Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    I agree. Despite how anyone feels about him, his threads generate conversation. While his methods might hurt his image, it's nothing serious, especially not so serious to deserve a permaban.

He makes a topic. People discuss said topic.

The worse things in these threads are the "Oh, it's a Jaylock thread" people who feel the need to point it out every 5 seconds without contributing themselves. Thanks for the warning, the hundreds of other posts didn't quite get the message by.

And then of course, you have people whining about how he should be perma-banned because they lack the self control to either ignore his threads or start a conversation out of it.

But this is off topic. Meh.
    Facts right here. But yea botters deserve to be banned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Deleted
    I think if the person is a first time offender, they should be slapped with a 6 month ban.

If they do it again, by all means drop the hammer and perma-ban them.

People make mistakes all the time and get into stuff they shouldn't. If I had the decision to choose between handing out a temp and a perma, I'd choose the temp first, and explain to the user when the ban begins, and when the ban has ended, if it happens again, there would be no mercy. There will be no misunderstandings, and the user will probably behave better on the game too; especially after being given a second chance.

The reality is, if they're botting to make money, they don't care. They'll just use the money they make from their illicit activities and buy a new account and start over; probably the same day even. All they'd have to do is buy a couple battle chests, set up a couple RAF accounts and they can hit max level in maybe a day or two. The malicious botters honestly just don't care.

Deleted
    Farm botters - yes.
    Spam botters - no, you can just ignore them.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I agree that its against the ToS, but really what harm are they doing. Its an addon that just controls your character without you being there. You could do all the same things a "bot" could do if you were at your computer anyway.

Just genuinely curious to know why people feel permanant bans are necessary instead of say a 24 hour suspension, or 1 week suspension?
    It's to prevent them from still doing it over and over again. What is a great way to prevent a child from stealing? Call their parents where they get a slap on the wrist? Do like many countries do, cut off their hand. One, it is harder to steal with a missing hand. Two, seeing someone lose a hand or with a missing hand is a good deterrent from stealing. Three, and most important, they LEARN THEIR LESSON.

I work for a different company that runs a MMO. You know what we do if we catch you boting? We ban your account and use your credit card information / user information against you in court. You know those 10k users that get banned every few weeks, those end up being a court case eventually and guess who gets to foot the legal bills. Ding ding ding! The person who got caught boting. It is perfectly legal, within the TOS and EULA, and part of your contract with your credit card company.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erixi View Post
    It's to prevent them from still doing it over and over again. What is a great way to prevent a child from stealing? Call their parents where they get a slap on the wrist? Do like many countries do, cut off their hand. One, it is harder to steal with a missing hand. Two, seeing someone lose a hand or with a missing hand is a good deterrent from stealing. Three, and most important, they LEARN THEIR LESSON.

I work for a different company that runs a MMO. You know what we do if we catch you boting? We ban your account and use your credit card information / user information against you in court. You know those 10k users that get banned every few weeks, those end up being a court case eventually and guess who gets to foot the legal bills. Ding ding ding! The person who got caught boting. It is perfectly legal, within the TOS and EULA, and part of your contract with your credit card company.
    Sounds pretty extreme, and like an undoubted way to go broke very quickly. Not only will people recognize your company as one who isn't afraid to go after users in a legal setting, but one that has a very repressive environment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    Botters deserve a perma ban when trollers are perma banned
    How did I not see this earlier. SO MUCH YES!

Bots should be banned forever and ever, and ever

10+ Year Old Account
    Botters should be permabanned only with the exception that the account was hacked. There's no excuse for it. You know that you're downloading illegal software that goes against Blizzards Terms of Use. They (the botters) are using something to get an upper hand on other players that they would otherwise not have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    This is an honest question. Do botters really deserve perma bans?

The reason I ask this is because there are so many benefits that botters have brought to the game world. They have made materials more accessible and less expensive for people to use to craft with. The auction house is stable because of the constant inflow of materials of all kinds. What do we gain by permanently banning botters?

Now I do not condone botting, but all I am asking is do they really deserve to be perma banned because of having some sort of program to automatically do tasks they could do themselves?
    Are you really asking that question?

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

Deleted
    Botting is one of the worst cheats, as it destroys matchmade gameplay as like battlegrounds.

I wont wonder if many pvp players stopped playing because of bots in bgs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Destroy all botters. No mercy, no second chances, just nuke the account on the first offense.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Deleted
    Blizz should do one of those "cheater servers".

Sent all the bots to one server, see how they like it then when there is nobody left to buy their crap.