Remote computer for in-laws, storing photos and movies (NAS)

Never embarked on something like this before. I'd like to set up a NAS box for my entire family to share photos, movies, music, and files. Something that everyone has access to that would be stored at my house. Any options for under $400? I was thinking like 4TB space, with possible room to upgrade in the future. If someone can point me in the right direction, or where I can learn the basics or "things you must know" to create one of these for the holidays. Thank you so much!

thats very nice... why dont you just upload them to a known cloud storage service provider?

who is going to keep your box uptodate? who is going to do vulnerability assessment? who is going to back up whatever is going to be stored there? where are you going to store the back up?

too much trouble....

All you need is an old computer or build a super cheap computer with enough storage for everything you want to put on it. The hard part is figuring out what software to use on it. You could go with something like plex for video and music files or use a dedicated NAS operating system like freeNAS.

Or you could get something like this and add hard drives to it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Synology-Stati.../dp/B00OZ0CTAU
    Last edited by Helieos; 2015-12-02 at 03:50 AM.
    ​MoBo: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | CPU: Intel 4770k @ 4.5Ghz | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 4Gb | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB @ 1866Mhz | Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, ADATA SU800 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 3TB HDD | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 80+ Gold 850W | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 | Case: NZXT H510 Elite

Deleted
    This is what I am planning in the new year after Home Cinema is built.

Nas Enclosure link £99

5TB External Hard Drive £104

Rip the hard drives out the enclosures, put in the NAS enclosure. have 10TB of storage spare which is enough for a life times worth of storage.

Have a look for US suppliers of a similar type of set up

Having a shared dropbox folder might be easier for your less technically inclined relatives to use.