Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Yet another fantasy-land delusion, that you're able to eye out the stoners and get rid of them on a whim.

If they show up noticeably stoned to work, why do you need a drug test to fire them?

Topic is about pre-employment drug testing, which has nothing to do with "being able to eye out the stoners" anyway.

Nobody is talking about a company not having insurance, (except the right-wingers with their usual reality denying tactics) just dodging the delusion that insurance companies are going to be the "iron wall" that keeps marijuana illegal. Or that the rest of society somehow operates at the whim of insurance. Get real, bro.
    im not your bro thank goodness. Also, I never said insurance companies are the firewall to keep marijuana illegal. I said, as others have tried to tell your dumb ass is that a company has a right to declare a workplace as drug free and require a pre employment drug screen and not hire you if it comes back positive. Also, they have a right for random drug screens of employees or a gruff screen after an accident happens within the workplace. Also, no insurance company is going to insure a business where drug use is condoned and encouraged. If you believe otherwise, go open your own business with some employees, encourage and condone drug use, then come back and let us know how it worked out for you.

As far as being a manager and observing an employee whom I have reason to believe to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, I have every right and intention to bring it to HR's attention to protect the employee from himself if it means his job or not, the other employees, myself, and the company.

One day when you're old and mature enough, you'll finally understand. Provided you live long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
    im not your bro thank goodness. Also, I never said insurance companies are the firewall to keep marijuana illegal. I said, as others have tried to tell your dumb ass is that a company has a right to declare a workplace as drug free and require a pre employment drug screen and not hire you if it comes back positive. Also, they have a right for random drug screens of employees or a gruff screen after an accident happens within the workplace. Also, no insurance company is going to insure a business where drug use is condoned and encouraged. If you believe otherwise, go open your own business with some employees, encourage and condone drug use, then come back and let us know how it worked out for you.

As far as being a manager and observing an employee whom I have reason to believe to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, I have every right and intention to bring it to HR's attention to protect the employee from himself if it means his job or not, the other employees, myself, and the company.

One day when you're old and mature enough, you'll finally understand. Provided you live long enough.
    I feel like you may have watched a bit too much Reefer Madness. Someone smoking a joint at night doesn't materially impact the riskiness of their behavior during the day.

Among others, most software companies don't drug test. I assume that this is because they like having developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Asethi View Post
    I kind of feel like hair testing is a violation of privacy in a way, my armpits feel weird now and the whole situation has left me with a uncomfortable feeling.

Not like I have anything to hide, but is a hair drug test REALLY necessary? Ugh
    This thread is about the fact you DO have something to hide and want to know if it will stay hidden...

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
    I'm 30, but I admit I don't understand the complete obsession people over 50 seem to have with insurance. Maybe it's some sort of traumatic experience in your life that has caused you to become obsessed with it.

I don't think there's a reason to rant on about insurance any more, since at no point did it actually relate to the topic. But you do what you feel is right, and keep babbling about it if it makes you feel good. Keep letting me know how the 'real world' works.

Oh, and I'll stay off your lawn next time.
    Last edited by Daerio; 2015-12-06 at 01:08 PM.

Update - Just passed today so relieved

Hi there, looking for some input here and maybe i'm over-reacting..

Basically I've never been a huge pot head or anything, I smoked 2 or 3 times between April and June of this year and stopped. I had an interview for a warehouse job at the beginning of October and had 2 interviews. After the 2nd interview, they told me they hired somebody back and they would call me if something opened. Now I figured this was there way of telling me they were not interested. I was out on vacation in November, I was at one of my good friends birthday party and everybody was smoking, I was offered some and at first I didn't want to smoke and told my friends I was maybe waiting to hear back from a job and long story short kind of felt pressured into smoking. I can honestly say I only had 2 or 3 little hits and did not feel high in the slightest bit. I smoked on November 13th, I got back home on November 16th and got a call back from the job I interviewed with almost 2 months ago offering me the position. They said they had to run a background check which would take a couple weeks, and then go ahead with a normal drug test. Now my immediate instinct was to go purchase one of those over the counter drug tests from the store. On the 19th I went out and bought one and surprisingly passed. Now im not sure if its because I didn't have enough in my system for it to show, or if the product was faulty...

