Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Cool, maybe us Greeks should just start letting the hordes of migrants onto airplanes bound for Canada. I mean, you guys would have no issues with that, right, since you're so much better than the rest of us, right?
    It's not that simple. Canada is focusing on refugee camps and screening them there.
    Greece just needs to do the best it can and use their voice to push towards ending the conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by SidFwuff View Post
    Didn't the Greek government already threaten to do that to Germany because Germany wouldn't give them more free money?

Is that all you have left? "We'll dump refugees on you, and they might be... TERRORISTS!"
    I was being facetious, Bright Eyes. And one Greek politician said that, not "The Greek government".

Oh leave the Americans alone for Christ's sake.

Over the past century they get condemned whether they step up or step back. They still get shit on for Afghanistan- you can't blame them for switching back and forth every couple of decades to try and appease the rest of the world.
    I'm an American. I think we are shirking our responsibility to play games while millions suffer.

So how many refugees will you personally be taking into your care, Tennisace? 'Cuz you're a real moral and upstanding person, right? No doubt your home will be filled with unfortunate people whose lives you'll seek to do nothing but improve.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    So how many refugees will you personally be taking into your care, Tennisace? 'Cuz you're a real moral and upstanding person, right? No doubt your home will be filled with unfortunate people whose lives you'll seek to do nothing but improve.
    He just wants all of them to make a mess of Greece, Germany, Sweden, and everywhere else until they're proven safe and then they'll take women and children only. It's pretty convenient really.

So I wonder how many the people who support this are going to take in to their homes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    I am looking into volunteering and doing my part. I have some clothing which I intend to donate as well to the arriving refugees among other things.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I am looking into volunteering and doing my part. I have some clothing which I intend to donate as well to the arriving refugees among other things.
    I throw my old clothes into a charity bin instead of a trash bin as well, as do most people I know. That isn't exactly saying much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not giving only old clothes. I have unworn clothing that I will give among other things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notchris View Post
    You're the nation that's looking to exclude single adult males refugees. Those are the people that are fleeing being forced into fighting the war.
    We're not excluding "single male refugees". And the population we're pulling refugees from are already in refugee camps; they're already out of the fighting. We're taking families, women and children, and LGBT individuals (including single gay men!), because the challenges those groups face in the camps are greater than those faced by straight single men.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    We're not excluding "single male refugees". And the population we're pulling refugees from are already in refugee camps; they're already out of the fighting. We're taking families, women and children, and LGBT individuals (including single gay men!), because the challenges those groups face in the camps are greater than those faced by straight single men.
    You really think that's the reason your country's not taking single fighting-age men?

For real?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    So I wonder how many the people who support this are going to take in to their homes?
    In what world do you think refugees are usually rooming with existing families? We're getting them set up in their own homes.

If you want to ask how many people who support this are willing to have these people as neighbours, I'll say I bloody well do. Waterloo region is committed to taking in (I believe) 1000 of the 25k that are coming first, and we're not going to be stopping there. The Mennonite community here is significantly invested into handling this issue; my graduate society is taking donations for welcome packages for refugees this week, through one of the Mennonite programs that have been set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sama-81 View Post
    I condemned nothing, apart from the ludicrous narrative of Canada "leading the way" the OP had going.
    I'm not the OP.

Lila Blomma implied Canada should be taking a lot more than 25,000 refugees- my posts were directly replying to her and pointing that, as things stand, Canada and Sweden (which is her country) are aiming for the same amount of refugees per capita in 2016.

I was being facetious, Bright Eyes. And one Greek politician said that, not "The Greek government".
    Your politicians don't represent your country?

That'd...explain a lot, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I'm an American. I think we are shirking our responsibility to play games while millions suffer.
    Well then I offer my condolences. Whether your country does more or does less, you'll still be criticized for it.

Single gay men? So terrorists just have to take one cock in the ass in a refugee camp then they are eligible to go to Canada? Sounds like a good trade-off.

10+ Year Old Account
    You really think that's the reason your country's not taking single fighting-age men?

For real?
    Yes. Because we're perfectly willing to take men with families, and gay men. It has nothing to do with them being men, it's that children are a humanitarian concern, and women and gay men face a lot more human rights abuses than straight men do, in these camps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    Single gay men? So terrorists just have to take one cock in the ass in a refugee camp then they are eligible to go to Canada? Sounds like a good trade-off.
    You've managed to come off as both homophobic and Islamophobic. Good job.

In what world do you think refugees are usually rooming with existing families? We're getting them set up in their own homes.

If you want to ask how many people who support this are willing to have these people as neighbours, I'll say I bloody well do. Waterloo region is committed to taking in (I believe) 1000 of the 25k that are coming first, and we're not going to be stopping there. The Mennonite community here is significantly invested into handling this issue; my graduate society is taking donations for welcome packages for refugees this week, through one of the Mennonite programs that have been set up.

As a note, in Sweden people will get paid by the state to receive refugees into their homes. It's really not that farfetched to then expect that the really hardline proponents for receiving more refugees do so for free instead, imo.

Edit: Reason being, ofc, that we already received so many that there are no housing left.

I'm not the OP.

Lila Blomma implied Canada should be taking a lot more than 25,000 refugees- my posts were directly replying to her and pointing that, as things stand, Canada and Sweden (which is her country) are aiming for the same amount of refugees per capita in 2016.

Your politicians don't represent your country?

That'd...explain a lot, actually.

Well then I offer my condolences. Whether your country does more or does less, you'll still be criticized for it.
    No doubt about that. But it comes with the territory. We will gladly accept the criticism over someone else, someone less benign, being the world power.

Yes. Because we're perfectly willing to take men with families, and gay men. It has nothing to do with them being men, it's that children are a humanitarian concern, and women and gay men face a lot more human rights abuses than straight men do, in these camps.
    Well, any fighting age man can go back and fight for Syria, regardless of where he sticks his dick. And one man is not more deserving of refuge than another just because he sticks it to other men.

That adds a whole new level of stupid to this issue.

Your government just wants to minimize the chances of ISIS insurgents getting in. Shockingly they tend to be young unaccompanied males, the group your government wants nothing to do with. You're just dressing it up in Social Justice drapery.

Quote Originally Posted by Telomerase View Post
    Ok Mr. Genius that doesn't understand geography 1010, how would you magically boost the population that much, and fast enough?
    lol. first of all you don't necessarily need to boos the population, second you don't need to completely cut immigration, you just need to increase the birth rate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    Considering the background checks for refugees are complete shit in most countries, it's probably more than fine if you just claim to be gay. In 2016 we'll probably see a report stating that all of a sudden half of the Syrian population is homosexual.