in practise, no.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Hypothetically, yes, but in practise, no.

I personally couldn't imagine Christmas without those feel good cheesy post 70s Christmas songs... If we were stuck with those we'd be depressed

10+ Year Old Account
    I always fall back on a Fairy Tail of New York...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-