Two more weeks go by and I bought another over the counter drug test just to be sure, this was a couple days ago on the 2nd. I pass AGAIN, and these things have over a 99% success rate. So today is the big day where I meet with the company to take my drug test, I show up and they tell me its going to be a hair test. I've NEVER had a hair test in my entire life and my current job is one of high security clearance and not even that does a hair test, so why would a warehouse job require one? Anyways I was pretty nervous driving to the drug test place to give a hair sample.

They took it from my armpit's seeing as my hair on my head is too short. They didn't pull it from the roots or anything they just snipped off some and put it in a little bag. I've read that people say to cut your hair after smoking, but I don't cut armpit hair and I never would of thought that they would do a drug test testing my armpit hair... Do you think that even though I passed 2 urine tests within 2-3 weeks of smoking only 2 or 3 minor hits of pot, that I will pass my hair follicle test? I've heard that they can go back a while (sometimes years) but I'm wondering if I barely have enough in my system to even show considering both urine tests were 99% accurate and I passed.

Has anyone else had a similar situation or know anything about hair drug tests? I've google'd and can't find some solid info and hoping to post on here maybe to find some advice. I know I shouldn't have smoked almost a month ago, but I figured it wasn't a big deal and I wouldn't hear back from the job I had an interview at...won't find out my results til Tuesday hoping for the best.
    Nope never had a hair test, wouldn't care if I did, never done a drug in my life

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Nope never had a hair test, wouldn't care if I did, never done a drug in my life
    Which is why I made a comment earlier about a Company's Banned Medication policy. You may have never done anything illegal but the prescription you take for your arthritis or migraines could be prohibited by the Company. Nothing says awesome like losing a job opportunity because the pain killers you took a month ago after having dental work done shows up on a follicle test.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    I'm 30, but I admit I don't understand the complete obsession people over 50 seem to have with insurance. Maybe it's some sort of traumatic experience in your life that has caused you to become obsessed with it.

I don't think there's a reason to rant on about insurance any more, since at no point did it actually relate to the topic. But you do what you feel is right, and keep babbling about it if it makes you feel good. Keep letting me know how the 'real world' works.

Oh, and I'll stay off your lawn next time.
    I think the obsession isn't an over-50 thing, it has to do when the insurance starts to really kick in... such as if you have a major medical issue, or some home-owners claim, or a major car accident. Once you've had to file a major claim, you start to care a LOT about your insurance.

Edit: for the record, my comment is solely on the question about why some people "obsess" about their insurance, I really have no opinion on what insurance companies' position on marijuana legality.
    Last edited by Fasolina; 2015-12-07 at 08:39 PM.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    TIL companies in the US can do random drug tests as part of employment requirement. :/
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I hate testing. I'm always worried that I'll fail even though I'm too cheap to buy drugs.
    I worry about failing because I never can find any drugs in time to cram before the test.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by hydrium View Post
    I want to live in your fantasy world.
    It's not a fantasy world if you're educated and have an employable skill-set.

Update - Just passed today so relieved
    Told you, you would be fine.

Its the regular smokers that have to worry not just people that have the odd puff here and there.

I have failed a urine test before, it barely shown up for THC even though I have only smoked once and that was in 1998, still unsure if it was flawed or something else, on 2nd test I was clear.

At my company I would not have someone who tests for any drugs unless they have an RX and I would be still be questionable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    I have failed a urine test before, it barely shown up for THC even though I have only smoked once and that was in 1998, still unsure if it was flawed or something else, on 2nd test I was clear.

At my company I would not have someone who tests for any drugs unless they have an RX and I would be still be questionable.
    Don't worry chances are most of the people you work with or work for you do something. Drug testing is really easy to beat.

didnt read... simply enough, if you dont abuse your body by using drugs, then you are good.. whatever it is you are doing...

if you are a damn hippie, well... in the words of nelson, ha ha. you are going to get caught.